Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New "UK" plate required from 28th Sep, wtf

CWSts4EWIAAVVql.jpg

At least you dont have to put up with the nonsense we have to put up with in Ireland. I guess this must be for people who forget what country they're in, but over here you have to have IRL on the left of the plate beneath the ring of European stars... Oh, hang on a minute, are we now gonna have to get new number plates with one fewer stars???
Anyway, our number plates show the county in which the vehicle was registered. Its represented by the letter or letters in the middle...eg. DL = Donegal, TS= Tipperary South, KY = Kerry, D= Dublin. But its also a legal requirement that the county name is written at the top middle of the plate... in Irish!!! ... Why??? :facepalm:
Some cunt got paid from taxpayer money to shit these regulations into existence.

View attachment 287060

I always thought the county stuff was kind of stupid in like it’s an immediate identifier for ‘out of town’ people or put another way a great target for inter city beef. France has similar with numbered ‘departments’ - never a great idea to be a Parisian car in Marseilles when it all kicks off over the football. Glad it’s not a thing in the U.K.

That said, I wish the U.K. would allow black on white rear number plates like in Ireland/France.

I always thought the county stuff was kind of stupid in like it’s an immediate identifier for ‘out of town’ people or put another way a great target for inter city beef. France has similar with numbered ‘departments’ - never a great idea to be a Parisian car in Marseilles when it all kicks off over the football. Glad it’s not a thing in the U.K.

That said, I wish the U.K. would allow black on white rear number plates like in Ireland/France.
I think recent uk plates do have an area identifier. First 2 letters are area and the 2 numbers after are year.

Most countries don't even allow personalised plated. It's mostly the English speaking countries plus a handful of others

Oh for real? I never realized this. What problem does this fix exactly?

Better hold on to my personalized 5KY 101 plate then.

More info below. No idea what the reason is. It only identifys where it was first registered though, not where the owner lives now.

I think I’ve posted this pic before, but as we are on the subject………

Attachments

• CB9064C5-A939-46E4-A22A-5A445897E6E2.jpeg
    CB9064C5-A939-46E4-A22A-5A445897E6E2.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 6
So the days when I rode around Europe and Ireland with a small saltire and SCO plate on my bike/panniers are gone?

Any police interest I had was to talk bikes/visiting Scotland and what a good idea it was that I had a big arrow sticker below the clocks to remind me which side of the road I should be driving on. :D

Jimmy White seems to drive past BB2's school at afternoon collection a couple of times a week, even though he doesn't live that close to here, so dunno why. But the tasteless prick has a white Bentley Continental with CUE 80Y as the plate.

Jimmy White seems to drive past BB2's school at afternoon collection a couple of times a week, even though he doesn't live that close to here, so dunno why. But the tasteless prick has a white Bentley Continental with CUE 80Y as the plate.
if you have the hump with any snooker player and their choice of car it should surely be stephen hendry, who drives a psychedelically painted motor in homage if you please to john lennon

I like the county name in Gaelic

So do I 🙂

And of course it doesnt mean the car owner lives in that county

I know someone who was born in Mayo but lives in Kerry. When they get a new car they register it in Mayo and get a reg with MO on it.

if you have the hump with any snooker player and their choice of car it should surely be stephen hendry, who drives a psychedelically painted motor in homage if you please to john lennon

Either this is total bollocks, or he's so embarrassed by it, he's managed to wipe out any photographic evidence from the internet.

I think recent uk plates do have an area identifier. First 2 letters are area and the 2 numbers after are year.
UK plates have ALWAYS had an area identifer. In the days before and up to ABC123Z (and the various permutations), the first two letters designated the issuing local authority.

ETA: that's not strictly true. When it went to ABC123Z, I think they'd stopped issuing registrations locally, but they carried on using an approximation of the same letters even though the registrations were centrally issued.

Last edited:
I think there was always an area code on English number plates. As far back as I can remember at least.
There was. JV and EE were for Grimsby, JO was for Oxford. There were many others of course. For example NEE 801G means the car was registered in Grimsby, during August 1968 to July 1969.

I used to have an I Spy book which explained these.

Back
Top Bottom