Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Custom number plates

Saw two black limos the other day, HMG followed by a simple single number.

In Ammanford. Lol. Bit incongruous like.

I think planetgeli might have been querying the significance of the plate. I was, too...
No idea. Some plates are purely personal and can simply be a persons initials, nickname or postcode even. They would only be recognised as such if the plate were from a different year to year of registration.

Surprised KKK was allowed.

The original KKK 99 would have been issued some time in the 50s or earlier. Think the list of banned combinations has got longer - number plates in the GAY and FAG sequences were issued at one time (it was only relatively recently that the american use of the latter became known in the UK), and don't think they can retrospectively ban plates that are already in circulation.

FUC was never issued, though, with or without K suffix.

More on UK number plates here.

out of curiosity, SE06 CAT could be mine for under 500 quid all in. (if you need an explanation, see my avatar and this - although postcodes never include the leading zero) - but i have made it known to friends that they can have me taken out and shot if i ever buy a personalised number plate...

I have seen a couple of dreadful ones at Brooklands, the other I cannot find and was similar to this. Fwiw I really could not live with this.

That one's a bit of a surprise - it dates from 1958, and i'm fairly sure the term was in circulation well before that.

They did skip it when its turn came round again in 1971.

Even if it is original to that car, :hmm: in quite a big way.

There is a fair amount of cross-over between classic car ownership and politics sometimes associated with a particular variety of cured pork meat...

I sometimes visit Louth where there's two taxis registered with numbers and GOY. There is no obvious reason for this.

I saw ‘SPA IN’ in Mayfair today. I am going to guess it belongs to the Spanish embassy and it was gifted to them by the DVLA.

These number plates typically started or ended with a 1, and then three characters from the country name. For example, India received the IND 1 registration and Jamaica received 1 JAM. In some cases, countries were issued plates that spelled the country name exactly, with Spain receiving the number plate SPA 1N and Fiji being issued with FIJ 1.

Back
Top Bottom