Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urbz who Know About Cars - help me pick one

I'd stay away from the new seat Ibiza's catsbum . Build quality is crap compared to pre 06. I got a newer one, the noise whistling down the A1 through the windows will drive Mrs catsbum mad. I sold it and went back to my old 03. I'm driving it till it dies.

All of the stuff about historical trends with marques or nationalities (e.g. VW reliable, Renault not) is a waste of time. If it was ever true in the first place, quality can rapidly change for the better or worse even within a single model generation. Mercedes is a great example of this.

Oh and it's a potentially bad time to buy a new car or make a significant upgrade, lots of supply issues have made things very expensive. Used cars are also more expensive so you'd get more money for selling up but it's relative.

If you can afford to wait then prices might fall significantly again in a year or two. But then again maybe it will stay as it is for a while.

Nonsense. Got any evidence for this about the newer models either?
Had one, neighbour had one. Both rusted underneath. Went to look at an 09 a couple of years ago and although the arches etc were fine, the jacking point and sills opposite were shot to shit.

My mate's been driving Fabias for decades so I would go for that out of your list. A 2ndhand Golf would be bigger and more comfy, a few yrs old might get into your price range, I was driving Golfs for about 30 yrs til I go tthe Scirocco. Golfs are more reliable than Polos ime and going from mates experience as well

I have driven most of the cars in the market through my friend's dad who owns one of the largest car parks in the city center, so when I go there I help the employees to park cars, especially when I see an ultra luxury vehicle lol, I drive them around a bit pretending to find an empty place. Based on my very short term experiences and as far as I remember, I would recommend Renault and Dacia first, in terms of ease of use and economy, then Yaris, Jazz, Fiesta in order, then finally German brands.

We've very much loved a decade of a Yaris with no significant issues

I had a Yaris in 2000. It was a fantastic car. I moved to the Toyota Auris in 2007 and it was absolutely the best car I ever had. Auris is now being called the Carolla ..reborn...
Went back to a Yaris during lockdown because I wanted a reliable car.

Yaris...all the way
Or VW Golf. But Golf is gone so expensive.

Renault has caused my dad and others a lot of problems. I dont trust Renault at all especially in really cold weather.

My sister has a really modern Polo btw and loves it. Got a good deal too pre current price rises. Id be put off by expensive servicing and repairs tho. and general VW plastic junk issues.

Why not keep the current Yaris? Unless you get a hybrid I dont hugely see the point in upgrading tbh!

I should say the Fiesta is meant to be a great car and fun to drive. But id go for a second hand one from a few years back for a better price personally.

Depends where you are - second hand diesel prices seem to have gone down in the south east what with the london ultra low emission zone (and likely to take another dive if that gets extended out to the london / m25 boundary)

If you're somewhere that hasn't got and isn't likely to get an ULEZ, and aren't likely to want to visit anywhere that has, then diesel that's not quite new enough to meet ULEZ standards might be good in terms of purchase price.

I'm not sure with with hybrids is whether the car is going to last longer than the batteries? I've had a small involvement with hybrid buses, and they tend to need the batteries replacing at sort of 'mid life' time, and it's apparently bloody expensive. (or the resale value goes down with a thump if you make it the next owner's problem.)

So, having looked at all the inferior suggestions, when does your i30 get delivered? :p:D

I've had loads of these as hire cars and I've got to say that if you just want a car to get you around with moderate cost and zero inconvenience you could do a lot worse. It's basically a better built Korean copy of a Golf.

catsbum, I don't know your preferences wrt new nearly new or used but if I had £20k burning a hole in my pocket I would probably spend £5k on a good used car (not this year's model) and keep the £15k for other things.

catsbum, I don't know your preferences wrt new nearly new or used but if I had £20k burning a hole in my pocket I would probably spend £5k on a good used car (not this year's model) and keep the £15k for other things.
But he’s said what he wants.
Also, I traded in my 2018 car last year for 10k. 2-3k more than I’d previously been offered. You’re not going to get good bargains on decent used cars at the moment so if someone can afford new and can wait a bit then it’s worth it.

I pay a fuckload a month for my car but I don’t have to MOT it, pay for a service, do any maintenance at all and in 2 years I can trade it in for an electric one which was always the plan.

Both me and my daughter have Kias. The girls is 15 years old, 110000 miles, just passed its MOT with no problems at all. Mine is much younger and I like it more than any car I've driven.

Had a few cars, but if you don't have to move around a lot of 'stuff' (you can still get stuff in it though) my best ever city car was/is my automatic Ford Fiesta.
My brother went on about getting an automatic for years, my ego refused, but I would never go back to a gear shift car.
Automatics tend to be more expensive.
Apparently the ecoboost main engine can fit on an A4 sheet of paper, the car has never struggled even with four adults uphill on a motorway.
Fiestas sell well for a reason.

In principle, I'd usually agree. But used car prices are bonkers right now. There are some cars out there that are more expensive used than new, because there's a 6 month backlog on the new ones. My car is a 2011 Note and I'd normally say it's near to worthless at that age. But in this market you can still get £3k+ for one!

In principle, I'd usually agree. But used car prices are bonkers right now. There are some cars out there that are more expensive used than new, because there's a 6 month backlog on the new ones. My car is a 2011 Note and I'd normally say it's near to worthless at that age. But in this market you can still get £3k+ for one!

We bought our car last September (second hand) , We Buy Any Car is quoting a price for it that is £50.00 below what I paid.

It's getting that way. :eek: I tend to fill at the half now, it stops me from bursting into tears.
Here the government gives a 20c per litre discount deducted at the pos. The pumps still have the prices on them, but, although it's still expensive, it's more affordable.

All of the stuff about historical trends with marques or nationalities (e.g. VW reliable, Renault not) is a waste of time. If it was ever true in the first place, quality can rapidly change for the better or worse even within a single model generation. Mercedes is a great example of this.

I agree that for mass market brands (VW, Renault,etc.) there is nothing to choose to between them on quality but certain long term themes endure in reliability surveys globally. Porsche, Hyundai, Lexus: good Jaguar, Land Rover, Jeep: abysmal.

I have a Skoda Fabia. Mine was bought with one previous owner. It's reliable, economical and has a sizeable boot for a car of it's size. It's a pleasant drive, we use it mostly for city driving with the occasional long motorway trip. Would recommend.

As someone else who is currently in the market, fabia is up there. Currently got an aygo and it’s boring as hell. Reliable but never really liked it

Back
Top Bottom