Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New "UK" plate required from 28th Sep, wtf

Jimmy White seems to drive past BB2's school at afternoon collection a couple of times a week, even though he doesn't live that close to here, so dunno why. But the tasteless prick has a white Bentley Continental with CUE 80Y as the plate.

I would expect nothing less from him. 👍

There was. JV and EE were for Grimsby, JO was for Oxford. There were many others of course. For example NEE 801G means the car was registered in Grimsby, during August 1968 to July 1969.

I used to have an I Spy book which explained these.
Yes, back in the days before the PNC in 1974 a rozzer would need to telephone the Town or County hall for the original registration and ask them to look up the keepers details on the local card index.

My MX5 has got a Cornish Flag identity sticker from a previous owner. Is that OK or a bit fash?

Kernow bys vykken!

Reactions: tim
Yes, back in the days before the PNC in 1974 a rozzer would need to telephone the Town or County hall for the original registration and ask them to look up the keepers details on the local card index.
It got me out of a parking fine once. The traffic warden said that since I was from out of town he wouldn't ticket me. I wasn't, the car was registered in Huddersfield though.

Odd, given how much effort was put into rebranding the British Olympic team as Team GB.

I suppose it's a cheapish way of keeping the DUP onside. Like Decimalisation, it's the sort of pointless change that brings out my inner Tory.

Odd, given how much effort was put into rebranding the British Olympic team as Team GB.

I suppose it's a cheapish way of keeping the DUP onside. Like Decimalisation, it's the sort of pointless change that brings out my inner Tory.
Decimalisation was one of my happiest childhood experiences - I won't hear a word said against it :D

There was. JV and EE were for Grimsby, JO was for Oxford. There were many others of course. For example NEE 801G means the car was registered in Grimsby, during August 1968 to July 1969.

I used to have an I Spy book which explained these.
I think I still have that I-spy book somewhere, I’ll have a rummage in the vault for it. Second and third letters were the registration office designators, first letter meant nothing (for three digit plates). I can still remember Bristol was AE (Lord mayor’s car is/was AE1), also HY, HT, possibly HU. Northampton (where my cousins lived) had VV, quite common to see ‘VVV....V’ plates.

Cars are just expensive here no matter what make.
Second hand too, gf’s dad got over €5000 (gf claims €9000 but I don’t think it was that much) for a 17-year old Passat with the sort of mileage you’d expect. Shame because we were hoping he could afford to keep it as a second car that we could use while we were over rather than the MIL’s titchy i10.

Second hand too, gf’s dad got over €5000 (gf claims €9000 but I don’t think it was that much) for a 17-year old Passat with the sort of mileage you’d expect. Shame because we were hoping he could afford to keep it as a second car that we could use while we were over rather than the MIL’s titchy i10.
Yes barmy prices.

Decimalisation was one of my happiest childhood experiences - I won't hear a word said against it :D
I was seven and the best bit was a public information film called "Granny Gets the Point.", which featured the superb Doris Hare hamming up senile confusion.

However, the old money was far more interesting than it's boring replacement: farthings, sixpences, thrupenny bits, florins shillings ten bob notes and half-crowns lost and all replaced by boring New Pence; and the duodecimal system did have its own peculiar logic. Everybody else has hundreds, why couldn't we have stayed different.

And I was in my late teens before I realised that there was a rather more significant D-Day in 1944.

Back
Top Bottom