Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I dunno if it's appropriate for what you want to do Manter but I made a Christmas wreath base out of coat hangers. I had to get Mr Yu straighten them out and then to bend them into a circle though, as I was too weak. :oops:

I now really want a knitted pouffe...

I had a bag full of very small fabric scraps which I gave to a friend for pouffe stuffing :D but it took me a long while to save them up. In the olden days, I remember using chopped up tights.
I suppose an alternative might be to make it a beanbag. With a sewn lining obviously.

Manter here is my paper xmas wreath, I made the base from stacked and glued card circles, not sure if this might be too flat for your pompom one though
12342098934_315aed43fa_z.jpg

I suppose an alternative might be to make it a beanbag. With a sewn lining obviously.
I have a (not very nice) leather pouffe which my parents bought for me in Tunisia. I stuffed it with polystyrene beans, but it's too light and soft and not very pouffe-like.

As it's going to Guernsey, maybe you make an inner and outer and leave her to stuff it with whatever she can find. Straw & hay might work too.

I just googled knitted pouffe patterns and it's easier than I thought.:) The pattern I found suggested using an old feather duvet.

I have a (not very nice) leather pouffe which my parents bought for me in Tunisia. I stuffed it with polystyrene beans, but it's too light and soft and not very pouffe-like.

As it's going to Guernsey, maybe you make an inner and outer and leave her to stuff it with whatever she can find. Straw & hay might work too.

I just googled knitted pouffe patterns and it's easier than I thought.:) The pattern I found suggested using an old feather duvet.
Interesting. Most of the knitted pouffes in the shops seem to be basically garter stitch. I've just found a pattern for a cabled one on Ravelry. Now if I made that in navy blue, it might tick the understated nautical theme too...

Manter I have an old christmas wreath on my balcony (from two years ago :oops:). I need the motivation to actually get rid of it, so would you like the wire frame thing?

i've been knitting squares for a bedspread. I've got a cupboard full of random balls of wool so thought I'd make use of them, and the wasted time i spend watching rubbish telly. I've done about 25 squares so far and at the moment they're colour co-ordinated in various shades of pink, purple and cream.

What is everyone working on at the weekend?
I've decided to make a start on this vintage memory box/writing slope, am gonna use it to recreate a paper copy of one of my blogs.. :)

chasing down a deadline atm, just getting my documentation done. there's more to photograph and i'm hoping to be able to make a couple more large pieces at the very last minute :hmm:

12443389433_bbb007c383_z.jpg

12443389913_3d3dd4af05_z.jpg

12443390883_a31c122ae1_z.jpg

12443270015_71f1be28c2.jpg

12412275423_fac29a7ef5.jpg
Fabulous paper sculptures :cool:

Edit: Hang on. Are those fabric or paper? Either way, they are great :)

Last edited:
This weekend I taught myself to crochet. I decided I would make a blanket instead of practising stitiches then undoing them so that I have something to show at the end of it and that it doesn't matter if I make mistakes because I am a novice. :)

Anyway..I can now do:

Single crochet
Double crochet
Squares
Popcorn stitch
Checkerboard effect

Here is the proof... :D

260g55g.jpg

xduka1.jpg

wayward bob , those are stunning.

Do you mind me asking what type of college course you are on? Asking out of curiosity, I've seen you mention it before...

awesome Rutita1. my first attempts at crochet were abysmal - dreadful tension and loads of skipped stitches at the ends of rounds - looks like you're a natural : thumbs :

Aw thanks :)

It's funny ya know because my mum was a prolific knitter and crocheter and could make just about anything...I am now convinced that somehow watching her as I was growing up made a difference...it feels really easy somehow if you know what I mean? :confused:

wayward bob , those are stunning.

Do you mind me asking what type of college course you are on? Asking out of curiosity, I've seen you mention it before...

thanks :) it has the world's clunkiest course title "artist designer: maker". basically we have the run of the college and access to every workshop. it's a new course and because i took last year out i've only been doing it since september. in that time i've done projects involving laser cutting, enamelling, glass and resin casting, 3d modelling and printing, silk reeling/spinning and weaving and probably more i forget. basically i'm having a ball :D

Back
Top Bottom