Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

France bans short-haul flights to cut carbon emissions

So was the terminal move to St Pancras to allow for greater connectivity to the rest of the country when the plan was for Eurostar trains to run from places other than London.

But I suppose the low cost airlines came along and changed things

I’d have to research it but think regional was long dead by then and just general fuckery with the platforms

Not sure how it’s any more hassle than getting buses/trains to Heathrow tbh.

Am not against trains at all, but as Spymaster pointed out, for many folk outside of London Eurostar is often not the best option, especially now Ebbsfleet & Ashford have been binned off. There's a non-stop, direct bus from Guildford to Heathrow, that's a doddle. Personally I get a car service, front door to terminal and an Uber back home again, takes ~40 minutes each way, I can work in the car if I need to, with a BA silver card or business/first class flights check in and security takes less than 10 minutes, then it's off to the lounge for a drink and some food. It's far less stressful than when we go by Eurostar.

Oh, I don't for a minute doubt that people do it. Of course they do. Some people get Donald Trump tattoos, and others bisect their penises. The question is, is it sensible?

Is it really cheaper, quicker, or easier for you to travel from Yorkshire to London, and then get the Eurostar to Paris; than to go to Leeds or Manchester and get a Jet2 flight to CDG for £100?

It's not quicker or cheaper for sure (although sometimes there's not as much in it as you'd think) but it's much more pleasant for me (subjective I know...) and I do just think we need to cut down our travel so now I tend to travel less, go for longer when I do go, and accept it'll take more time and cost will be higher - although travelling less balances out the extra cost a fair bit.

I wouldn't be judgemental on those that make different choices though.

I've just booked to Berlin for 2 weeks in the late summer; back to Yorkshire all in one day, but getting there I have to stay in London the night before, but I'll do something nice that night so it's already part of the holiday. It was about £300ish return, but then it'll be my only overseas trip this year.

With trains it feels like my holiday starts when I walk out of my house, with flying it feels like my holiday starts when I'm out of the airport.

It's not quicker or cheaper for sure (although sometimes there's not as much in it as you'd think) but it's much more pleasant for me (subjective I know...) and I do just think we need to cut down our travel so now I tend to travel less, go for longer when I do go, and accept it'll take more time and cost will be higher - although travelling less balances out the extra cost a fair bit.

I've just booked to Berlin for 2 weeks in the late summer; back to Yorkshire all in one day, but getting there I have to stay in London the night before, but I'll do something nice that night so it's already part of the holiday. It was about £300ish return, but then it'll be my only overseas trip this year.

With trains it feels like my holiday starts when I walk out of my house, with flying it feels like my holiday starts when I'm out of the airport.

Dunno where in God's Own Country you are, but just looked at York to Paris and train is a couple of minutes faster than flying, which was a surprise:

A1.JPGA2.JPG

More expensive though.

Probably the posh express from York though, not my neck of the woods. But yeah it's often not such a big difference as people might think.

Oh, I don't for a minute doubt that people do it. Of course they do. Some people get Donald Trump tattoos, and others bisect their penises. The question is, is it sensible?

Is it really cheaper, quicker, or easier for you to travel from Yorkshire to London, and then get the Eurostar to Paris; than to go to Leeds or Manchester and get a Jet2 flight to CDG for £100?
I took the train to York a few weeks ago. Two hours from King's Cross. Direct, no stops! It's like you're in France or something.

There are plenty of reasons why you might take the train rather than fly. Misguided notions that you're doing something for the planet; romantic ideas of train travel based on The Orient Express, rather than the Avanti West Coast; or just old plain geekiness. The point is, for most, it's not cheaper, quicker, or easier.

Reactions: LDC
A colleague tells me she is off to Egypt on Sunday. Flight out is £11 flight back is £15.
That might just buy a single ticket by train Birmingham with a quid or two left over :facepalm:
Are they actually paying that has the final price or is that just the base price not including such things as the "Add Processing Fee", "Add Airport Fee", "Add Baggage", "Add Pilots Fee", "Add an Actual Aircraft Fee" etc that tend to get magically added on a the last moment.

That's nonsense! I live in Yorkshire and have got the Eurostar loads to Paris - and a long way beyond.

I know it's very unpopular but we are going to have to get used to travel being much less possible, frequent and 'convenient' in the coming years.
Because of reduced services, increasing prices, government policy?

I think she's winding you up. According to their website they're not flying to Egypt at the moment.
Nope. She fly's Sunday, returns the following weekend. She has a place out there and has been two or three times this year. She has possibly had 20 odd overseas breaks this year.
She knows what she is doing and how to get the cheapest of the cheap.

Are they actually paying that has the final price or is that just the base price not including such things as the "Add Processing Fee", "Add Airport Fee", "Add Baggage", "Add Pilots Fee", "Add an Actual Aircraft Fee" etc that tend to get magically added on a the last moment.
There will be few fees to add on. The only luggage she will take is a very small bag.

Back
Top Bottom