Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

i've got my head up a rhino's ass atm :hmm::D it's our 3d modelling software and it's solid, i've been flailing around in it for a while, but if i can crack it i get to play with the 3d printers :cool: that and lots of worm boiling. i'm on my third batch, hopefully get this one past the getting-it-off-the-skeiner stage and on to the actual spinning and weaving stage :thumbs:

did my first 3d print today, it worked \o/ and we had lecture from someone who worked on the olympic torch and new london bus and his top tip was to learn rhino (our 3d software) :thumbs: so it might turn out to have been worthwhile mangling my head in the manual for so long :)

I painted my antelope head in watercolour, am also trying it in Gouache and Inktense blocks
1469828_10152864899782316_72311000_n.jpg
This is absolutely amazing!

20131202_234115.jpg I have made a quilt for my daughters 21st birthday
here are some views of it
20131128_231711.jpg

the pink/lilac fabric with small flower print that you can see in the border was made with an old hospital gown I found in the charity shop
it was amusing to see my old neighbour sporting the same print gown last night when I visited her in hospital:D
20131128_231729.jpg

the pink/lilac fabric with small flower print that you can see in the border was made with an old hospital gown I found in the charity shop
it was amusing to see my old neighbour sporting the same print gown last night when I visited her in hospital:D
View attachment 44610
That's lovely Miss-S. Didn't know you were into quilting - you need to come round to mine and take some scraps off my hands!

Hello craft thread.

As you may know, I'm helping get South London Makerspace off the ground. The idea is to create a member owned and run workshop in South London, where people can come and make the mess, use the equipment, make the noise, and meet the like-minded people that they can't at home. We want to cater to all sorts of creative activities, from woodwork to knitting, from sculpture to electronics. Members will pay whatever they think it's worth per month (there will be a minimum, but we haven't decided yet. It will be low). In return, you get 24/7 access to the space, and a genuine say in how its run and how it spends its money. We hope to open in Loughborough Junction early next year.

So you crafty types, does this sound like something you'd like to be a part of? Are there any machines or tools you can't afford on your own, but that you'd be happy to club together for? All feedback welcome :)

Hello craft thread.

As you may know, I'm helping get South London Makerspace off the ground. The idea is to create a member owned and run workshop in South London, where people can come and make the mess, use the equipment, make the noise, and meet the like-minded people that they can't at home. We want to cater to all sorts of creative activities, from woodwork to knitting, from sculpture to electronics. Members will pay whatever they think it's worth per month (there will be a minimum, but we haven't decided yet. It will be low). In return, you get 24/7 access to the space, and a genuine say in how its run and how it spends its money. We hope to open in Loughborough Junction early next year.

So you crafty types, does this sound like something you'd like to be a part of? Are there any machines or tools you can't afford on your own, but that you'd be happy to club together for? All feedback welcome :)

Was a member of LHS for a while crispy so definately appreciate what you guys are putting together. No suggestions just now but, YEAH...make it happen!

Hello craft thread.

The obvious one for sewing people is an overlocker. If I'm honest, I probably wouldn't use it myself because I'd just opt for projects that didn't need one, but yeah. It's basically for sewing stretchy fabrics, which you can't do as well on a normal home sewing machine.

Oh, have you spoken to/are you aware of Sunshine Arts?

Hello craft thread.

An embroidery machine might be quite fun. With software, you can scan in a design, convert it to embroidery and then stitch it out. The semi-industrials with 6+ threads cost upwards of about £3,500 new but can be found on Ebay. I once helped a friend to buy one, he shipped it to Gambia and then left me there to work out how to use it. So I have some knowledge, although slightly tinged with memories of extreme frustration! There are also cheaper domestic ones, where you can only sew one colour at a time and the quality isn't as good, but still could be something to draw people to SLM.

Good responses both - I'd just stuck "Sewing Machine £300" in our list, without anything to really base that on, so it's good to know what's actually wanted out there :)

EDIT: While you're here, Boudicca, are those tables still available?

Good responses both - I'd just stuck "Sewing Machine £300" in our list, without anything to really base that on, so it's good to know what's actually wanted out there :)

EDIT: While you're here, Boudicca, are those tables still available?
Yes, tables and chairs still in my garage!

£150 will get you a decent enough new sewing machine, £200 a bottom of the range overlocker.

Oh yes! I am saving up for an A0 printer for patterns, which seems to be about £500 for a secondhand B&W. Printing on fabric sounds exciting.
I may well be sourcing one from work. An old HP designjet. Will let you know...

Also, those of you who've expressed an interest, I'd like you to please fill out our potential members form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lo2TIK8MDF0jX1fzZ6g6_XaLuLY_Qp4V14nVgZ_S81c/viewform

It helps us know who's interested in the space, and what they think it's worth to them.

Also, if someone pledges a tenner for the startup fund, it'll take us over £2,000 which will make a nice Christmas story :)

I've just put the finishing touches to a Christmas present that I've been working on for a friend. He's a South Park fan and his favourite episode is the Fish Sticks episode. I ordered metallic green spandex on ebay but the seller has been messing me around for weeks so I've had to make do with what I could find for the trousers but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Kanye West and his gay fish

20131219_234413_resized_zps4af968d2.jpg

But wait! There's more!

:D

I think I'm going back to sewing class this year. In the meantime, I've almost finished a silver random link necklace that I've made over the christmas hols.
I need to start my jewellery project on Monday, I had an idea that I've now changed my mind about so I've got no idea yet what I'm going to make. That'll impress my tutor :facepalm:

Taking in and reinforcing (over a couple of damaged bits on the inside) that gold brocade corset. It was that or unpick and cannibalise it.

Tonight I made this "priceless nefertiti earring' for part of a Desperately Seeking Susan fancy dress costume:
1545872_10152540330438975_1711435119_n.jpg

and the best shot I can find of the original, for comparison:
1505156_10152540334653975_880086201_n.jpg

Apart from that I would like to have gold-leafed it, rather than rubbing eyeshadow on it :)o), I much prefer mine.

Back
Top Bottom