Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Children to be banned from cycling to (one particular, London) school without number plates

I'm not talking about a bit of education - I'm talking number plates.
Thank you so much for affording me this opportunity!!! :D

How much kinetic energy does a pedestrian have at walking pace, compared to a bicycle at 30mph?
How many people get run over and killed under the wheels of a pedestrian each year?
Where would we attach the number plates?
Who would police it? Police resources are already stretched too far. How about spending more resources catching those pesky red-light jumping cyclists who keep endangering our lives!
But pedestrians already have insurance, for their iPhones!
Road tax? You think your tax pays for the roads? There's no such thing as road tax!
But whatabout bikes?

I tell you what Saul, if you just rant on a bit longer and a bit less coherently they'll definitely bring in mandatory registration and insurance for cyclists.

Oh shit no they won't will they? You've already lost haven't you? You and your rage are insignificant aren't they? That's a shame.

Thank you so much for affording me this opportunity!!! :D

How much kinetic energy does a pedestrian have at walking pace, compared to a bicycle at 30mph?
How many people get run over and killed under the wheels of a pedestrian each year?
Where would we attach the number plates?
Who would police it? Police resources are already stretched too far. How about spending more resources catching those pesky red-light jumping cyclists who keep endangering our lives!
But pedestrians already have insurance, for their iPhones!
Road tax? You think your tax pays for the roads? There's no such thing as road tax!
But whatabout bikes?
Aha, I am delighted that YOU have forwarded ME this opportunity! :D

So, where is the benchmark? At what kinetic energy level do we draw the line? What about people on roller skates, say? Skateboards? Would, perhaps, a pedestrian wearing a 50kg rucsac cross the kinetic energy threshold? Or someone very overweight, running?

I think we need some clarity here.

I realise that no-one likes him, but after he has died from the latest rage-induced stroke, I'll offer to give the eulogy at Saul's funeral.

It would be a shame to be talking to an empty room so a few volunteers to attend would be nice. Please.

What? No-one? How about I pay for a few sarnies afterwards...?

I realise that no-one likes him, but after he has died from the latest rage-induced stroke, I'll offer to give the eulogy at Saul's funeral.

It would be a shame to be talking to an empty room so a few volunteers to attend would be nice. Please.

What? No-one? How about I pay for a few sarnies afterwards...?

Is there an open bar?

Is there an open bar?

It's what Saul would have wanted
2ea2d71ba5374e9b32bf49c873c8f167

Imagine the carnage if the same percentage (around 95%) of motorists drove like those cyclist dickheads? :eek:

If 95% of motorists switched to bikes you mean? Thousands of lives saved per year. A reduction in mortality greater than that which would be observed if all infectious diseases were eradicated overnight. So not exactly what you'd call carnage.

If 95% of motorists switched to bikes you mean? Thousands of lives saved per year. A reduction in mortality greater than that which would be observed if all infectious diseases were eradicated overnight. So not exactly what you'd call carnage.
That wasn't what I was saying but it is interesting. Could you explain how you arrived at that conclusion? Preferably with some nice graphs and venn diagrams?
I believe the opposite would be true (I don't have diagrams or graphs, sorry) because imagine all that cyclist rage, and multiply it by a factor of X. Then factor in all that excess smug. It would be like smog, but smug. The air would be polluted with smug. There would be carnage and deaths. Thousands of deaths!

That wasn't what I was saying but it is interesting. Could you explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

In 2013 there were 1,713 deaths in Great Britain resulting from road accidents. For the sake of neatness let's round up the number of people killed by pedal cyclists with no motor vehicle involvement to 1 per annum, even though the actual rate of such incidents has been more like 0.7 per annum over the last decade or so. So we've got 1,712 deaths. 5% of motorists are still driving motor vehicles in your scenario so we'd still expect 86 deaths on the roads, rounding up again. That's a saving of 1,626 souls from your ingenious plan to get all the motorists to behave like cyclists.

Elsewhere in 2013 there were 1,458 deaths from infectious diseases in England and Wales. Assuming a comparable rate of such deaths in Scotland, and using only fag packet maths, we must add 145 dead Scots into the mix for a Great Britain total of 1,603. So your plan would in fact save 23 more lives than eradicating all infectious diseases, but given my slightly fuzzy maths we should probably just call it even stevens.

In 2013 there were 1,713 deaths in Great Britain resulting from road accidents. For the sake of neatness let's round up the number of people killed by pedal cyclists with no motor vehicle involvement to 1 per annum, even though the actual rate of such incidents has been more like 0.7 per annum over the last decade or so. So we've got 1,712 deaths. 5% of motorists are still driving motor vehicles in your scenario so we'd still expect 86 deaths on the roads, rounding up again. That's a saving of 1,626 souls from your ingenious plan to get all the motorists to behave like cyclists.

Elsewhere in 2013 there were 1,458 deaths from infectious diseases in England and Wales. Assuming a comparable rate of such deaths in Scotland, and using only fag packet maths, we must add 145 dead Scots into the mix for a Great Britain total of 1,603. So your plan would in fact save 23 more lives than eradicating all infectious diseases, but given my slightly fuzzy maths we should probably just call it even stevens.
That doesn't take into account the many thousands of people who would die from inhaling the glut of smug. Nor does it take into account that if everyone rode bikes, then cyclists would only have other cyclists to attack, and, unlike car drivers, cyclists aren't protected by a metal cage.
The death toll would increase at least threefold, I reckon. Maybe more.

I fear this could be a load of wank. Frank.

I fear this could be a load of wank. Frank.

Town in Spain banned cars in 1999.

'For me, this is paradise': life in the Spanish city that banned cars

On the same streets where 30 people died in traffic accidents from 1996 to 2006, only three died in the subsequent 10 years, and none since 2009

I don't know any detail about this town btw but shifting people wholesale from cars to bikes would radically reduce the number of road deaths for sure. It's why West Midlands police are not interested in policing cyclist behaviour, only driver behaviour, to reduce road deaths in this region.

Country went to the dogs when kids stopped riding bikes like this to school*.

09BA33BE-4B42-4266-8F2B-444E2A45EEAF.jpeg

* My communist parents wouldn’t let me have one on some spurious safety grounds.

Town in Spain banned cars in 1999.

'For me, this is paradise': life in the Spanish city that banned cars

I don't know any detail about this town btw but shifting people wholesale from cars to bikes would radically reduce the number of road deaths for sure. It's why West Midlands police are not interested in policing cyclist behaviour, only driver behaviour, to reduce road deaths in this region.

I'm not a pro or anti cyclist, but that article made for nice reading. I think I would like to see more towns/cities made car free thru their centres. But only the centre, and then the infrastructure must be in place, adequate and affordable car parking outside and public transport to take people there as no more cars.

sounds ideallic!

Back
Top Bottom