Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you own a dressing gown?

So do all you dressing gown people get out of bed, put them on, then start doing stuff around the house in them before having a shit, shave, and shower, or do you complete your ablutions and then put the things on?

I get out of bed, put on dressing gown, head to loo, brush teeth, wash hands...go potter about and have breakfast.
Wake up.
Head for the shower.
Then I get dressed...go back for second mug of coffee or tea and off to work (from home)

I think I associate dressing gowns with my dad warming his bollocks in front of the gas fire and with my brother trying to look like Byron. I just can't stand them. My wife has a towel one that she uses instead of a towel and I don't know how you can get dry in them because you're basically wearing a wet towel. Even in winter I open the window and air dry while I shave after a shower. I have jogging pants, vests and hoodies for lounging round the house in.

Nope, used to and occasionally think about getting one but either have thick pyjamas for winter and wear shorts the rest of the year.

Getting up in the middle of the night for a pee seems to afflict everyone in my family....so it is not unusual to bump into each other on one of the landings - a dressing gown is essential (no-one wants to see their mum and dad's arse going up the stairs (and as for coming down them). Plus, it is bloody cold because we have a draughty house and an open window habit.

spellcheck is making me doubt myself. Is this how to spell draughty (drafty?)

Last edited:
I've got a big black fluffy one that lives at my g/f's so I won't scandalise anyone if I get up for a pee in the night.

I might get another for my place though. I could do with a massive white fluffy thing. Like you get in a hotel.

Hmm. Who'd be good for something like that? M&S?

Imagine louging around in this? Not very practical for making tea or washing up but absolutely essential if you have a chaise longueView attachment 269100

On my lounging days, not having a chaise longue (or indeed a living room to put one in), I take to my bed with a pot of tea, so really what I aspire is a bed-jacket rather than a dressing gown.

I would like satiny, quilted & fluffiness, but those cuffs look like they might get toast crumbs caught in them.

I have an ancient waffle robe that I used to use for darting to the bathroom in shared houses, but I never use it now.

No dressing gown, I get up, shower, get dressed. (skip shower if going gym).

I've spent the last 7 months delivering for amazon and am astounded by how many people live in their dressing gowns!!!

I've got a big black fluffy one that lives at my g/f's so I won't scandalise anyone if I get up for a pee in the night.

I might get another for my place though. I could do with a massive white fluffy thing. Like you get in a hotel.

Hmm. Who'd be good for something like that? M&S?
"Scandalise anyone"...she's with family :( but still with her....fantastic.
I would imagine John Lewis, where else, for big fluffy gowns.
I like my gown when I get home. Don't like wearing out door clothes in home and gown puts me into relax mode....without undies for some fresh air ;)

Hey, even better. Congratulations Voley. That all seems very quick :eek: ready made family can be a real bonus also.
Outing to urban wedding coming up :thumbs:

I am knitting such a thing, Ms Ordinary. Full of fluffy goaty goodness (and something called seasilk(?). Palest pink/grey. I am pondering the full bedjacket experience with a satin pussy bow. And matching bedsocks. Unfortunately, I have been knitting this for 3 years but I am hoping for a final push in time for this coming winter (only sleeves left to do).

On my lounging days, not having a chaise longue (or indeed a living room to put one in), I take to my bed with a pot of tea, so really what I aspire is a bed-jacket rather than a dressing gown.

I would like satiny, quilted & fluffiness, but those cuffs look like they might get toast crumbs caught in them.

I have an ancient waffle robe that I used to use for darting to the bathroom in shared houses, but I never use it now.
You sound like you also need someone to bring you the tea and toast and whatnot while you lounge about looking glamorous.

I am knitting such a thing, Ms Ordinary. Full of fluffy goaty goodness (and something called seasilk(?). Palest pink/grey. I am pondering the full bedjacket experience with a satin pussy bow. And matching bedsocks. Unfortunately, I have been knitting this for 3 years but I am hoping for a final push in time for this coming winter (only sleeves left to do).

Pics when its done?
It sounds lovely.

I very rarely used to wear my dressing gown but over winter and working from home it's been very useful for keeping my legs warm at my desk. I am slightly embarrassed if I have to answer the door as a) it has animals on it and b) it looks like I'm not dressed yet.

I am nostalgic for the dressing gowns of my youth in the 60s/70s - Ladybird from Woolworths. They came in red or blue with large ladybird buttons, and every time I outgrew one, the next size appeared.
You could make one I suppose - not sure what the material is as it's not clear on the picture.

Back
Top Bottom