Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace 20/21 Season: Eze does it.

People naturally love their home grounds and all they associate with it.
However is it realistic for Selhurst Park to continue into the future simply left as it is?
It is pretty hard to get to, and once there the accommodation and facilities for fans is poor.
I might be correct in saying that even the wonderful Leyton Orient have improved their facilities more recently than Crystal Palace.
Actually from memory every ‘London’ club has improved their facilities more recently, haven’t Barnet got a new stadium?
The only other local club with recent league experience to compare with Crystal Palace in terms of fan accommodation investment in recent years is probably Dagenham and Redbridge.

However is it realistic for Selhurst Park to continue into the future simply left as it is?
It is pretty hard to get to, and once there the accommodation and facilities for fans is poor.
I might be correct in saying that even the wonderful Leyton Orient have improved their facilities more recently than Crystal Palace.
Actually from memory every ‘London’ club has improved their facilities more recently, haven’t Barnet got a new stadium?
The only other local club with recent league experience to compare with Crystal Palace in terms of fan accommodation investment in recent years is probably Dagenham and Redbridge.
Accommodation? It's not a hotel. Do any other clubs have accommodation.
Facilities are generally ok, apart from in the Arthur Wait Stand, where they are out of date.
Any new stadium would lack the fantastic atmosphere at Selhurst.

Accommodation? It's not a hotel. Do any other clubs have accommodation.
Facilities are generally ok, apart from in the Arthur Wait Stand, where they are out of date.
Any new stadium would lack the fantastic atmosphere at Selhurst.
I agree that a new stadium ruins traditional atmospheres.
You only have to look at Millwall, West Ham and Arsenal to see that.
Maybe facilities would be a better word than accommodation, but for the ticket price in the camera side of the ground, £120 quid for the centre of that stand against Brentford for example you get a not great view, terrible bogs, and dreadful catering.
How long is that sustainable?
Prices out a lot of people too.

I agree that a new stadium ruins traditional atmospheres.
You only have to look at Millwall, West Ham and Arsenal to see that.
Maybe facilities would be a better word than accommodation, but for the ticket price in the camera side of the ground, £120 quid for the centre of that stand against Brentford for example you get a not great view, terrible bogs, and dreadful catering.
How long is that sustainable?
Prices out a lot of people too.
£120? Tickets are normally about £40-£50.

I looked on the internet although this was the place I got the info, couldn't find it on the club site, can you post a link?

That site is a rip off, and Palace haven't started selling tickets for next season yet. My season ticket was £550

Viera is an interesting call. Almost a wild card choice.

Having been manager of Nice and the Man City u23s he'll no doubt have a lot of contacts. Whats the chance that he will bring in a few young new players who wouldn't get a chance at those clubs to bring them through?

It's going to be an interesting season for Palace and I hope Viera does well

The ticket prices for individual games have not been decided yet?
I expect they've been decided, but they aren't on sale as we don't know what restrictions will be in place. It's surprisingly hard to find ticket prices on line. The last time I bought an individual ticket was 2 years ago and it was £25.

There's a large scale development plan in place and (apparently) funded, which is being held up by negotiations on a land sale issue with a nearby Sainsbury's. This saga has been dragging on for a couple of years now, but the long and short of it is that stadium renewal is in progress, just not at a very fast pace.

Plans look nice enough. Various local and City-wide permissions have been granted, and there are plans for some compulsory purchases of residential homes I believe. However, lockdown would have been the ideal time to proceed, and things have gone very quiet on the development front.

4480x546.jpg

Last edited:
So where is the picture above supposed to be situated?
That's the proposed New Stand. Holmesdale is already modern and fine. The other two stands will stay as they are for now. The Whitehorse doesn't matter too much as it is tiny and can't really be developed (Sainsbury's and residentials). The Arthur Waite stand badly needs redevelopment but is not part of the current plan.

That's the proposed New Stand. Holmesdale is already modern and fine. The other two stands will stay as they are for now. The Whitehorse doesn't matter too much as it is tiny and can't really be developed (Sainsbury's and residentials). The Arthur Waite stand badly needs redevelopment but is not part of the current plan.
Leaving aside personal loyalty which stadium in London is the best (maybe to worst) in anybody’s opinion?
I think West Ham is the worst because they got it for free from Boris Johnson, they betrayed their loyal support at the great Upton Park, the journey there and the sight lines once there (too far from the action) is crap, prices alienate as well.
It pisses me off I am paying for or have paid for a free stadium for them, Leyton Orient could do with some of the money we have all pumped into West Ham…indeed give the equivalent money to each club to even things up.
My favourite stadium used to be the old Highbury, and the location of Fulham (listed stand to boot!) is fantastic.
I would say that Selhurst Park overall is in the bottom two or three London stadia as things stand.
There is a case to be made that Queens Park Rangers Kyran Prince stadium, and Charlton Athletic’s Valley are the best two London stadia based on history, sympathetic development, location and ease of getting there.
I have not been to the new Wimbledon or Brentford grounds, but have been to every London stadium several times.

Leaving aside personal loyalty which stadium in London is the best (maybe to worst) in anybody’s opinion?
I think West Ham is the worst because they got it for free from Boris Johnson, they betrayed their loyal support at the great Upton Park, the journey there and the sight lines once there (too far from the action) is crap, prices alienate as well.
It pisses me off I am paying for or have paid for a free stadium for them, Leyton Orient could do with some of the money we have all pumped into West Ham…indeed give the equivalent money to each club to even things up.
My favourite stadium used to be the old Highbury, and the location of Fulham (listed stand to boot!) is fantastic.
I would say that Selhurst Park overall is in the bottom two or three London stadia as things stand.
There is a case to be made that Queens Park Rangers Kyran Prince stadium, and Charlton Athletic’s Valley are the best two London stadia based on history, sympathetic development, location and ease of getting there.
I have not been to the new Wimbledon or Brentford grounds, but have been to every London stadium several times.
You liked the Highbury library?

You liked the Highbury library?
Yes.
I am not only using the ephemeral notion of atmosphere as a guide, and anyway at the old Highbury in my experience there was plenty of atmosphere generated by away fans.
You get a different kind of atmosphere at Lords Cricket ground but it is arguably the best sports stadium in London.
Going back to Crystal Palace I think that notwithstanding current success, Selhurst Park as is will always represent a kind of glass ceiling compared to other London football clubs.

Yes.
I am not only using the ephemeral notion of atmosphere as a guide, and anyway at the old Highbury in my experience there was plenty of atmosphere generated by away fans.
You get a different kind of atmosphere at Lords Cricket ground but it is arguably the best sports stadium in London.
Going back to Crystal Palace I think that notwithstanding current success, Selhurst Park as is will always represent a kind of glass ceiling compared to other London football clubs.
Fair enough. Never got to Highbury but read Nick Hornby at school and like watching games from there on YouTube in the '1-0 to the Arsena' days

The old Highbury was actually a nice ground to visit. Once upon a time Arsenal fans used to make a racket, particularly North Bank. I feel like they were the earliest victims of the gentrification of the game. The new stadium, just like Spurs' one, is an abomination. Those big corporate leisure complexes really don't work for club football. What was left of Arsenal's atmosphere in particular is gone sadly.

I hate QPR's ground. I quite like close, small stadia, so I should like it, but they've boxed off the sections too much, particularly the lower away end, so the stadium feels weirdly disjointed. Plus it lacks character for me - would probably be my bottom place ground.

Completely agree about the Hammers move to London Stadium. Ridiculous. They've got a completely watered-down feel as a club now as a direct consequence.

I haven't been to the Valley since it was a crumbling mass. It had a decent sense of scale even then, but I've no idea what it's like now.

Sorry to say it, but my last couple of visits to Stamford Bridge have been like a warning of how football might die as a spectator sport. Really insipid atmosphere presumably because of day-tripper tourists displacing true blues. They seem to have somehow fixed the problem of the stands being too far away from the pitch, but it hasn't helped the atmosphere. All the big London clubs seem to have travelled in the wrong direction with this.

New Den probably suits 'Wall. It's generic - but they add character (like it or lump it) as a club. I went to the old Den a few times and that felt more unique, but I don't feel like the newer stadium killed the buzz there too much.

New Wembley is pretty horrendous too. I watched gridiron there, and it's great for that. Enjoyed our cup finals too. Lines of sight are fantastic from all over the ground. But the concourse stuff really fucks me off - it's like being in a shopping mall. You can probably get a pedicure somewhere at half time.

I love Selhurst by association only. I was really eager for us to make the move to the park, but it became obvious really quickly that it wasn't going to happen (a very well organised nimby army with keenly sharpened pitchforks and deep wallets), and I think Parish was wise to duck out early and hard. In truth though the Holmesdale is a very enjoyable modern footy experience, with a good balance between old school atmosphere (and the occasional punk gig in the concourse) and Nu Skool facilities (like the craft ale bar :thumbs:). Only need catch up on two other sides and we'll be fine.

Let's just give the award to Fulham. It's pretty hard to argue with the cottage and the river.

I thought the old Den was the best asset Millwall had.
The move diminished that.
The Valley is far removed from the crumbling wreck it once was. The away end isn't ideal though. But it is a traditional home and only about two or three minutes from the station.

The Valley is far removed from the crumbling wreck it once was. The away end isn't ideal though. But it is a traditional home and only about two or three minutes from the station.
Yeah, I mean, some things are odd like that. New Den is just like all the grounds I really hate, but I don't mind it. Loftus Road is more like the kind of ground I like, but I really can't stand it.

Saw Charlton play Palace at Selhurst in 1990 something and all I remember from them is Scott Minto.

Back
Top Bottom