Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Denormalisation of alcohol

Maurice Picarda

Actually, might as well flounce.
On a day when a well-liked public figure was killed, one way or another, by booze - in a country where minimum pricing legisation has been scuppered by legal challenges from whisky interests - who's in favour of laws to make tougher for the drink industry?

Minimum pricing per unit sounds good, and could be ratcheted up in tandem with aggressive taxation. Raising the limit for legal purchase to 21 would be great. Advertising bans, plain packaging, stringent guidelines on how broadcasters feature alcohol consumption pre-watershed: all of these could work, too. And, at some point in the next twenty years, they will be applied.

So, which Urbanites would go to the barricades for Diageo and InBev?

Alcohol consumption amongst kids isn't what it used to be, it seems to have become a bit passé

people would just brew their own and its a gift for smugglers and cartels. You can't legislate these things out of existence, all you do is hand the buisness from global mecorp cunts to shady international gangs.

International cooperation would certainly be a good thing; realistically, as long as it worked at a European level, we'd be fine. And yeah, let's ban the production of alcohol without a license, and the sale of home brew kit. Might as well.

Minimum pricing per unit sounds good, and could be ratcheted up in tandem with aggressive taxation. Raising the limit for legal purchase to 21 would be great. Advertising bans, plain packaging, stringent guidelines on how broadcasters feature alcohol consumption pre-watershed: all of these could work, too.

I agree with much of what you're saying, bar raising the age to 21. I don't see why booze shouldn't be subject to at least the same restrictions as ciggies. Furthermore I'd apply the same restrictions and taxes to shitty foods, especially those aimed at kids (no more Tony the Tiger or Star Wars tie-ins) - in a few years there will be more illnesses due to sugary foods/obesity than there will due to booze or fags.

I've known families ruined by a parent spending all the food/leccy money on drink. I don't think they'd drink less if you put the prices up, the kids would just have even less to eat :(

If booze was cheaper, would they have bought more leccy or would they have bought more booze?

I find it sad. Pubs closing, which might be ok if people were off doing something else more "wholesome", but I suspect they are spending more time alone at home.

I dunno. It does appear like that but, anecdotally, my 18 year old nephew and his mates all drink. They just do it at home. Gather round a mates house at 8, have a drink and then go to a club at 11ish. They've just cut out sitting in the pub

I dunno. It does appear like that but, anecdotally, my 18 year old nephew and his mates all drink. They just do it at home. Gather round a mates house at 8, have a drink and then go to a club at 11ish. They've just cut out sitting in the pub
That's no good to me! I like a nice pub, and hope to never be in a nightclub again.

The culture of spending the years between 18 and 21 in a pub, with the very occasional lecture, plays a large part in developing unhealthy drinking habits.

As long as the age of sexual consent, when you can join the army, pay tax, etc are raised too - otherwise it makes no logical sense. When you're an adult, you're an adult! It's not like alcohol being unavailable to under 18s stops them drinking anyway.

Back
Top Bottom