Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Banning Private Jets

Someone’s been letting SUV tyres down in the crowded narrow streets in the area of a local primary school near me. I fully support this campaign.

Ah, I did have a quick shufti…
All happens here:

Farnborough; there are plans to increase the number of flights............................
to 70,000 private jets flights a year
Average number of passengers 2.5
40% of flights are empty
each passenger is between 20 and 40 x more polluting than those on a commercial aircraft

shocking.

A very good friend lives in Knaphill, on the final approach to Farnborough, when we crash at his on a Saturday we are woken on Sunday by a constant stream of jets coming in to land, reminds me of living in Hounslow, they are that frequent. Got me thinking why are so many people arriving at 8-10am on a Sunday? Seems that nearly all of them will be empty and being positioned to take people away from there later in the day, a few will have come in from the Americas, but something stupid like 95% of them at that time are totally empty and will have flown in from all over Europe.

Last edited:
Farnborough; there are plans to increase the number of flights............................
to 70,000 private jets flights a year
Average number of passengers 2.5
40% of flights are empty
each passenger is between 20 and 40 x more polluting than those on a commercial aircraft

shocking.

But these are wealth creators - not the little people.

But these are wealth creators - not the little people.
Think of how much more money they would have if they used scheduled, commercial airlines. You do not get rich or richer by spending money, at least not unnecessarily.

Think of how much more money they would have if they used scheduled, commercial airlines. You do not get rich or richer by spending money, at least not unnecessarily.

They'd get there late, or be further from where they need to be, or be insufficiently pampered / powdered / fellated.

Will somebody PLEASE think of the wealth creators?!!

People don't travel by private jet to create wealth, they do it to avoid mixing with the Great Unwashed be it those in economy or even the pretend rich in business. It's like Louis XIV moving from the Louvre to Versailles so he didn't have to smell the whiff of peons wafting over his palace walls.

I expect most of the people on this thread wanting to ban private jets will co-incidentally think that travel modes that they like to use should be just below the bannable threshold.

There are frequent boasts on u75 about travelling business class or first class on airlines - something that significantly worsens emissions per passenger-km compared to flying in economy class which is already very harmful.

And we know that many u75 posters choose to travel by car to avoid mixing with the great unwashed.

Anyway, I would advocate that we ban everything above the 50g mark on this graph.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 14.41.09.jpg

People don't travel by private jet to create wealth, they do it to avoid mixing with the Great Unwashed be it those in economy or even the pretend rich in business. It's like Louis XIV moving from the Louvre to Versailles so he didn't have to smell the whiff of peons wafting over his palace walls.

See reasons 2 and 7 - these people are unsung heroes!.

I expect most of the people on this thread wanting to ban private jets will co-incidentally think that travel modes that they like to use should be just below the bannable threshold.

There are frequent boasts on u75 about travelling business class or first class on airlines - something that significantly worsens emissions per passenger-km compared to flying in economy class which is already very harmful.

And we know that many u75 posters choose to travel by car to avoid mixing with the great unwashed.

Anyway, I would advocate that we ban everything above the 50g mark on this graph.

View attachment 407506

Where did you find that graph, incidentally?

See reasons 2 and 7 - these people are unsung heroes!.

That's just self-justifying bollocks isn't it? An attempt to kid themselves they're not being rich snobs.

TBH if I was a billionaire then I would totally fly everywhere by private jet rather than cattle class with the grubby peasants. But I like to think I would be totally honest about it.
"Well screw you poors! I'm flying private because I am rich and influential, eat your hearts out plebs!"

View attachment 407506
If we just want to reduce CO2 per se we could ban buses, coaches and trains. If cars were banned, car drivers would switch to buses and trains. Whereas if buses and trains were banned the people currently using them would be forced to walk everywhere reducing their CO2 footprint to nil.

If we just want to reduce CO2 per se we could ban buses, coaches and trains. If cars were banned, car drivers would switch to buses and trains. Whereas if buses and trains were banned the people currently using them would be forced to walk everywhere reducing their CO2 footprint to nil.

People aren’t perpetual motion machines. Their carbon footprint would depend on what they are eating.

That's just self-justifying bollocks isn't it? An attempt to kid themselves they're not being rich snobs.

TBH if I was a billionaire then I would totally fly everywhere by private jet rather than cattle class with the grubby peasants. But I like to think I would be totally honest about it.
"Well screw you poors! I'm flying private because I am rich and influential, eat your hearts out plebs!"

Well, you can count yourself out of the Selfless Humble Billionaires Club.

People aren’t perpetual motion machines. Their carbon footprint would depend on what they are eating.
Yeah but that would be a methane and hydrogen sulfide footprint rather than a C02 one, so long as they did the walking outdoors we'll be fine.

Yeah but that would be a methane and hydrogen sulfide footprint rather than a C02 one, so long as they did the walking outdoors we'll be fine.

And the CO2 and water vapour that they’re breathing out (which would be the bulk of it).

The other thing about Farnbourgh and the wankers that run it is they grabbed a huge slice of airspace that used to be available for everyone ( gliders, microlights, light aircraft) for their business jet customers. They took more than, say Norwich airport which uses theirs’s for scheduled flights, lots of holiday flights in the summer and most of the southern North Sea helicopter traffic.

It means that people who want to fly in the SE have a much harder time now. But as long as some trust fund kid can be at their ski chalet in Valdezere 20 minutes quicker who cares…

The other thing about Farnbourgh and the wankers that run it is they grabbed a huge slice of airspace that used to be available for everyone ( gliders, microlights, light aircraft) for their business jet customers. They took more than, say Norwich airport which uses theirs’s for scheduled flights, lots of holiday flights in the summer and most of the southern North Sea helicopter traffic.

It means that people who want to fly in the SE have a much harder time now. But as long as some trust fund kid can be at their ski chalet in Valdezere 20 minutes quicker who cares…
One of the worst things about Farnborough is the international arms fairs held there, but I digress.

Let's do away with cars altogether, they are just so yesterday. Every home really should have it's own aircraft hanger or two or three
spruce-creek-2%255B6%255D-1724124187.jpg

Let's do away with cars altogether, they are just so yesterday. Every home really should have it's own aircraft hanger or two or three
View attachment 409617
Most people will look at that and think how much space it all takes up, if people want to have private planes. And some might ponder upon how this just wouldn't work if everyone did it and we designed the entirety of the built environment to facilitate it. But it's just an exaggerated version of what's already true of private car ownership.

Back
Top Bottom