Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

the city is made from a load of dismantled radios. i'm spraying all the pieces white, so hopefully when it's done it'll look like an architectural model. it's going in a radio shape/size case cut from clear acrylic (eventually, if tech decides to take pity on me). so it'll be a little world inside a radio. i have teeny tiny people and trees for finishing touches too :D

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

There's something about the mini-worldness of it that I love...

Last edited:
:thumbs: totally on topic :D i'm hoping to do some welding some time soon too :)

It's cos I went to a party at the Arcadia yard in Bristol...and met loads of women who did things like this. Road to Damascus moment. Spent a good few days on a miserable comedown crying on my mate's shoulder ("WHY don't i know how to weld?") - til I decided I may as well try to learn. I miss doing stuff with my hands.

Last edited:
A steampunk folio album
dsc_4563.jpg

dsc_4564.jpg

Lovely!

How did you get that effect? Are they your photos printed onto card (?wood?) or found ones?

Hi, most of it is in fact an illusion. the effect is mainly due to the fact it was made from a paper stack called Tattered Time by Die Cuts With a View (DCWV)
The cover is also embellished with bits of card that have been cut into gear shapes, a compass, an ornate label, a hinge etc then painted with gold gouache and inked with tim holtz black soot ink pad, there are also antiqued metal embellishments such as the book corners, and clock face trinkets used as a closure.

The inside flaps (you can only see 6 here but there are around 20 pockets and flaps in total) are made using the DCWV paper with cut out shapes glued on top, my photos are actually hidden inside the pockets.

All made following a Kathy Orta (PaperPhenomenom) tutorial.

My latest crafty ting was the renovation of an 80+ year-old Newman & Guardia case for a folding camera. The case was blackened with grime, and as dry as Maggie Thatcher's chuff when I got it, and it took much saddle soap, elbow grease and hide conditioner to get it back to looking halfway decent (fortunately the blue velvet lining was totally intact). I then went about sourcing some leather to make a sympathetic strap from. I wanted something a bit wider than the half inch-wide straps that were normal for the period, then cobbled together the strap in the photo with a sharp knife, a hole punch, some brass rivets and some rivet-setting tools.

strap.jpg

The case now contains an 80 year-old Kodak Duo Six20 series 2 camera, and Kodak rangefinder, and the strap is comfy. I may add length-adjustment buckles to the thinner part of the strap at a later date.

Last edited:
I just brought a linoprinting kit. 5 types of cutters, bayer, lino sheets, ink, ink tray

aww :( if it's any consolation i've had my nastiest crafting cuts with lino cutters. some blades are definitely sharper than others and it's the blunt ones you have to look out for (because you have to use so much pressure on them). is it easy cut lino? tbh i'm only really safe on rubbers :oops::D

aww :( if it's any consolation i've had my nastiest crafting cuts with lino cutters. some blades are definitely sharper than others and it's the blunt ones you have to look out for (because you have to use so much pressure on them). is it easy cut lino? tbh i'm only really safe on rubbers :oops::D

There was a softer, rubbery sheet and a harder/thicker lino type (not sure of the terminology?) - I was just trying to do a test design in the centre of the harder sheet with the bluntest, as you said (thinking it would be safer) and I put such force into it that it jumped and got embedded in the pad of my finger.

Ah well. Probably for the best that this happened first time tbh - I went in very lackadaisical and without respect, will actually be paying proper attention to safety in future.

I wanted to linoprint a Burning Man logo for a mate of mine that's just got it tattoo'd ( :D), realising this might take a little longer than expected :D:D

There was a softer, rubbery sheet and a harder/thicker lino type (not sure of the terminology?) - I was just trying to do a test design in the centre of the harder sheet with the bluntest, as you said (thinking it would be safer) and I put such force into it that it jumped and got embedded in the pad of my finger.

Ah well. Probably for the best that this happened first time tbh - I went in very lackadaisical and without respect, will actually be paying proper attention to safety in future.

I wanted to linoprint a Burning Man logo for a mate of mine that's just got it tattoo'd ( :D), realising this might take a little longer than expected :D:D
ime, everyone cuts themselves in their early days of linocutting, but it's my absolutely favourite printmaking technique. black and white prints are great, but there's something about the methodical process involved in reduction printing for multiple colours that i loved. my final piece (i did a printmaking module as part of my degree) was seven or eight colours.

i liked dry-plate etching too. Warm printers' ink is a gorgeous smell.

my final piece (i did a printmaking module as part of my degree) was seven or eight colours.

got any pics spangles? i've only dabbled in lino printing but i'd love some inspiration to do more.

That is like some ancient, beautiful treasure...I could look at it for hours, even before I open it. Amazing.

:oops: thanks. i'm so chuffed you think that :) my initial inspirations were dark age and medieval enamelwork and once i finished i thought it captured some of that feeling. not that any of the roughness was intentional, but a happy accident.

If the lino is old it tends to go hard and brittle, I got rid of all my printmaking stuff when I left my flat....stuff had to go :(

Looked at my sewing machine in storage this week, not sure if the sound might be a tad annoying in a shared house. :D

A little secret is that setting a piece of lino on a (working!) radiator about half an hour before you start cutting, makes it softer and easier to cut. :)

Crochet snood in slightly random doubles and trebles, with hyperbolic flounce. It used nearly 2 balls of chunky yarn and a 12 mm hook. The basic idea was that it needed to be something which would fit inside my coat's hood, but wouldn't blow down.
snd2.jpg snd1.jpg

Love the colour Greebo
It looks very toasty indeed!
Probably a bit too warm to wear yet, but I thought it was better to make it before it's needed. For once, the yarn was free - several balls of it came from a garage clearance. There's enough for boot cuffs, armwarmers, and goodness knows what else.

i've been given the keys to the laser cutter at college, i'm allowed to drive it whenever i want :thumbs: my current project is rather involved (no shit :facepalm:) i'm going to attempt reeling silk from cocoons, spinning and then weaving it. but for that i need a really small sampling loom, smaller than anything i could make by hand and you can't buy them. so i laser cut me one :cool:

10856011805_61d3b45569_z.jpg

the slots, holes and teeth are 1mm across, i was worried they'd be too thin and snap - i won't know for sure until i try using it, but it seems like it should be sturdy enough. i'm rather taken with using such a new piece of technology to fabricate such an old one :)

as a bonus the tech printed me a bracelet on the 3d printer :) i'm hoping if i stay on his good side i might get the keys to that next :cool:

Last edited:
I'm roughly a third of the way through adjusting a dress.

That doesn't sound very impressive, but (as with changing the boning on a favourite corset top) finding the nerve to unpick and cut was more difficult than doing the rest is likely to be. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom