Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I've made a new cushion which matches my favourite duvet cover :)

fH2AEgf.jpg

4hyzAYm.jpg

If it helps at all this is the pattern that I used. 6 of these sewn together makes the top and sides and then I sewed a hexagon shaped piece of fabric to the bottom.

cushion.png

If you're an absolute sewing novice, is making your own bias binding a silly idea? I can't even find a tape maker in the size I need unless I order online. I've been to/called every shop in the area.

I've googled instructions but they do assume a level of knowledge I don't think I have. :D

A 50mm which I can get on amazon but I wanted to start this weekend. I can wait a few days if I need to, I'm just impatient.

It's for a bag.

is it to make decorative/patterned binding? plain is easy to buy, not sure what there is in the way of patterned readymade.

If you're an absolute sewing novice, is making your own bias binding a silly idea? I can't even find a tape maker in the size I need unless I order online. I've been to/called every shop in the area.

I've googled instructions but they do assume a level of knowledge I don't think I have. :D
Hmm, you need to get it cut right on the cross, there's one hell of a lot of accurate cutting of long straight lines involved (less of a problem with a rotary cutter and mat), and it's boring.
is it to make decorative/patterned binding? plain is easy to buy, not sure what there is in the way of patterned readymade.
MacCulloch and Wallis sell decorative/patterned as well as plain... Some of their plain, striped, and tartan bias binding is 50mm when flattened out and 25 folded. They also have a 25mm (folded width) tape maker. BTW just checked, they's also got dogtooth, corduroy, and camo.

Last edited:
i have a 25mm but 50 seems quite big - is that the finished/folded size or the width of the fabric strip?

I think it's the folded size. I'm going to have a go with a bit of scrap and then decide whether it's good enough or to wait and order a maker.

Thanks all. :)

We've discussed bias binding before haven't we? I think it was RubyToogood 's keyhole neckline? (Which I later saw in real life and was beautifully done!)

There's a way of making it using a pin/needle on an ironing board:

http://www.draperyu.com/sewing-tips-how-to-make-bias-binding-tape-needle-pin/

That's sort of what I did until I got really frustrated and chucked the needles away. :D

It's done, it's probably not great but will be fine when stitched on I hope...

We've discussed bias binding before haven't we? I think it was RubyToogood 's keyhole neckline? (Which I later saw in real life and was beautifully done!)

There's a way of making it using a pin/needle on an ironing board:

http://www.draperyu.com/sewing-tips-how-to-make-bias-binding-tape-needle-pin/
Yes it was. I made it out of gingham, which makes it dead easy to find the true bias, and just dispensed with ironing creases into it as when you're sewing it onto something at a fixed distance from the edge I can't see that the crease is at all helpful. And then you just turn it over to cover the edge. It was fine.

don't suppose anyone can recommend me some pinking shears? i bought some from john lewis and they're great for paper but shit for fabric, even from new :(

don't suppose anyone can recommend me some pinking shears? i bought some from john lewis and they're great for paper but shit for fabric, even from new :(
I've got a pair of Fiskars ones I have had for years which still cut well. And some even older ones which got demoted to paper. But there are some fabrics which don't pink.

Back
Top Bottom