Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I never liked enamel. I'm not keen on gems either, I just like metals :D
i'm really keen to explore guilloche - you chase the metal underneath (usually aluminium but could be silver) and overlay with flat, translucent, enamel. it's quite modern in style, not overly traditional, and i reckon there's potential for using it with 3d printers or cnc machines :hmm:

... makume gane ...
i just looked this up i'd never heard of it. i studied archaeology a lifetime ago and pattern welded swords - like at sutton hoo - are some of the coolest things i've ever seen. we should seriously arrange some kind of cultural exchange - i get to pattern weld you get to letterpress ;) or weave, or spin... :D

i just looked this up i'd never heard of it. i studied archaeology a lifetime ago and pattern welded swords - like at sutton hoo - are some of the coolest things i've ever seen. we should seriously arrange some kind of cultural exchange - i get to pattern weld you get to letterpress ;) or weave, or spin... :D
My dalliance with makume gane and the sword at Sutton Hoo have very little in common. :D

Although if I can ever afford different colours of gold instead of copper I may have another go :D

In other news, I want to find a pattern for a fairisle pull on hat to knit for christmas present stocking fillers. If anyone knows of a simple-ish one?

Last edited:
I like that hat. I'm baffled by how that wool works but I'll have a look when get back from work. I signed up to ravelry when I was trying to make my sarah lund jumper a few years ago. I'll look on there too. Cheers :)

I REALLY want to get back into doing crafty stuff. I used to do loads but the last few years, other stuff (mostly work and just total non motivation) has taken over.
I'm quite interested in knitting some groovy leg warmers for winter cycling. Has anyone knitted leg warmers before &/or can anyone direct me to a decent pattern? I've had a look on ravellery but there was so much to trawl through & I couldn't really find anything I liked...

Doubly stranded dk (with a 9mm hook) mostly crocheted blanket. No granny squares or lace work, I want this to be fairly draughtproof without being too rigid or heavy. It's a yarn eater alright. :eek:

I'm quite interested in knitting some groovy leg warmers for winter cycling. Has anyone knitted leg warmers before &/or can anyone direct me to a decent pattern? I've had a look on ravellery but there was so much to trawl through & I couldn't really find anything I liked...
I made these and they worked out well. Any legwarmers have a tendency to fall down though. I think I threaded elastic thread through the top ribbbing in the end.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/road-tested-legwarmers

I made these and they worked out well. Any legwarmers have a tendency to fall down though. I think I threaded elastic thread through the top ribbbing in the end.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/road-tested-legwarmers
Legwarmers do indeed fall down, more so if worn over tights or bare skin, or (with longer leg warmers) if your thighs are quite a lot wider than your calves. My nan made a few pairs for me one very snowy winter, when the school still refused to allow girls to wear trousers, but allowed legwarmers if navy blue or burgundy. They reached to mid thigh and made all the difference in the world, but kept creeping kneewards. Knicker elastic (5mm or narrower) ended up being sewn around or threaded into the upper edge to counteract this, with slight success. :)

moon the more I look at it the more I like it- where did you get it from?!
It is gorgeous isn't it :)
First a bit of history.. Shwe Shwe fabric was originally made in Manchester using an acid discharge printing technique on medium weight cotton, it proved to be very popular in Africa and when the UK factory closed down production moved to Sth Africa where it was made with indigo dye under the name of three cats.
I get mine from 'The African Fabric Shop' online store, it comes in loads of colours now, and also a lighter weight cotton called 'Coral Brights'
It is also starched so you need to rinse it before use.
Let's see what you get! :)

12009623_10207637021067613_2247103081599574108_n.jpg

Sorry about the size :eek:
I made this chunky silver tension set sapphire ring last night. I won't be making any more for a while though, my next projects are all scrap related as I'm skint :(

Last edited:
Just finished a pair of stripey fingering weight socks, now starting on a pink double knit pair. Pictures possibly to follow.

Back
Top Bottom