Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

hey crafty crew. just wanted to share a <squee> over my new studio space. anyone want books binding i do special urban rates :D

21868418965_80b4c46a94_z.jpg

21856497922_7f39a3317e_z.jpg

I'm envious of your studio space (and so clean!).

have much appreciated people looking over my etsy shop. any thoughts on my packaging?

the logo at the top is a rubber stamp, i have gold ink coming for that :) then the window at the bottom of the strip is to show the endpapers which are japanese silk screens with gold overprinting. this way i can sell *unique* books but still be able to keep them in cellophane covers to keep them perfect in storage/display. i'll stick the strips to longer pieces that wrap around the front cover, so they can be un-bagged and looked at closely.

21491617053_9ef938d50e_z.jpg

tia :)

I need some advice, please, on dress forms.

I decided to get one for FoD's xmas pressie because she's been going on about wanting one for years but has recently been going on about needing one.

Anyway, it turns out there is an awful lot more choice than I thought there would be. Where would be a good place to get one from? Is there anything I should particularly look out for that will impress her?

Is this for sewing for herself or for other people? I hope she will forgive me for saying this but FOD, like myself, has a body which is impossible to replicate with an adjustable dress form. I think 'Diana' is the most popular one:

345553_SUPER__000_20150805_2.jpg

But she has a small chest and no arse whatsoever. I have one and have never used it. You can pad them out with an old bra and lots of wadding, but even then I think the shoulders are going to be too wide for FOD.

If you google 'make your own dressform' you will find there are some interesting techniques involving wrapping a person in duck tape or parcel tape. This could be a great birthday activity....

Is this for sewing for herself or for other people? I hope she will forgive me for saying this but FOD, like myself, has a body which is impossible to replicate with an adjustable dress form. I think 'Diana' is the most popular one:

But she has a small chest and no arse whatsoever. I have one and have never used it. You can pad them out with an old bra and lots of wadding, but even then I think the shoulders are going to be too wide for FOD.

If you google 'make your own dressform' you will find there are some interesting techniques involving wrapping a person in duck tape or parcel tape. This could be a great birthday activity....

She did have a go at making one with/for a friend of similar stature but I gather the results were disappointing. Also it took hours and there was quite a lot of moaning. It does need to look good because it will have to be in the living room.

I'm given to understand that a previous dress form was indeed adorned with an old bra, and that shoulders weren't
a problem.

Out of interest, why don't you use yours?

Out of interest, why don't you use yours?

Because it is so far from my actual body shape that it wouldn't work. Even if I padded up the bottom and stomach with wadding, I have sway back (curved backbone) and Diana is ramrod straight. There is more, but I won't bore you with all my body peculiarities!

Re ducktape and parceltape, I ran an experimental session with both methods and I think parceltape is better as it sets rigid. One of my students blogged about it here:

Tilly and the Buttons: Me and my clone

But if you want to get a dressform, Diana is fine. There is also one called Lady Valet, but it's more expensive. You can find them on Ebay, but they go for good prices as everyone knows what the new price is.

I decided to get one for FoD's xmas pressie because she's been going on about wanting one for years but has recently been going on about needing one.

Anyway, it turns out there is an awful lot more choice than I thought there would be. Where would be a good place to get one from? Is there anything I should particularly look out for that will impress her?
Aren't you sweet and thoughtful! but not very good at surprises, anyway we don't normally bother with xmas pressies.

I like the look of Diana and as we have a small flat I want something that isn't so horrific so it doesnt make me jump everytime I see it.

I'd like a dressform for designing clothes for myself on as its very difficult getting things to hang right when I'm fitting them on myself. When I was younger I had a size 14ish carboard dummy that I put my bra on to make it into a 41-26-35 and it was just right. Apart from being older, bigger and saggier I'm more or less a size 18 (well maybe 18/20ish in places) apart from my 51" bust. I've got lots of old bras and wadding though!

Re ducktape and parceltape, I ran an experimental session with both methods and I think parceltape is better as it sets rigid. One of my students blogged about it here:

Tilly and the Buttons: Me and my clone
I looked at making one a while back but I couldn't find any of the gummed paper tape at the time. I did it for a friend with the silver sticky duct tape - but it was just to floppy/stretchy and wouldn't keep its shape. I'm not sure that having someone make paper mache on me sounds much fun.

What size is your Diana? Want to sell?

I looked at making one a while back but I couldn't find any of the gummed paper tape at the time. I did it for a friend with the silver sticky duct tape - but it was just to floppy/stretchy and wouldn't keep its shape. I'm not sure that having someone make paper mache on me sounds much fun.

What size is your Diana? Want to sell?

I think I bought the gummed paper tape in the art shop in Camberwell (Cowling & Willcox or something like that). Yes duct tape is easier to do but it doesn't hold its shape very well - you have to cut an oval of cardboard for the bottom and brace it somehow in the middle. I also considered plaster, but I'm told it gets very hot! The stuff they used on my ankle when I broke it would be great - can't remember if it got hot or not.

My Diana is the right size, but I have to keep it as a stage prop, because it makes people think I know what I am doing. :oops:

Crafty people, you might have some ideas for me...

I'm sorting out my spare room to be a bit more office-like. I've bought a cheap table bar system table from ikea, which is very nice, but since I can't sit at a desk properly (derpy hands and arms) I'll be using a comfy chair in there with keyboard on my knee, the chair of course is is too low for the desk. It's workable for now, but I'm thinking of replacing the legs with shorter ones. I don't want to just saw the ones I have, because I like them, and I want to keep them if I go back to a normal sized desk or table in the future, plus they're tapered and they'd end up looking odd. I could get some £10 extendable ones from ikea, but they look very uninspiring.

I've been having a look around ebay and the googlesphere for old legs, vintage stuff, and I'll keep looking, but wondered if any of you knew of specific sites that are good for this sort of thing, or if you had any crafty ideas for something I could make with easy to get materials. I love the look of those ubiquitous hairpin legs but they come in standard sizes unless you get bespoke ones made, which costs. I'm not aware of any decent second-hand/antique/vintage shops round here, and I don't drive so can't go hunting farther afield, so the internet is my best friend.

The height of your desk mostly depends on how you,ll be using it. I have mine set to high-waist-level so I can work stood up. Uni give us high stools that match perfectly. But if you have a specific chair I guess I,d set up to match that..

Back
Top Bottom