Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urbz who Know About Cars - help me pick one

Most people look for Apple Car Play and Android Auto these days, which means you can use Google Maps or the Waze app on your phone and have it mirrored on the car’s central console. All in-built SatNavs are pretty shit tbh.

This^^^^^^^ <thumbs>

No it scores badly on the basics e.g. “structures in the dashboard presented a risk of injury to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions, and protection for this part of the body was downgraded to marginal. Chest protection was also rated as marginal for both front seat occupants, based on dummy readings of chest compression.”
I admit it's not class leading or anything, in fact it's some way behind, but the star rating is led by what I described.

For adult and child occupants it scored 70% and 72% respectively, whereas the Vauxhall Mokka got 73% and 75%, yet ended up with 4/5 instead of 2/5.

I admit it's not class leading or anything, in fact it's some way behind, but the star rating is led by what I described.

For adult and child occupants it scored 70% and 72% respectively, whereas the Vauxhall Mokka got 73% and 75%, yet ended up with 4/5 instead of 2/5.

OK, but of the cars catsbum listed, it stands out as being far less safe than the others. As he listed safety as a priority I think it reasonable to exclude it. I didn’t pay any attention to the star rating.

I know nothing about cars technically (so don't listen to me?) but I do drive - a lot (was 20K a year, now about 15K). A decade ago I had a Clio and wasn't that impressed, mainly because they all had an in-built fault back then which was annoying. Swore I'd never own another Renault. So I now have a Captur :facepalm:. Bought for under half the price of a new one because it was pre-owned on finance by a pensioner who had managed to drive 7K in 3 years. I'm up to 35K now and it's never gone wrong (annual services are your friend).

Before that I had an entirely unfashionable Kia Rio, bought new for 7K. I did 100K in it including trips to Croatia and Portugal. Again, never went wrong and was super easy to drive.

Doesn't the Yaris still have a rear window the size of a postage stamp? Like its boot?

I'm on holiday and have hired a Megane. Love it.

They look shit though :D

Most cars do these days. Peugeot 208 is about the only one in the class you're looking at that doesn't look shit.

What's with the weird body creases, like these:

1650196432313.png

1650196475764.png

Besides looking shit, what are they for? The Honda civic model from a few years back was particularly bad. Looked like someone had crashed it on the way out of the factory.

Most cars do these days. Peugeot 208 is about the only one in the class you're looking at that doesn't look shit.

What's with the weird body creases, like these:

View attachment 318967

View attachment 318968

Besides looking shit, what are they for? The Honda civic model from a few years back was particularly bad. Looked like someone had crashed it on the way out of the factory.

I think DownwardDog mentioned some time ago that the creases put to add rigidity into a large piece of sheet metal so they can use even thinner metal

I like my Yaris. You won't go far wrong with one. I've got the TRD aero kit on mine because my mental car age is 19.
Yeah, like I said in the OP our current car is a Yaris but it's now 12, we've had it 11 years and it's time for something new. The price of a new Yaris gave me quite a start tbh.

Yeah, like I said in the OP our current car is a Yaris but it's now 12, we've had it 11 years and it's time for something new. The price of a new Yaris gave me quite a start tbh.

What's the price over there?

The petrol Luna is €24k here...which is roughly £19k according to converters.

20220417_132826.jpg

I like my Yaris. You won't go far wrong with one. I've got the TRD aero kit on mine because my mental car age is 19.
I know fuck all about cars but my fella does and swears by Toyota as being engineered to last. His land cruiser did >400k miles.

Are the small models as good?

Why, if it’s still performing well keep driving it is my motto. I’m in a Passat which is nearly 15 years old and utterly reliable with reasonable maintenance. It’s done just north of 150k, I’m thinking I can get it to double that. The body work is shocking, I’m a shit driver for mini bumps :oops: :D But it just starts every frickin time. Worth 700 scrap but so much more to me.

It’s diesel but I’m figuring that the cost to the environment of getting a new one is worse than driving this tank. I’m not sure about that tho.

Reactions: Chz
Why, if it’s still performing well keep driving it is my motto. I’m in a Passat which is nearly 15 years old and utterly reliable with reasonable maintenance. It’s done just north of 150k, I’m thinking I can get it to double that. The body work is shocking, I’m a shit driver for mini bumps :oops: :D But it just starts every frickin time. Worth 700 scrap but so much more to me.

It’s diesel but I’m figuring that the cost to the environment of getting a new one is worse than driving this tank. I’m not sure about that tho.
No, it's not performing well now, it's a bit fucked lol

No, it's not performing well now, it's a bit fucked lol
Ah. What’s wrong with it? I’ve had various belts and shit changed, I factor in about 500-1000 a year on maintenance, but some years it’s a service and go!

They look shit though :D
cfIeFug.jpg

I figure that a ‘new’ car is what £300pcm, so paying out even a grand a year to keep the tank tanking is saving me thousands!

Ah. What’s wrong with it? I’ve had various belts and shit changed, I factor in about 500-1000 a year on maintenance, but some years it’s a service and go!
Something to do with the suspension. It's ok with just her driving but anyone else in the car and getting on and off the drive results in scraping the pavement :D

I know fuck all about cars but my fella does and swears by Toyota as being engineered to last. His land cruiser did >400k miles.

Are the small models as good?

They are not cheap in Australia (my GR Yaris was $50k) so there's almost certainly better value elsewhere but they are competently designed and constructed. The interiors are a bit weird for European sensibilities.

I also have a Toyota 86 which isn't exactly trouble free motoring but it's so heavily modified that's almost certainly my fault rather than Toyota's.

Definitely don’t get a Peugeot or a Renault. I’ve had a terrible experience with both as my trusted mechanic was gleeful in his ‘I told you so’ which he did.

I bloody loved my Corsa. Had it 8 years with almost no hassle.

Never had a Jazz but I have a Honda CRV and really happy with it so far.

Definitely don’t get a Peugeot or a Renault. I’ve had a terrible experience with both as my trusted mechanic was gleeful in his ‘I told you so’ which he did.

I bloody loved my Corsa. Had it 8 years with almost no hassle.

Never had a Jazz but I have a Honda CRV and really happy with it so far.

I would endorse 'swerve Renault, and add Fiat'. The two worst cars I ever had.

I remember walking past some launch event in London a few years back for a hybrid-styled version of the Fiat fucking 500, all chunky wheel arches etc. I remember commenting ‘oh, look, they’ve done a version for twats now’.

'OK, we've made a brilliant little city car, what's next?'
'Let's make a big one'
'OK but the whole point of the 500 is that it's small. Easy to park, handles like a roller skate, and a great design. That's what people like about it.'
'They'll like it more if it's bigger then.'
'OK but can we at least keep the styling broadly the same?'
'No, I'm thinking more like what you'd get if a 500 got really depressed and spent a whole year sat on the sofa eating pringles and ice cream.'

And so it came to pass...
1650210105609.png

:(

Have Prius from new on an 07 plate and had an Auris before someone who 'definitely wasn't on their phone' drove into the back and wrote it off. I love my 3 series but you can't go wrong with a Toyota so I'd be another vote for the Yaris.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom