Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cycling Thread #2 - Track

twistedAM

Left Of The Dial
In this thread we get to discuss GB's inevitable medal haul and post nice pictures of Victoria Pendleton:D

I read somewhere that Cav was being considered to ride the Pursuit, which surprised me because he doesn't seem kitted out for it at all.

according to Britsih Cycling the team is as below but the press release was dated 8 July:

Steven Burke (Team Pursuit)
Mark Cavendish (Madison)
Edward Clancy (Team Pursuit)
Ross Edgar (Team Sprint and Keirin)
Chris Hoy (Sprint, Team Sprint and Keirin)
Jason Kenny (Sprint and Team Sprint)
Paul Manning (Team Pursuit)
Chris Newton (Points Race)
Victoria Pendleton (Sprint)
Rebecca Romero (Women's Pursuit and Points Race)
Jamie Staff (Team Sprint)
Geraint Thomas (Team Pursuit)
Bradley Wiggins (Individual Pursuit, Team Pursuit and Madison)
Wendy Houvenaghel (Women’s Individual Pursuit)

Hmmm, according to the beeb he is being considered but is up against Geraint Thomas who has been going really well. Link is dated 25/7 though, not seen anything more recent:

snip...

Decision won't be made until 48 hours before the event; nail-biting stuff, eh?

Hey, TV scheduling isn't too bad for those of us who don;t work mornings at least:

Friday 15 August
0930-1200: Men's team sprint qualifying and finals, men's individual pursuit qualifying, women's individual pursuit qualifying, men's team sprint qualifying
Saturday 16 August
0930-1200: Men's individual pursuit round 1 & finals, men's keirin round 1, repechage, round 2 & finals, women's individual pursuit qualifying, men's points race final
Sunday 17 August
0300-1145: Men's team pursuit qualifying and round 1, women's sprint qualifying and 1/8 final, men's sprint qualifying, 1/16 final and 1/8 final, women's individual pursuit bronze and gold, men's team pursuit round 1.
Monday 18 August
0930-1200: Women's point race final, women's sprint quarter-finals, men's sprint quarter-finals, men's team pursuit finals
Tuesday 19 August
0930-1250: Women's sprint semi-finals, classification races and finals, men's sprint semi-finals, classification races and finals, men's madison final

Have to say i never realised Cav was a pursuiter. Will be interesting indeed to see who gets it!

Watching the women's road race yesterday it became pretty clear why Cav didn't go that (the men's version that is), with those mountains around the Great Wall. However, London ain't really like that so is there a chance he'll go for in in 4 year's time?

Watching the women's road race yesterday it became pretty clear why Cav didn't go that (the men's version that is), with those mountains around the Great Wall. However, London ain't really like that so is there a chance he'll go for in in 4 year's time?

If we've got any sense in 4 years time we will design courses that suit our guys.

Hey, TV scheduling isn't too bad for those of us who don;t work mornings at least:

Friday 15 August
0930-1200: Men's team sprint qualifying and finals, men's individual pursuit qualifying, women's individual pursuit qualifying, men's team sprint qualifying
Saturday 16 August
0930-1200: Men's individual pursuit round 1 & finals, men's keirin round 1, repechage, round 2 & finals, women's individual pursuit qualifying, men's points race final
Sunday 17 August
0300-1145: Men's team pursuit qualifying and round 1, women's sprint qualifying and 1/8 final, men's sprint qualifying, 1/16 final and 1/8 final, women's individual pursuit bronze and gold, men's team pursuit round 1.
Monday 18 August
0930-1200: Women's point race final, women's sprint quarter-finals, men's sprint quarter-finals, men's team pursuit finals
Tuesday 19 August
0930-1250: Women's sprint semi-finals, classification races and finals, men's sprint semi-finals, classification races and finals, men's madison final

Was wondering about the schedule,i'll be watching. :cool:

He would have been out the back on the first of the seven laps wouldn't he?

Yeah we should just have a crit round Westminster for the men and the women's race can go round Snowdonia a couple of times. Two golds. Sorted.

Anyway, back on track

00Db7C-25714984.jpg

He would have been out the back on the first of the seven laps wouldn't he?

Yeah we should just have a crit round Westminster for the men and the women's race can go round Snowdonia a couple of times. Two golds. Sorted.

Yeah diiferent courses for men and women road race, great idea. Flat for Cav and uphill finish for Nicole!!:D

That's still a stunning picture - if she wins gold she'll be inundated with offers to advertise things, and good luck to her.

I tipped her earlier in the year for Sports Personality, because whilst we have cyclists who are just as great, I'm not sure they have the marketability of her. However, if Brad and Cav win the Madison, can anyone beat MC?

I tipped her earlier in the year for Sports Personality, because whilst we have cyclists who are just as great, I'm sure they have the marketability of her. However, if Brad and Cav win the Madison, can anyone beat MC?

Unusually both of them have personalities:)

But Cav's accomplishments came mostly on the obscurity of ITV4 and if VP wins she'll be all over the papers as she'll be Britain's most photogenic medal winner...ever:D

Unusually both of them have personalities:)

But Cav's accomplishments came mostly on the obscurity of ITV4 and if VP wins she'll be all over the papers as she'll be Britain's most photogenic medal winner...ever:D

I'm with you here, but if,

paula-radclife-bitt_785831c.jpg

wins; unlikely as it may be, the very improbability of it may tip the tottie factor.

Prefer Pendleton myself, both as an athlete and a personality, but Radcliffe deserves respect and should she do the unexpected I imagine TGBP would give her the nod.

I'm with you here, but if,

<image deleted>

wins; unlikely as it may be, the very improbability of it may tip the tottie factor.

Prefer Pendleton myself, both as an athlete and a personality, but Radcliffe deserves respect and should she do the unexpected I imagine TGBP would give her the nod.

Lordy, that's not a sight I want to see over breakfast.
The trouble VP will have is that she only has one event and could well be eclipsed by Romero who has two but has no personality.
In fact, I've got no real affinity with Romero and don't really care either way if she wins or not. She's a pro/elite athlete who switched to track. Put her in a peleton and she'd freak.
Whereas the likes of VP and Nicole have served their time in a sport that got fuck all support and backing for years in this country.
It's a nostalgic romantic view I know, and expect to get shot down but I'm just a nostalgic romantic when it comes to cycling.

True, but he did make the front page of a lot of papers, and a gold medal for him may help ITV expand their one collective brain cell and put the TdF on live terrestrial every day next year.

Back
Top Bottom