Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help: Stolen number plates

We may have been overestimating this criminal mastermind somewhat.

I once sold an old banger, and had the cops knock on my door about 3am the next morning, the car had been used in a ram raid, so I explained I had sold it just a few hours before, and showed them the green slip from the reg document, so they were happy enough and left.

I was amazed to get a call from the police a few days later, they thought I would be amused to know the buyer had actually filled in his real name and address on the slip and had been arrested, now that's a criminal mastermind, not! :D

I once sold an old banger, and had the cops knock on my door about 3am the next morning, the car had been used in a ram raid, so I explained I had sold it just a few hours before, and showed them the green slip from the reg document, so they were happy enough and left.

I was amazed to get a call from the police a few days later, they thought I would be amused to know the buyer had actually filled in his real name and address on the slip and had been arrested, now that's a criminal mastermind, not! :D

Fuck sakes, you don't use your own car on a ram-raid :facepalm:

Reminds me of my first car.: comprehensive MOT failure so I sold it for £20 scrap and spent the proceeds on a pair of jeans

6 months later the police came knocking as it had been used for nefarious purposes. I think that my demonstration of joy that the thing was still running was the wrong reaction.

I see that it lasted until 1987, so it had a second life in some form, and in a different colour. I miss you yellow mini 850 OGW119K

I had my number plates stolen about 10 years ago. Reported it to TVP. Heard nothing more.

You would have thought the idiots who sent the PCN would have checked that first. :facepalm:
Based on those I had, I'm pretty sure that the first actual human involved in the process was the postie when he stuck it through my door. Appealing is a pain as well since I wasn't allowed to just phone up, I had to fill in a form online and upload various photos, then they wrote another letter asking for more details which I had to send off. (I became chummy with our local postmaster during this time). The whole system is geared up to encourage you to give up and just pay the money to shut them up.
And I had to go through the whole process separately for each PCN (not allowed to refer to previous ones). It takes patience and persistence.

That would have be dealt with by an automated system, based on cameras reading number plates.
Surely it would have to access DVLA records to get the owners name and address so should be able to get the make and model of car and compare to the photo. :hmm:

Otherwise you could nick the number plates of a double decker bus, stick them on a mini and have free rein to drive down bus only lanes. :)

Surely it would have to access DVLA records to get the owners name and address so should be able to get the make and model of car and compare to the photo. :hmm:

Otherwise you could nick the number plates of a double decker bus, stick them on a mini and have free rein to drive down bus only lanes. :)

No, the system just reads number plates and gets the owners name and address from the DVLA database, it's not designed to do anything else.

There was a classic case a few years back when someone got a PCN, it was the correct car, but it was on a bloody tow truck at the time of the offence.

Oh, here it is -

1709131725733.png

Lots of stolen plates are just random. I.e. the person who steals them doesn’t really care if they match their vehicle as they will only be on there for one fuel fill up or a day or so. It’s often done like this on pool cars.

Could you get a different number plate? it's £80 to transfer + the numbers which start at about £40 plus making the plate.
It costs a bit, if you have the budget it might by worth it for not dealing with the hassle.

Lots of stolen plates are just random. I.e. the person who steals them doesn’t really care if they match their vehicle as they will only be on there for one fuel fill up or a day or so. It’s often done like this on pool cars.
Something similar happened to a colleague of mine. She didn't have her plates stolen, but some boy racers had managed to get some plates made up with random letters and numbers and used them to see how many speed cameras they could trigger.

Fortunatly the pictures showed a completely different car to hers.

have a snigger for this one.

someone cloned plates "down south" and proceeded to trigger some speed cameras and other traffic cameras, a couple of the former were on some motorway or other ...

the real vehicle in question ?
a fairly vintage tractor, that struggles to do more than approx 20mph, and that's downhill with a following wind !

You don't need to nick bus plates to drive in bus lanes with impunity, any old plates will do, so long as they're not your plates.

Back
Top Bottom