Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Oh yes, I know. That's not what I'm asking about. I wanted to ask for suggestions for interesting and cheap ways to make nice legs :)

Good thinking. I'll take a look. No way I'm getting the tools for cutting down metal, so they'll have to be the right length.

viking knitting :)

22254384788_6a57b6338d_z.jpg

22416082616_400dd4ec8f_z.jpg

I've finished another pair of socks :) I don't know why people complain about Kitchener stitch, it's not that difficult.

I have wool for 3 more pairs and then some luxury wool for another two pairs. I'm planning to practice until I'm expert at sock making and then move on to more complex garments.

I've finished another pair of socks :) I don't know why people complain about Kitchener stitch, it's not that difficult.

I have wool for 3 more pairs and then some luxury wool for another two pairs. I'm planning to practice until I'm expert at sock making and then move on to more complex garments.
I've yet to have a go at sock making - it was my new years resolution to lean this year and I haven't done it, yet. Can you recomend a suitably basic pattern? bearing in mind I can yet read a patterns.

I've yet to have a go at sock making - it was my new years resolution to lean this year and I haven't done it, yet. Can you recomend a suitably basic pattern? bearing in mind I can yet read a patterns.
I've seen sock knitting kits somewhere recently. They have all you need to knit pair but I can't remember where I saw them :(

Why yes! I'm assuming you can knit and pearl and look any other necessary stitch up on youtube?

I knit socks on double pointed needles, they are not as bad as you think at first, "like wrestling with an octopus" yes but kind of fun. Just concentrate on the bits you are knitting with and ignore the other needles.

I first learnt with this pattern. It has detailed pictures for every single step and I'd never have conquered the sock mountain without it.

Silver's Sock Class

Then I've more recently started using this pattern which is a step back and is helping me to understand the maths and the theory behind it rather than blindly following steps.

Winwick Mum: Basic 6ply boot socks - free pattern and tutorial

Good luck :) It's such a satisfying skill to have.

Is that copper wire bob? It looks good on your wrist :cool: I can't imagine how you do that using what looks like a cheese board with holes in :D but I like it.
yeah, it's tarnished a fair bit wearing it since. fine silver could look lovely and would stay bright :)

you french knit the wire around a wooden stick (mandrel) you can pick up quite a rhythm. then you draw the tube through the holes large>small which compresses the knitting, narrows and lengthens the tube. and rubs out *all* the mistakes :D

Why yes! I'm assuming you can knit and pearl and look any other necessary stitch up on youtube?

I knit socks on double pointed needles, they are not as bad as you think at first, "like wrestling with an octopus" yes but kind of fun. Just concentrate on the bits you are knitting with and ignore the other needles.

I first learnt with this pattern. It has detailed pictures for every single step and I'd never have conquered the sock mountain without it.

Silver's Sock Class

Then I've more recently started using this pattern which is a step back and is helping me to understand the maths and the theory behind it rather than blindly following steps.

Winwick Mum: Basic 6ply boot socks - free pattern and tutorial

Good luck :) It's such a satisfying skill to have.
Thank you will look later. I can knit/pearl/reduce ok and still learning everything else. so can do stockinette but not much else. I've made up hats and jumpers without patterns (some were even wearable) So I'll probably be ok with working out the maths bit. Thanks.

hey crafty crew. just wanted to share a <squee>

i've been invited to show at the selvedge magazine xmas fair in chelsea :) one of their organisers came in today to see someone else in the studio and ended up getting distracted by my books - good day for me to be working late :cool: i fucking <3 selvedge i have a massive box of them in the studio that i use to flatten stuff :D

it costs a fiver to get in but i'd get a few day tickets along with the stand, give me a shout if you're keen to come :)

i have *some* - been distracted by the show we're putting on in cardiff next week and producing a catalogue for that. once it's out of the way i can makemakemake for the rest of november. i think i'm gonna need a bigger suitcase :D

Back
Top Bottom