Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I made a dress! I made it out of a sheet as a practice run using a lissette pattern. It's not very exciting but I think it looks quite nice on, bit ropey in places :D

Much more familiar with the sewing machine but still haven't worked out how to make it do zig zag stitches, the needle keeps hitting the plate?

fab rubes :) and looks ace with the cardi.

callie can you look at the hole in the plate and tell me what shape it is? is it round or a long/thin oval?

How long do you think it will take me to make a skirt? There's no gathering, a waistband and an inverted pleat at the front (so essentially A line). Do you reckon I can do it in two days?

How long do you think it will take me to make a skirt? There's no gathering, a waistband and an inverted pleat at the front (so essentially A line). Do you reckon I can do it in two days?
Yes. The most fussy parts would probably be the zip/other fastening and the hem.

E2A: ideally you need to let the skirt hang overnight before hemming it.

And good tip re hanging overnight - would never have occurred to me!

Well hems tend to drop unevenly, esp if the side seams are really on the bias and/or it's very full, so it's best to let them get that out of the way first.

NB if you're really pushed for time you could always do the hem with bondaweb instead of hand sewing it. I quite often leave the zips out of things and just sew a seam as well, as I find I can get them over my head fine without (I don't have huge boobs though).

View attachment 21645

Is no hole! Well a series of rectangles and a little round hole. I need a bigger hole?!

do you have any more plates anywhere? often machines come with a straight stitch plate for delicate fabrics which has a round hole which yours looks like, then there's a general purpose wider one that matches the width of the hole in the foot. does that make any sense? can go dig mine out and check if not?

eta: the rectangular spaces in your plate are for the presser feet to move the fabric. the hole in the centre is for the needle.

Oh yes of course! Feed dogs!

I only have the one plate, not sure how easy it would be to get a replacement/alternative plate as the machine is oldish and I have no model details. Are those plates fairly standard or make/model specific?

Toyota, kindly freecycled from maggot on these here boards. It can do many fancy stitches allegedly but I think as it only has the little hole plate it can't physically do them.

This is more of a "detail your latest craft related purchases" post, but I have just got off ebay an ancient hem marker. This is basically a ruler on a stand, with a puffer that puffs out chalk to mark your straight line all round the hem.

Why did I buy this just as I've declared I'm not going to make more dresses for a while?

This is more of a "detail your latest craft related purchases" post, but I have just got off ebay an ancient hem marker. This is basically a ruler on a stand, with a puffer that puffs out chalk to mark your straight line all round the hem.

Why did I buy this just as I've declared I'm not going to make more dresses for a while?
Because it's an ace thing? :)

Because it's an ace thing? :)
Well hopefully it'll be useful in the future, and save long-suffering friends (eg biddly, who pinned up the above dress) and family members from a bit of grovelling round on hands and knees pinning my hems up (although I don't think it eliminates the grovelling entirely).

The only trouble with using hem markers is if you have a big bum the back will ride up so using a marker will make it look wonky when hemmed...

I made a quilt square today inspired by the quilts zora and I saw in ryeand winchelsea at the weekend

its a picture of a lovely loch in wester ross where i had an uplifting walk in june
i ll try to post a pic tomorrow

I've been working on a copy holder. £7 in Staples, for one that'll only hold A4 sheets in portrait mode (most of my printing is landscape, and I'm buggered if I can find my old £4 one).

First attempt:

Photoon13-08-2012at1052.jpg

£10 the (oak) bannister, £4 the (value) saw, making it already twice the cost of Staples' offering.

And - to date - the slots are too damned small for the documents I want to wedge in there, meaning there's a good hour or three of sawing left 'til it's done.

Second attempt:

Photoon13-08-2012at1050.jpg

15 mins and £2ish of Fimo and it works beautifully HELL YES.

Photoon13-08-2012at1051.jpg

Nice! :D

I'm thinking about making myself a dress. It can't be too complicated, because if it is I'll not finish it, so I was thinking maybe this one. But will it look as if I'm wearing a tent? I'm not as thin as that model. It'd be a bit shorter than even the orange one, probably, and to wear with trousers/leggings and boots. I'm 5'6", size 16/18 and currently quite apple-shaped.

K3856.jpg

Back
Top Bottom