Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Deforestation: Which countries are still cutting down trees?

Beavers are intent on cutting down every tree they can find - they're marching northwards due to climate change, and will cause more melting of the permafrost, dooming humanity. Clever plan to take over the planet.

5159.jpg

I saw a new beaver dam last week when I was out hiking. It's near an area that used to be forest, but humans are busy installing a highway. I hope the humans leave the beavers alone, but I wouldn't be surprised if I go back some time and find it destroyed.

Beavers are intent on cutting down every tree they can find - they're marching northwards due to climate change, and will cause more melting of the permafrost, dooming humanity. Clever plan to take over the planet.

5159.jpg

What I like in that guardian piece is the bit about melting permafrost sending global warming dangerously out of control, like it's a well managed process at the moment

The US has been adding tree cover, but its only replacing what was lost prior to 1990. I think we're up about 1.5% since then and adding trees at a rate of .3% per year.

A lot of places around the world are adding tree cover, but that's after logging old growth forests. Often the old growth forests are replaced with trees for palm oil, or other agricultural product. So there's a general loss of biodiversity, even when trees are planted.

Last edited:
Their tails are supposed to well marbled with fat and considered to be a delicacy in some parts.

What about the rest of them?
Just thinking, if we need to control numbers a bit...

I wonder whether they taste a little "woody".

Back
Top Bottom