Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

France bans short-haul flights to cut carbon emissions

In Kent? You would just go to Ebbsfleet or Ashford.

Not now mate. Both still closed. See above.

The wider point stands anyway. In these discussions people tend to consider trains to operate door to door, whilst aircraft operate from airports which are time consuming and expensive to get to. It's a very London-centric view. Tell someone in the North or West of England they should get the Eurostar to Paris instead of flying from Newcastle or Bristol, they'll laugh at you.

Not now mate. Both still closed. See above.

The wider point stands anyway. In these discussions people tend to consider trains to operate door to door, whilst aircraft operate from airports which are time consuming and expensive to get to. It's a very London-centric view. Tell someone in the North or West of England they should get the Eurostar to Paris instead of flying from Newcastle or Bristol, they'll laugh at you.
But in the France example of Marseille airport to Paris airport, the narrower point that there is no good reason to exclude this route from the ban still stands. :p

The obvious solution is a national or even European annual travel pass. You can opt in for regional national or international and it will include unlimited travel. This will be paid for by a little bit of communism ;) sure.. but also just general wise spending with all the sloshy "green" money that gets pissed away annually.

Could be for example...

£150 Unlimited regional.
£300 unlimited national.
£500 unlimited international.

It is obviously meant to be so cheap that it deters motorists. And so accessible that the "people will abuse it" argument won't hold. For those who only travel once per year there could be a "one off" fare too.

This would be great for the environment and not even cost that much money. Which is why it won't happen!

And of course, people who don't live in London have the double-whammy of getting ripped off for the train to get from their home to St Pancras too!

Eurostar only works for Londoners; and even then, only those within easy strike of KXSP.

That's nonsense! I live in Yorkshire and have got the Eurostar loads to Paris - and a long way beyond.

I know it's very unpopular but we are going to have to get used to travel being much less possible, frequent and 'convenient' in the coming years.

That's nonsense! I live in Yorkshire and have got the Eurostar loads to Paris - and a long way beyond.

I know it's very unpopular but we are going to have to get used to travel being much less possible, frequent and 'convenient' in the coming years.

Unfortunately “flying is quicker” shouldn’t mean you fly it means that we’ve made flying to frequent and cheap.

I don’t think we should be penalising once a year fliers at all, connection is good, but we do need to start ramping up the prices for people who fly several times a year and domestic flights along with private flights. We also need to invest in high speed rail and some sort of solution to borders to make Eurostar style night trains viable (maybe we could join the EU?)

I reckon it's about half an hour longer maximum to go from my house in Sheffield to central Paris by rail than by air. Much comfier for most of the journey too. If I were to take a standard size bag with me, the price would be almost no different either.

I reckon it's about half an hour longer maximum to go from my house in Sheffield to central Paris by rail than by air. Much comfier for most of the journey too. If I were to take a standard size bag with me, the price would be almost no different either.
Yeah. Pretty convenient as well as you get to London at a station that is walking distance to Eurostar. So no faffing around on the tube.

St Pancras isn't so convenient for everyone, but it's great for millions of people coming from the North either to King's Cross or Euston.

Getting to an airport can be very time-consuming and expensive. Then getting through the airport onto the plane is a long and not very pleasant experience. Then you have to repeat the process in reverse when you arrive.

without trying to slag off the whole idea of training around the place with trains

last year thought a rail sail to ireland for around 120 quid each way was a good idea to go home to dublin

every train from Euston was delayed missing each one but about 10 minutes saw one pull out so missed my ferry out bound,
got the next one ended up in dublin about midnight had to get a relative in a car to come and get me .. was suppose to get in at 18:00

on the way back the ferry left 4 hours early and i was told should of check the website .. i did 5 hours before i headed to dublin so wiped out my return train tickets
had to catch a flight back to london

and answer from the company when asking for a refunded was get to feck

Last edited:
without trying to slag off the whole idea of training around the place with trains

last year thought a rail sail to ireland for around 120 quid each way was a good idea to go home to dublin

every train from Euston was delayed missing each one but about 10 minutes saw one pull out so missed my ferry out bound,
got the next one ended up in dublin about midnight had to get a relative in a car to come and get me .. was suppose to get in at 18:00

on the way back the ferry left 4 hours early and i was told should of check the website .. i did 5 hours before i headed to dublin so wiped out my return train tickets
had to catch a flight back to dublin

and answer from the company when asking for a refunded was get to feck

I've got the RailSail about 3 or 4 times now. I had one serious problem when Trainline had given the wrong time of dep from Dublin on the tickets. Fuckwits. Other than that hasn't been too bad.

Avanti are an absolute shower of shit though.

Reactions: Ax^
Yeah. Pretty convenient as well as you get to London at a station that is walking distance to Eurostar. So no faffing around on the tube.

St Pancras isn't so convenient for everyone, but it's great for millions of people coming from the North either to King's Cross or Euston.

Getting to an airport can be very time-consuming and expensive. Then getting through the airport onto the plane is a long and not very pleasant experience. Then you have to repeat the process in reverse when you arrive.
Must admit, it would probably be an hour quicker flying back as I’d be starting from Manchester where security takes a right fucking age

Last edited:

Leaving the airport's usually a piece of piss but I have no kids so.

Going into is a fucking nightmare

St Pancras is an awful journey from Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire. If you have luggage, kids, push chairs etc. you have to get a cab across town. Then once in Paris to get the Marseille train you need another cab across town. Flight from LHR takes less than 90 minutes.

Last edited:
I can’t speak to the experience of travelling with kids and assorted paraphernalia. However, Victoria to St Pancras is only five stops on the Victoria line, with entrance and exit being pretty straightforward at both stops unless you have mobility problems. A lot of Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire etc have direct trains to Victoria.

Of course, having to take a direct Southern train to Victoria is itself a mighty expedition that requires provisions, a donkey, overnight camping equipment etc etc. So there is that to take into account. On the other hand, having to take the M25 clockwise to junctions 13 or 14 for Heathrow is also nothing to be taken lightly.

Last edited:
I can still remember the Eurostar 'lounge' and platform at Stockport Station when the Regional Eurostar project was launched

So was the terminal move to St Pancras to allow for greater connectivity to the rest of the country when the plan was for Eurostar trains to run from places other than London.

But I suppose the low cost airlines came along and changed things

Last edited:
Sure, but trains from the best part goes in to Waterloo, from there it’s a crap journey.
Most stop at Clapham, from which it is a brief platform hop to pick up a Victoria train. Or if they stop at Vauxhall, take the Victoria line from there instead.

Sure, it’s not great. Believe me, I know. Ebbsfleet was SO much better. But I don’t view it as any worse than having to drive to and park at Heathrow.

Between Waterloo and Euston from where it’s a a couple of minutes walk to St Pancras.

10-15 minutes walk. With kids, luggage, buggies. Then you get in to St Pancras and discover that there's a 40 minute queue for check in as the station can't handle the number of passengers Eurostar now carries, once through check in/immigration you can't sit down cos too many people. Sod that. Addison Lee to Heathrow, trolley to check in desk, beer in the lounge.

10-15 minutes walk. With kids, luggage, buggies. Then you get in to St Pancras and discover that there's a 40 minute queue for check in as the station can't handle the number of passengers Eurostar now carries, once through check in/immigration you can't sit down cos too many people. Sod that. Addison Lee to Heathrow, trolley to check in desk, beer in the lounge.
I wasn’t responding to other stuff. I was saying it’s a ten min bus ride to Euston from where it’s a few minutes walk to St Pancras. Is it fuck a 15 minute walk! :D

Oh, I don't for a minute doubt that people do it. Of course they do. Some people get Donald Trump tattoos, and others bisect their penises. The question is, is it sensible?

Is it really cheaper, quicker, or easier for you to travel from Yorkshire to London, and then get the Eurostar to Paris; than to go to Leeds or Manchester and get a Jet2 flight to CDG for £100?

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Back
Top Bottom