Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace 20/21 Season: Eze does it.

I liked Upton Park: you were always guaranteed goals but it was a toss up as to which end. Always disliked Milwall, probably because of their mutant fans. Can’t say I liked the new one much either: remember attending a cup match as an away (Everton) fan being highly amused by the home fans trying to scale a 200 foot metal wall to get at us: like a scene out of Planet of the Apes frankly. Never found much atmosphere at old Spurs ground or even Highbury. The latter was like a library. As for the old Spurs it reminded me of the Antarctic: deathly silence until Spurs scored then you would have a sudden burst of noise which reminded me of a penguin suddenly crying out amidst the desolation.

I liked Upton Park: you were always guaranteed goals but it was a toss up as to which end. Always disliked Milwall, probably because of their mutant fans. Can’t say I liked the new one much either: remember attending a cup match as an away (Everton) fan being highly amused by the home fans trying to scale a 200 foot metal wall to get at us: like a scene out of Planet of the Apes frankly. Never found much atmosphere at old Spurs ground or even Highbury. The latter was like a library. As for the old Spurs it reminded me of the Antarctic: deathly silence until Spurs scored then you would have a sudden burst of noise which reminded me of a penguin suddenly crying out amidst the desolation.
Was walking through Tottenham Marshes in the pitch black night on my tod once. Had no idea Spurs were playing a midweek game a mile or two along the way. Suddenly this hiss-roar thing erupts like some seething evil spirit as Spurs score - scared the bejeesus out of me :D. Kind of supports your theory really.

Hated with a passion Upton Park, possible the most racist ground I have visited. Even young boys were coming out with vile racism, without irony.

A library is exactly where you'd expect to find a professor
Fortunately tyrant David Cameron didn't manage to close Woking library so it still stands. I have tweeted them to tell them to go 7 days a week rather than 6.

Last edited:
Hated with a passion Upton Park, possible the most racist ground I have visited. Even young boys were coming out with vile racism, without irony.
And Milwall? Forgot to mention a visit to the old ground vs Man City. Their black goalkeeper (Alex Williams?) got relentlessly abused throughout far worse than anything I ever saw at West Ham. And one of the culprits spent the match trying to light a match in the pouring rain. He failed: summed up Milwall for me

Many amusing memories from the Den, mainly concerning thick, overhyped comments about their team :D
Also remembered for the hostile atmosphere and fights which happened there, though remember the time when they hosted
Yeovil I think it was who had a group of vocal supporters in the wrong end and it passed without a hitch, I think.
Upton Park was definitely the worst for racism.

I don’t live too far from there, on match day it used to be horrendous at times in/outside some of the pubs - have seen plenty of vile behaviour, really sickening stuff.

I don’t live too far from there, on match day it used to be horrendous at times in/outside some of the pubs - have seen plenty of vile behaviour, really sickening stuff.
I read Colin Ward's "Steaming In" which I found in my laundry room in my council block about hooliganism in the 1960s and 1970s and the country was an utter Bedlam.

There was that infamous documentary on 'wall. When asked why he did it one hooligan was noted to reply, in a broad London accent:
Well I love me mum done I, well everyone luvs their mum!

Orient have messed up with those flat blocks in the corners of their ground. Reeks of lack of ambition and will surely hold them back.
Haven't been to the O's ground for yonks, but I've cycled by it a lot.

Orient are not rich, never have been. A community club in a quite humble part of London in the shadow of West Ham and Tottenham. If Leyton Orient had the shedloads of free taxpayers money that West Ham have had it would be a different story.
They have developed their ground with the flats in the corners and a new stand opposite what was previously their main stand.
Ironically the Leyton Orient architectural development has echoes of the Sainsbury’s end at Crystal Palace.
You won’t take to me writing this, but as a visiting fan going to Brisbane road is a better experience than going to Selhurst Park.
Easy to reach, friendly people and staff in a characterful location and good acoustics for noise.
Leyton Orient are way down the list of London clubs to dig out, sneer at or patronise.

Haven't been to the Orient since I can't remember when but vaguely recall seeing the lions play there.
That's not an easy ground to get to?

Haven't been to the Orient since I can't remember when but vaguely recall seeing the lions play there.
That's not an easy ground to get to?
I go up, well... used to, now and again cos I can get a bus from (almost) the top of my road all the way there, takes about 40 mins.

You go to the tube station, get off and walk ten minutes down the road to Brisbane road.
A shorter walk than the schlepp from Norwood Junction, or Stratford to the Taxpayers Stadium, as for going to Tottenham by tube, the schlepp up from Seven Sisters is a pain in the arse.

You won’t take to me writing this, but as a visiting fan going to Brisbane road is a better experience than going to Selhurst Park.
Well you're more likely to come away with a win, that's for sure! :D

They got royally shafted by the Olympic Stadium debacle, but the flats sell off is an own goal on their part.

The friendly, bland Leyton Orient experience (if similar to how it used to be) is really not my idea of an exciting day out, but to each their own.

Not in the slightest bit bland in my experience.
I see it as kind of authentic.
If you want the blandness of a computer game go to Stamford Bridge.

My first ever away game was Brisbane Road, so it does hold some fond memories of that day. I also had loads of O's mates growing up (in Hackney). But I'm afraid they just yawn me as a club big time.

I've had some fantastic lower league away days in recent years. Peterborough away, and Doncaster away really stand out - travelled to both with my son. Such a different vibe to the Prem, especially the big stadiums. Not got much appetite for the authentic Orient experience though. If we drew them in the cup I'd go.

Top marks.
For a Londoner a cup game away at Leyton Orient means there are hardly any excuses to miss it.
Bland though?
Nah.

Gawd. Best away game ever been to. All many many seasons ago. Ignoring the obvious at the Goldstone; Anfield, or Leeds in the cup. Relegation/survival matches at Wrexham or Stockport. The blinder was away at Roker under Allison's stewardship, the pomp, the hype, the win. I was one of those that arrived at half time and very nearly did not get in.

Nifty youngster by all accounts. Other big clubs have their eyes on him though. PV is on record as saying he is going for attacking football.

Back
Top Bottom