Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I will once I've taken a decent picture of it, and only part of it is "mine". The rest belongs to the people who wrote the comments on the post-its.
So? Call it partly "conceptual art" which lets you off the hook as far as not having made all of it is concerned. ;)

Collage.
collage.jpg

This St. Valentine's Day we had an event at our community hall. The theme was what you loved about the area. People wrote their thoughts on the post-its, and I used them as the basis for the rest.

Iced biscuits, which go here, because they were judged purely on the icing, not on the biscuit under it. The theme for the competitions in the Flower zone, including the bits run by West Norwood Horticultural Society) was "love is in the air". I'm not entirely happy with any of them, but they're okay, considering. Next time:
1) The icing needs to be a stiffer mix for piping, and I need a more piping practice, when less tired. Cleaner finish and more definition needed.
2) The royal icing (the sky in the second one) could be smoother, trying to dry the icing in a cool oven made the royal icing crack a bit. There were supposed to be 23 hearts in it (one for each extra council flat this estate will be left with after 306 have been demolished and over 500 have been built), but it turned into 25 and you can't pick bits out of unset royal icing without damaging the surface.
3) The mottled colours of the moulded icing isn't bad, however, it could have been a few shades paler for the thunderclouds, and had a bit more blue. Also, that thing I meant to be a thunderbolt looks ridiculously like a leg.
4) The shape of the biscuits could be better - they distorted from perfect circles when transferred to a baking sheet. Next time, roll and cut the biscuits on the baking parchment which will go in the oven, and remove the excess to reduce distortion.
View attachment 74305 View attachment 74307 View attachment 74308
By the way well done winning second prize! that's a great honour at the lambeth country show.

Renovating/resanding/repainting furniture people have chucked out around my area. I find loads and loads of surprisingly good quality. Done a bookshelf, a bedside table, a weird wooden chair (which I cut in half and bolted to the top of my wall and it really works as bizarre clothes storage :D), currently on a massive solid wooden dressing table.
And I've painted my floor to look like the Malevich Red Wedge / White circle poster. Housemate says it looks like I am in readiness for a seance rather than political. :D

I've just forked out £440 for a third year of making silver jewellery and that's before I even think about buying silver and more tools. :(
I'd better pull my finger out and get the most out of this year. No knocking off early because I want to catch something on telly :oops::facepalm:

if you don't mind me asking shirl - do you really enjoy the class? it sounds as though you find it hard work?

Oh no I really do enjoy the class :D I find it boring sometimes because I've only gone to use the polishing machine and Broadchurch was coming on 9pm :D

It is really only a one year course. You get a qualification (not one that I've ever heard of) after the first year.The main reason I'm going again for a third year is because I enjoy going so much and I like the other people on the course and also my tutor. Also, one of my best friends is joining me this year. There are plenty more techniques that I can learn but to be honest, things like enamelling, makume gane and claw settings, I've done once and am never likely to want to do again because they have no appeal for me.
I just wish I didn't have to pay £440 for something I enjoy. It makes me feel guilty :)
This year I want make a lot more pieces to sell. I've sold some over the summer but if and when I get a studio I want to have a lot of stock ready to sell.
For the last year I've just been playing and experimenting mostly. Somethings worked well some not so well. In the coming year I'm going to concentrate on what worked well. Like the tension ring and bangles.

Last edited:
There are plenty more techniques that I can learn but to be honest, things like enamelling, makume gane and claw settings, I've done once and am never likely to want to do again
oh god i so desperately want to do more enamelling - i have a feeling i may end up kidnapping the maker kiln that never gets used :D

but yeah i get you on paying to practice, my entire aim is still just to fund my work with sales :)

oh god i so desperately want to do more enamelling - i have a feeling i may end up kidnapping the maker kiln that never gets used :D

but yeah i get you on paying to practice, my entire aim is still just to fund my work with sales :)
I never liked enamel. I'm not keen on gems either, I just like metals :D

Back
Top Bottom