Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Had my first ever foray into decoupage today......................must say i am totally chuffed with the result........good-bye boring old chest of drawers......hello,

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

That's beautiful ms chik.

I have finished the t shirt, didn't sew or put ribbon on the neck, good quality fabric so just cut a scoop neck and left the edges raw. Now on to decouoage box.

Bout 5 hours.......mind you that's counting fag breaks and occasional air guitar breaks (listen to Planet Rock on the radio).....................also put up my Klimt mural.......quite proud of the fact that i did it by eye, with no measuring or plumb line !

007.jpg

I know a lot of folks will hate this but i was never one for half measures !

I bought some fabric

ss10libe1040015a.jpg

And have got to decide what to make with it. Have two possible vintage patterns. Both of them are a bit wrong in a way as the fabric has a slightly 60s feel to it and one pattern is more 40s and the other more 50s, but anyway.

il_570xN.617562757_ld9f.jpg
il_570xN.616280906_diw1.jpg

NB I doubt I'd have enough for the little cape (or wear it), also I'm mystified by what's different between view A and view B, and the pattern doesn't elucidate. View B takes more fabric though :confused:

I bought some fabric

ss10libe1040015a.jpg

And have got to decide what to make with it. Have two possible vintage patterns. Both of them are a bit wrong in a way as the fabric has a slightly 60s feel to it and one pattern is more 40s and the other more 50s, but anyway.

View attachment 58419
View attachment 58420

NB I doubt I'd have enough for the little cape (or wear it), also I'm mystified by what's different between view A and view B, and the pattern doesn't elucidate. View B takes more fabric though :confused:
I interpret it as, the "cardigan" on B is sewn on? Or is A a shorter skirt?

I like the first pattern with short sleeves best.

It's a cape and it buttons onto the shoulders in both versions. I think the skirt length is identical but it's hard to tell.
It might actually go better with the patterns.

I am never that keen on the style of dresses you make! I like 70s to modern design myself, I think it's just preference :)

Just started rag rugging to fill in the gaps while the decoupage dries.
IMG_20140728_212247_zpsbfoikwlw.jpg

Cutting out the strips is a ballache!

Does anyone else do rag rugging? I don't really want to do it that way, I want to do it in the older way, where it looks more like weaving? Google calls.

Last edited:
That decoupage is wonderful mentalchik same as with your mural! :cool:

I have some shelves I want to decoupage with some maps I have collected...I will eventually do it :facepalm: It's on the crafting list, which is endless already :D

<snip> I'm mystified by what's different between view A and view B, and the pattern doesn't elucidate. View B takes more fabric though :confused:
*enlightenment belatedly dawns* B is for matching obvious stripes, checks and plaids, so that most of the lines run in the same direction. Otherwise, the pieces could be laid out more closely together before cutting.

B would also be used for any fabric "with nap" or things which'd look weird if upside down or sideways.

*enlightenment belatedly dawns* B is for matching obvious stripes, checks and plaids, so that most of the lines run in the same direction. Otherwise, the pieces could be laid out more closely together before cutting.

B would also be used for any fabric "with nap" or things which'd look weird if upside down or sideways.
I thought that, but the cutting layout is identical for both, ie the pieces lie in the same direction on the fabric.

Last edited:
the past 2 days i have mostly been making paper mechanisms.

14887783153_cec7fc63c3_z.jpg

the dude on the left is a logic goat :cool::D this one is an "or" goat, so it nods its head when you press either button or both together : thumbs: the butterfly has a pendulum inside that makes it move like magic :)

Okay, the somewhat ambitious Farpoint crochet top is postponed until next month when I'll have fewer distractions.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a crocheted baby hoodie.
images

Work on that is being alternated with a bit of collar-downwards freeform crochet which might turn into a jumper to fit me this winter, if I get it more or less the right shape. Varying the style of work keeps my hands relaxed - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :D

Nearing the end of frankensleeve 1, with a fairly clear idea of how the rest of the jumper is going to work.

You've heard of Frankenstein's monster? This is going to be the same colour yarn for the entire item, but the sleeves will be removable and in different patterns to the body and the neck piece. I decided to do it like this because of the times when I need an extra layer, but sleeves get in the way. The yarn was available in chunky and double knitting, in the same colour, so the neck piece is in DK, both of the sleeves will be in chunky, and the body remains to be decided, probably DK to avoid the Michelin Man effect. BTW the yarn is King Cole Riot, Ace.

frnknjmpr3.jpg frnknjmpr2.jpg

Think I might unravel a couple of rows from the lower edge of the neck piece and rework with less fullness, it's a bit too frothy to work with that sleeve. It could do with adding in some black too. Or russet. :hmm:

Last edited:
intriguing project greebs :) i have a copy of this you might like, i'd be happy to lend if you fancy a squiz - it's very good for making things up as you go along :thumbs :

i'm cyanotyping again the next couple of days. i'm wondering if i may be going a step too far evicting both my kids from their beds (one entirely from the house) in order to do so :hmm::D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom