Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Mod Podge is the business, but not very easy to get here in shops, but they have it on Amazon. It comes in loads for formats, including one specifically for fabric. However I've used the original Gloss one for fabric and it's been fine.

http://modpodgerocksblog.com/2009/07/mod-podge-formula-guide-youve-been.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mod podge&sprefix=mod po,aps&rh=i:aps,k:mod podge
Thanks, I will report back to the thread in due course!

After chipping away at the whitewash of the living room I am finally in a position to bring stuff in from the shed, go through it and decide what's worth keeping or not. Wall ornaments have faced another cull, loads went out on the front wall in boxes marked 'Free, Take me!' which people did :)

I rescued two fairly large, but very tired/dated looking picture frames from the bin cupboard on my old estate months back and needed to decide on keeping them or not....a little experiment with some gold acrylic paint and they have had a little facelift...they can now stay a while longer. One is up already but the other needs the print replacing. I love free stuff! :D

Attachments

• 150120141527.jpg
    150120141527.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 150120141528.jpg
    150120141528.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 34
In other news the sewing machine I borrowed needs to be returned by Monday :( so tonight I will finish the hemming of an occasional kitchen tablecloth using the same fabric I have used to make simple dress curtains and tiebacks for the kitchen and toilet windows and recovered the kitchen chairs in. Given that the fabric was only 8 metres for 3 Euros :O when I was last in a fabric market in Amsterdam :cool: I believe that it was money and time well spent. :)

Attachments

• 231220131469.jpg
    231220131469.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 231220131470.jpg
    231220131470.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 291120131411.jpg
    291120131411.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 31
The cat has been a little spooked recently so I decided to put the foam wadding off-cuts my mom gave me to good use and make him a bed/hiding place.

It's not finished yet - I want to get something like thin bendy foam to put inside so that the arch stays up properly, but it's already proven quite popular. I had trouble finishing it because once it took shape he wouldn't get out of it :facepalm: :D

20140119_181540_resized.jpg 20140119_181534_resized.jpg

Bit premature because it isn't quite finished (it needs distressing with black pastel rubbed into the white to replicate the aerosol effect), but here's the last 'make' for my 'Desperately Seeking Susan' costume.

1017128_10152572501908975_1582792987_n.jpg

And for reference:

1538934_10152572516193975_525715561_n.jpg

I need your help, crafty people.

I want to make a pom pom wreath like this for next year as the ones to buy we're too small and very expensive. http://www.pickles.no/wonderful-wreath/

I don't want to use a willow or wooden wreath as they cost a fortune, and aren't in the size I want- I was going to make a frame out of wire and then wrap it in rags or bias binding, then I thought I'd glue the felt balls. But would sewing them be better? Advice please!

Hi, I made my own willow wreath base a couple of years ago, if you can find a willow tree, harvest some of the stems and weave them into a circle.. I didnt follow any tutorial and it looked ok. :)

Hi, I made my own willow wreath base a couple of years ago, if you can find a willow tree, harvest some of the stems and weave them into a circle.. I didnt follow any tutorial and it looked ok. :)
I have some willow from my fil's garden.... But I was going to make a little teepee thing for plants to grow up from it!

It may be too dry now, I weaved fresh bendy stems then left it to dry... not sure how 'correct' this was but it worked out ok..

Check the size, it might be too large in terms of pixels or memory size.

Thanks. I will. It's a beautiful thing we made and I want to show it here. Don't think it's too large, just an image picture thing I've got saved everywhere and as my desktop but whenever I try to upload it I get some jpeg fuck off error nonsense. I know this is real easy just don't know how to do it :facepalm:

Thanks. I will. It's a beautiful thing we made and I want to show it here. Don't think it's too large, just an image picture thing I've got saved everywhere and as my desktop but whenever I try to upload it I get some jpeg fuck off error nonsense. I know this is real easy just don't know how to do it :facepalm:
Do you have Facebook? Absolute easiest is load it up there then Drag and drop onto here

My sister has a birthday with a zero in it coming up at the end of March so I asked her if she wanted me to make her something. She said "house stuff" as they've just moved into a new, bigger house and she is going for an understated maritime theme. :hmm:

I want to make a pom pom wreath like this for next year as the ones to buy we're too small and very expensive. http://www.pickles.no/wonderful-wreath/

I don't want to use a willow or wooden wreath as they cost a fortune, and aren't in the size I want- I was going to make a frame out of wire and then wrap it in rags or bias binding, then I thought I'd glue the felt balls. But would sewing them be better? Advice please!
I'm wondering whether pipe insulation might work, but not sure how bendy it is.

Water-Regulation-Pipe-Insulation_medium.jpg

I'd use wire and rags to bind, and then glue in place with a glue gun, otherwise you might find yourself going mad trying to force a needle through the foundation.

Otherwise get a florists metal wreath frame and cover with rags. They come in a variety of sizes and you can get them from the sundries places at New Covent Garden Flower Market in Vauxhall. In fact that is a really good place to pick up interesting crafty stuff in large quantities and relatively cheaply, and is a truly lovely place to wander round (early in the morning). You can get them online but in both cases will need to buy more than one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/wreath-frame

Alternatively, in the run up to Christmas, buy one of those crappy holly wreaths from a street market (the ones with cheap red ribbon) for a £5 and dismantle it to use the metal wreath underneath.

Manter - you can get these sort of polystyrene wreaths, or oasis ones with a plastic base, that are really for making fresh flower wreaths for funerals and the like. However by the time you'd covered it in pompoms it might be a bit fat, so you might be better off making your own substructure.

NB those aren't actually pompoms on that wreath but felted balls. No reason why you couldn't do it with pompoms though, although they might squish together a bit more and be slightly less distinct as balls.

Oh and my sister also said she really wanted a knitted pouffe. We discussed the practicalities of getting this to Jersey and she said she could stuff it herself if I knitted the cover, but I think there is more to the internals of a pouffe than just stuffing. I went and prodded one of these and there was definitely something firm going on in there:

Oh and my sister also said she really wanted a knitted pouffe. We discussed the practicalities of getting this to Jersey and she said she could stuff it herself if I knitted the cover, but I think there is more to the internals of a pouffe than just stuffing. I went and prodded one of these and there was definitely something firm going on in there:

I now really want a knitted pouffe...

I had a bag full of very small fabric scraps which I gave to a friend for pouffe stuffing :D but it took me a long while to save them up. In the olden days, I remember using chopped up tights.

They sell foam wreaths. Cheap as you like. Search "half round foam wreath" on amazon or similar.

Back
Top Bottom