Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Have you got buttonhole scissors? I found my grandma's a few weeks ago, will have to have them sharpened.

Have you got buttonhole scissors? I found my grandma's a few weeks ago, will have to have them sharpened.
I had to google those and discovered that actually I do and that's exactly what I've been using. I always thought they were a stray pair of nail scisssors, but not curved, that I'd misappropriated at some point and left in my sewing things. I wonder where they came from then.

I've never done any.

I'm currently attempting to knit this, but in more normal sized wool for a more normal sized scarf, as a leaving present for a colleague (I'm leaving, not him).

Traveller%20Scarf%20260x310.jpg

It is originally an idea from Richard Box.
He was the first person in the textile field that really inspired me.
I started with some green loose weaved fabric and cut out some templates. Then threw a bag of rags and oddments up in the air and really got amongst them. Stuck them on with Marvin medium (ace product) sticks fabric really well without leaving the lumpy bumpyness of ordinary glue. Just very very small pieces at a time and then embellished with some free machine embroidery. A real labour of love it took me yonks.:)

Finished the scarf. The wool was a Lidl special and is 100% wool - really good bargain as it's reasonably washable and comes out lovely and soft. If anyone spots that they have it in again, please let me know! (It's obviously not the enormo-wool specified in the pattern.)

cable scarf2.jpg

Cheers, was a bugger to put the frame on, I am covered in glue! It has a spotty Macclesfield silk lining, keeping it local, like.

Finished scarf #2 for my other colleague. I now have 1 ball of this wool (Kidsilk Aura) left over, which is a bit useless as it's not enough to do much with. I was thinking of putting a fringe on the ends, but now it's finished I think that would spoil it.
I've got some kidsilk I'd be happy to part with :D

Back
Top Bottom