Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

yeah sorry viscose is rayon. i was just looking at the drape and thinking it needed something with swish (viscose is ideal). might not work so well in cotton?

yeah sorry viscose is rayon. i was just looking at the drape and thinking it needed something with swish (viscose is ideal). might not work so well in cotton?
I didn't know they were the same thing! You're probably right. Also having made this one I'm less sure about doing it again. Although I've still got some finishing to do and had forgotten the whole thing would be cut to account for shoulder pads.

Still with the hems pinned up so not totally finished but near enough. The pattern has no front edge facings, and no interfacing at all, so it's a bit floppy, but better now it's got shoulder pads in. Also the front is a bit gapey and may need a brooch or something. I think I'm going to try and squeeze short ties out of the fabric (one pair internal, one pair external) but will probably mostly wear it like this if I do wear it. I bought the fabric very cheap from a market stall - it's somewhere around that fine line between retro and frumpy I think.

brown dress 3 s.jpg

brown dress 2 s.jpg

E2A: fabric close-up

fabric 2.jpg

i love the fabric - a bit like some of the less 'out there' stuff they use at Get Cutie. And the length is brilliant on you!

that is soooo not frumpy rubes :cool: (ace shoes too :D) i reckon the viscose is doing you a favour there: in a stiff cotton 40s dresses tend to come out a little housecoaty iyswim?

really really gorgeous :) an orange patent belt would be good i reckon ;)

Hm, not convinced at all about the 30s being all about drape. Maybe for evening wear. And the shift dress has not been invented that would suit me, even if it could be made to fit me.

btw, i have a couple of yards of (allegedly) original 30s mint cond rayon that i reckon its gonna take me a good decade to get up the courage to cut into ;):D

Well, it was something I saw a student do years ago. Hers was very Su Blackwell. I want to make the book like a frame.

sounds like a watch-and-see thing to me - the right one will turn up, just gotta be patient :) fwiw that's the most "wearable" muslin i've seen :cool:

sounds like a watch-and-see thing to me - the right one will turn up, just gotta be patient :) fwiw that's the most "wearable" muslin i've seen :cool:
What you mean is that you can't find anything either :p

Tbh I've got so much fabric I could try the dressing gown pattern and still have enough to do something else if it looks shit.

Took a break from binding the corset to begin the summer dress.

Just for once, I bothered to copy some of the the pattern pieces because the bodice is fitted and has quite a bit of variation between sizes. Boring, but I'll use the pattern more than a couple of times so it needed doing.

Took a break from binding the corset to begin the summer dress.

Just for once, I bothered to copy some of the the pattern pieces because the bodice is fitted and has quite a bit of variation between sizes. Boring, but I'll use the pattern more than a couple of times so it needed doing.
What's the pattern?

Back
Top Bottom