Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Determinism, Randomness, and Free Will

when i decide something, giving the impression of free will, the decision comes from nowhere - is as random as a throw of the dice. and in that decision a decider is implied - but really there's no decider. if i suddenly have the thought "go for a bath, it's time for a bath" - that thought has come to me much like a pang of hunger comes to me. and if i then have the thought "no, i will hold off, i can have one tomorrow", that thought also has come from nothing. certainly not a decider.

Heidegger nailed it - "we don't come to thought, thought comes to us".

but still we drag around out dated, punishing modes of a subject - entirely responsible, all the time. but try and find the subject, and all you will find is more thought, thought arriving to us, constantly, out of nowhere. we are being imprinted on forever, but the trick we are told is that we are the imprinters. it's the complete reverse.

i have spend decades gazing at my navel, trying to find a subject, and all i have ever found is more thought. this to me puts free will on tenuous, word game grounds. sure, there's an appearance of a doing subject, but ultimately that subject can, in my experience, never be found.

Last edited:
it's like seeing - in seeing there is implied a seer. but try and find that seer and all you will find is seeing. the seer is implied in the seeing.

i have decided and done a thousand things today, but there's just doing, and no doer.

i rattle away at work, totally in the zone, hours past, i do shit, i get things done, i impress the boss. yada yada.

on the train home The Subject pops up "I have had a good day at work today." the subject claims it and is formed. what's it formed within? just another thought.

the whole thing happens by itself. that whole day at work was happening by itself. an imprint, thought spinning its way to me over and over. but the "self" on the train claims it. that self had fuck all to do with it lol!

we see decisions, but no-one, anywhere, knows where the decisions come from or how. we slap a "subject" onto it and spend our lives tremblign in terror.

that's no excuse to just be an arsehole or sit around all day. but it's certainly valuable in my view to losen up the idea of their being a subject always entirely doing this stuff. all of my decisions just happen.

Of course, randomness isn’t the only thing necessary for free will. But it does mean that your fate is not necessarily sealed. So, when you resist that second cookie, or turn off the TV in the evening, you can take pride in the fact that maybe, just maybe, the choice was yours after all.
Comforting?

to me it's a problem of ontology or Conventional vs Ultimate Reality (TM)

conventionally, evolutionarily, it pays to believe in doing subjects. ultimately though - hitting that damn Void - it falls apart.

So you're talking about the subject rather than where the decisions come from?
you said there's no void, i.e. just stuff that is out of awareness that we are not aware of yet. which i agree with.

the knower can know the entire accesable universe - but what is the knower? that's the void! you will never know the knower. so what i am saying is the in-observable universe is not what i meant by the void.

you said there's no void, i.e. just stuff that is out of awareness that we are not aware of yet. which i agree with.

the knower can know the entire accesable universe - but what is the knower? that's the void! you will never know the knower. so what i am saying is the in-observable universe is not what i meant by the void.

I think a 'yes' would have done there - I agree that part is more nebulous.

Or you could take the view that what is in front of the curtain is of the same nature as what is behind it.

Or you could take the view that what is in front of the curtain is of the same nature as what is behind it.
i don't know how it can't be. we are taught to focus on the details but never the context. but it's unknowable. the idea of discovering some sort of substrate to everything, i dunno how that could ever be done. but what ever it is, then it's okay to think we are it so what's the point of looking for something we are anyway?

i don't know how it can't be. we are taught to focus on the details but never the context. but it's unknowable. the idea of discovering some sort of substrate to everything, i dunno how that could ever be done. but what ever it is, then it's okay to think we are it so what's the point of looking for something we are anyway?

We've got a few more urgent problems right now anyhoo.

i'll shut up after this but i like the thought experiment of someone going up to the purley gates and saying to god "i've meditated for years trying to find ultimate, nondual reality, the substrate of everything and the fundemental nature of being."

"you should have paid child maintenance you arsehole, fuck off down the road."

i'll shut up after this but i like the thought experiment of someone going up to the purley gates and saying to god "i've meditated for years trying to find ultimate, nondual reality, the substrate of everything and the fundemental nature of being."

"you should have paid child maintenance you arsehole, fuck off down the road."

(((Alan Watts)))

I actually couldn't disagree with this more. This question is at the heart of the way we approach, design and implement everything related to people.

Come on boffins! Let get this nut properly cracked and it’s onto war and climate change next!! :mad:

D7349334-D067-48AB-9568-55BE3D9B8BFF.jpeg

<and if a passing mod could change the title to ‘PHILOSOPHICAL EMERGENCY!!!’ it might help focus peoples attention somewhat>

Last edited:
I haven't listened to this yet, but should be a great debate for interested people. List and Caruso are, imo, amongst the best proponents of the libertarian and determinist positions on free will respectively:

Oh come off it. We still had time for philosophy even back in the days when most people had to till soil in order to survive. You think they didn't have any urgent problems back then?

This urge to gut the humanities in times of crisis is really damaging, but in a way that's not directly quantifiable and thus more insidious. Part of the reason the United States is in such an awful state is because of the anti-intellectual culture that's running rampant over there. Looks like we're not that much better, if your feckless trolling in this thread is any indication.

Come on boffins! Let get this nut properly cracked and it’s onto war and climate change next!! :mad:

<and if a passing mod could change the title to ‘PHILOSOPHICAL EMERGENCY!!!’ it might help focus peoples attention somewhat>

Yeah no, as the OP I object to giving the thread such a fucking stupid title.

You do realise that we can work on more than one problem at a time, yes? "Boffins", FFS.

I don't think this is a question strictly (or at all) for the humanities tbh.

That said, it's one of those questions in philosophy where you get stuck on the question - Wittgenstein's point that sometimes there is no answer because the question is wrongly formulated and thus meaningless.

I still think questions to do with free will are ill-defined. We have certainly evolved to have such a notion within our consciousness - observing 'decisions' we've made, coming up with reasons why we made those decisions, and imagining what might have happened with a different decision. That might be all we need to then feel that we have something we call 'free will'. But when we dig down into it, the thing we think we have disappears from view.

I think a lot of the concepts we use to make sense of our conscious perception are ill-defined. Understanding is another one. What exactly does it mean to understand something? And yet we feel we have a good understanding of the term understanding! Such infinite recursions are something of a feature.

I don't think this is a question strictly (or at all) for the humanities tbh.

That said, it's one of those questions in philosophy where you get stuck on the question - Wittgenstein's point that sometimes there is no answer because the question is wrongly formulated and thus meaningless.

I still think questions to do with free will are ill-defined. We have certainly evolved to have such a notion within our consciousness - observing 'decisions' we've made, coming up with reasons why we made those decisions, and imagining what might have happened with a different decision. That might be all we need to then feel that we have something we call 'free will'. But when we dig down into it, the thing we think we have disappears from view.

I think a lot of the concepts we use to make sense of our conscious perception are ill-defined. Understanding is another one. What exactly does it mean to understand something? And yet we feel we have a good understanding of the term understanding! Such infinite recursions are something of a feature.

You're making hasty generalisations - bordering on anti-intellectualism - about vast literatures discussing these concepts in very detailed and fine-grained ways. How can you assert - in good faith and without qualification - that 'questions to do with free will are ill-defined'? What, all of them? This just suggests to me that you need to read more.

You're making hasty generalisations - bordering on anti-intellectualism - about vast literatures discussing these concepts in very detailed and fine-grained ways. How can you assert - in good faith and without qualification - that 'questions to do with free will are ill-defined'? What, all of them? This just suggests to me that you need to read more.
The concept of free will itself is ill-defined. That is my contention. And so yes, all questions to do with free will are also ill-defined.

I did what I thought was best at the time, and how could I not?

Why not offer a rebuttal?

The concept of free will itself is ill-defined. That is my contention. And so yes, all questions to do with free will are also ill-defined.

I did what I thought was best at the time, and how could I not?

Why not offer a rebuttal?

The concept of concept is ill-defined, the concept of ill-defined is ill-defined. See, anybody can play childish semantic games.

Back
Top Bottom