Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urbz who Know About Cars - help me pick one

Aygos have a lot of pluses, but tbh a car you can feel moving laterally on a windy motorway is less than ideal.
That's the problem with our Corsa. It gets blown about too easily. We thought of selling the Astra, but it is much more solid and steady.

Today had a test drive of and done a deal for a new Renault Clio. So new, in fact, it hasn't been assembled yet :D

Comes with loads of stuff as standard that many other makes wouldn't have. The only extras we've got are the colour and a phone charger. It's on HP over 5 years, and the salesperson thinks we may get as much as a grand for our old Yaris.

Screenshot_20220811-201006.jpg

Most people look for Apple Car Play and Android Auto these days, which means you can use Google Maps or the Waze app on your phone and have it mirrored on the car’s central console. All in-built SatNavs are pretty shit tbh.
Yahrs. And with google' or waze' you 'ave up 2 d8 traffick NFO.

Today had a test drive of and done a deal for a new Renault Clio. So new, in fact, it hasn't been assembled yet :D

Comes with loads of stuff as standard that many other makes wouldn't have. The only extras we've got are the colour and a phone charger. It's on HP over 5 years, and the salesperson thinks we may get as much as a grand for our old Yaris.

View attachment 337062
Nice. How long is the wait?

Why does anyone buy a brand new car?

(Real question not political one): why, when you know you’re burning your £ in a toilet because as soon as it’s delivered to you it is worth much less than what you paid, what’s the motivation that makes this make sense is it the nice smell?

Last edited:

(Real question not political one): why, when you know you’re burning your £ in a toilet because as soon as it’s delivered to you it is worth much less than what you paid, what’s the motivation that makes this make sense is it the nice smell?
Because it's too far to walk

New cars are actually a better deal than 3 year old cars right now. There is a major shortage so used prices are pretty high.

With a new car you get....

The latest technology and safety. Which might save your life compared to some crap 10 year old Jimny bimble
Manufacturer's warranty.
Security in knowing how the car has been treated since day 1.
Help from the dealership (maybe).
The chance to sell the car again in a few years at a great price if things dont change significantly in the next few years (I cant see things improving).
Potentially more finance and lease and loan deals than a used car. Maybe.
A BRAND NEW SHINY CAR OMG LOOK AT ME '72 PLATE BABY.

Personally id never spend more than like £3000 on a car cos im a cheapskate so I guess my new options are limited. But it does make sense sometimes for sure.

Last edited:
Never in my life would I have considered a new car, except for the past year or so. Just look at used prices - there are 6 month old cars that are more expensive than brand new ones, because you can have them now. My car is 11 years old, and wasn't exactly an expensive model to start with (bought for 10k a year old). It still shows as being worth £3000. That's absurd.

Thankfully, there's nothing wrong with my car. But if someone wrote it off tomorrow I'd be in a real bind the way things are right now.

I’ll answer even though your question isn’t exactly genuine is it!
Why not buy new? Just because it’s not your choice, it doesn’t make it the wrong decision for someone else. We all prioritise different things (if we can).
I know people that would never dream of buying a new car but they spend any spare cash they’ve got on stuff I give no shits about.

I’ve got a new car on PCP so in reality I’ll never own it and I’ll probably hand it back in a couple of years for a fully electric car.

I wouldn’t buy a new car outright and next time will probably lease as I might be able to do that on a salary sacrifice scheme.

I love it, it’s gorgeous. It’s comfortable, it’s lovely to drive, it has sensors and camera to help me park.

I don’t have to MOT it and my service is included in the finance and because of my warranty, most issues would be covered and wouldn’t cost me anything.

So I pay a high monthly amount for no hassle. I’ve had car after car that I’ve had to spend loads on and it makes me anxious. I’m sick of breaking down, worrying, spending money on repairs or scrapping cars.
I have to drive for work and am based over four counties at the moment so if I’m going to spend hours and hours in my car I’ll make sure I enjoy it.

Plus, as others have said, used cars are really expensive right and with finance deals it’s probably cheaper to buy new.

People say with a new car purchase “you lose thousands as you drive it off the forecourt” etc, but the value of the car shortly after purchase is entirely irrelevant - what matters is the total cost of ownership for the period that you will own it, and whether the things it provides to you are worth that cost compared with other ways of acquiring a car.

Anyway Steel Icarus, even though I have a deep seated but irrational hatred of Renault because of a very old Clio, I hope you enjoy your lovely new car and you don’t have to wait too long.

I got really lucky because the exact car and spec I wanted was in stock in the UK. I think it was one of the only ones so I just had to wait for it to be delivered here.

My CX3 was about 3 years old when we bought it 4 or so years ago and touch wood, all it has cost is routine servicing, Mots and petrol. Because it was used, we got top spec and it's certainly proved it's worth. That said, like many modern cars it's just boring.

My advice to those thinking of selling a car the day after after they've bought it would certainly be not to get a brand new one, but one a few months old. But if you're planning to keep it a few years, why wouldn't you buy a brand new car? Ditto choosing the colour. Buy what gives you pleasure ffs, because for the most part, if one can afford to spend upwards of 18k on a vehicle, your future finances are not going to be wrecked by the proportionally small savings realised several years later if you had bought a car that's not new, and or one with a boring colour, instead of a brand new car of the specs and colour you really like, and which is going to give you much more joy.

I liked the Corsa when I drove it. Some of the Korean cars have very long warranties, if you decide to buy outright. Honda Jazz also generally get decent write ups

I hired a brand new Fabia this week and it's a pretty well rounded and equipped car- couldn't tell you which trim it was though. But even though it was in the B rental category, it feels more like a C category set of wheels.

Another vote for not going wrong with a Toyota . Yaris estate woukd be my preference. Alternatively a very low milage used Prius will tick all your boxes.

Won’t set your heart aflame but will do everything you want. and keep doing it forever.

Because massively expensive. You can buy a solid second hand car 3-4 k and actually own it as opposed to the lease scam. Way better for the environment too.
good article this
" if you really need a car, buy an old one and use it as little as possible"

Back
Top Bottom