Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

first go at a decorative japanese stab binding.
13671001774_30a758c4b4.jpg

holes are too big relative to thread size and there's a spare one in the middle i didn't need to make. need to be more careful with the alignment of the main row of holes and pull the thread as snug as it'll go but it works a treat : thumbs :

chuffed i managed to work out the stitch pattern from a picture - it's the same front and back and no threads are doubled. it's a sample for a book i'm doing for a friend's degree show (no pressure there then :D) finished piece will have hard covers, grey book cloth, red thread :cool:

I made a bag! I've actually made two, for two friend's birthdays.

Unfortunately for madamv, I decided to make hers first and it was a disaster!

Shit cutting, rubbish fabric that frayed constantly and was very unforgiving if you had to unpick anything (which I did).

Halfway through I switched from my little pink sewing machine to my mother in law's full sized machine which helped hugely. I've not really played with it much, but it seems to be a pretty good one.

Anyway, this is the second attempt.

ybyranuq.jpg

u8y3yjy6.jpg

Rubbish second picture but it's reversible.

It was good for practising stuff. Reading a sodding pattern properly, making my own binding (without a tape maker), using interfacing, needing stitching to be perfect both sides etc

I'm pretty happy with it and my friend liked it. :) madamv will get a bag eventually!

Next project is a gift for a naming day where I am the odd-parent.

They have very limited space and have asked for donations to SCBU* instead of gifts. I'll make something small like bunting with his name on as well as a donation.

*He was born at 30 weeks and nearly didn't make it so this is extra special. :)

I've never crafted in my life but this looks easy and :cool: so Ive decided to give it a go.
http://digital-photography-school.c...s-to-wood-an-awesome-photography-diy-project/

how-to-transfer-prints-to-wood-an-awesome-photography-diy-project

Anyone done anything similar? Any tips?
I am wondering if it will look as good with a non-vintage print. I have just chosen my image and it kinda is worn/ vintage pattern but it definitely needs to be done in colour.
Does the wood stain make it look like an old piece of wood and help with the vintage look? I don't get why they did that.

Also, how long would this last?

I've never crafted in my life but this looks easy and :cool: so Ive decided to give it a go.
http://digital-photography-school.c...s-to-wood-an-awesome-photography-diy-project/

how-to-transfer-prints-to-wood-an-awesome-photography-diy-project

Anyone done anything similar? Any tips?
I am wondering if it will look as good with a non-vintage print. I have just chosen my image and it kinda is worn/ vintage pattern but it definitely needs to be done in colour.

If you're doing it in colour, you'll need to plan accordingly (pale wood base - something like maple, birch or sycamore. I'd suggest birch-faced plywood, as it's readily available and not expensive) and be aware that the colours from your transfer won't be as strong or as accurate on the wood as on the original print.

Does the wood stain make it look like an old piece of wood and help with the vintage look? I don't get why they did that.

yeah, the stain is pretty much to "age" the finished product and make it look antiquey. You could probably leave the stain out if you want it to be a bit more contemporary-looking.

Also, how long would this last?

If you use a decent sealant, it'll last a long time. They use a wax, whereas I'd be inclined to over-spray it with an acrylic lacquer (2 or 3 coats) and then wax it.

Thanks, that's really helpful ViolentPanda

One more question, why would you spray an acrylic wax lacquer before waxing?

A basic acrylic spray lacquer (something like Plasti-Kote clear acrylic) is best, as that will build and provide a slight sheen (unless you use a gloss lacquer, where the sheen will be higher) and a decent thickness of physical protection, then a basic wax paste on top of that, which will buff up nicely.

Hello crafty people! South London Makerspace is ready to open! We'll be holding weekly open evenings, the first of which is this Wednesday (16th April) at 19:30, at 27 Norwwod Road, Herne Hill, SE24 9AA.

We've got a 100m² space, divided into "clean" and "dirty" workshops, all sorts of tools and furniture, and a growing community (40 paying members and counting). It would be great to see some of you lot down there, so you can see what we've got to offer, and you can tell us what we need to do to attact you to becoming a member yourself :)

Miss-Shelf Could do an urban75 patchwork. Decide a number of squares and what the themes could be - so images and words from the forums (like maybe classics lines from threads - like the nazi lobster and the toning mist (what ever that was) and maybe a patchwork of Valve off the naked thread! ) Get a bunch of volunteers to create a few.

Miss-Shelf Could do an urban75 patchwork. Decide a number of squares and what the themes could be - so images and words from the forums (like maybe classics lines from threads - like the nazi lobster and the toning mist (what ever that was) and maybe a patchwork of Valve off the naked thread! ) Get a bunch of volunteers to create a few.
anyone want to make a patchwork square for urban75 contribution to Lewisham Peoples day patchwork?
boohoo Boudicca colacubes poptyping Mation quimcunx @anyone else you can think of to tag - I am v tired today and brain not fully functioning......

I'm in!

More info about it here

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/events/whats-on/peoples-day/Pages/Peoples-Patchwork.aspx

Patches should be 15cm square with a 1.5cm border
shall we make a date to meet and do this? I have a sew machine (although it could be hand sewn)
I don't have a lot of space at present but could book my landladies front room for an urban sew up :)

red rose do you know anyone else interested? I just tagged some posters who'd been interested in the sewing session last week at Boudicca's place

IMG_20140520_212959_zpskwq39xj7.jpg

Completed scarf, it's a bit short but it will stretch. I think it's the first pattern I have ever done apart from a washcloth :)

Not sure what my next project is going to be :) Possibly some rag rugging although I fancy getting down and dirty with glue in some capacity.

i'm getting down and dirty with glue tomorrow :D have to make a trip to the model shop to buy acrylic cement and a syringe to weld my laser-cut bits together. this will be a trial run cos i fucked up the laser cutting today :facepalm: in other stuff atm i've got a working layout for a laser-etched text block for the little enamel book the urb massive helped me with at the start of the year (with hopefully a limited edition run to follow - watch this space : thumbs : ), soldering electronics to go in the laser-cutting project, and a whole world of 3d-modelling/printing pain if my software ever comes through.

fucking loving it tbf :D

i'm getting down and dirty with glue tomorrow :D have to make a trip to the model shop to buy acrylic cement and a syringe to weld my laser-cut bits together. this will be a trial run cos i fucked up the laser cutting today :facepalm: in other stuff atm i've got a working layout for a laser-etched text block for the little enamel book the urb massive helped me with at the start of the year (with hopefully a limited edition run to follow - watch this space : thumbs : ), soldering electronics to go in the laser-cutting project, and a whole world of 3d-modelling/printing pain if my software ever comes through.

fucking loving it tbf :D

Can you just stop now? Making me want to be you that is! :D

Okay...it is all green now, many layers of the most perfect, metallic, generous green :hmm:...I got distracted with one/some of the other million projects (and work) I have in process at the moment :facepalm:

I still have plans of course, the saw and some amazing worn glass (blue & green and found so FREE) is sitting there looking at me :hmm: it's coming BOB, I hope you won't be disappointed! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom