Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

What's the pattern?
An out of print Vogue V8235 (18-22 and petitable). Either the version on the left or the right, possibly the top from the right and the skirt from the left. Hence copying the top parts into all 3 sizes because if that bit's wrong the rest won't hang properly. The final version will use this cotton.

Haven't quite decided on which order to use them in though, and there's enough for more than one dress. I think I want the palest one at the top... OTOH feather pattern at the top then the dark for the skirt could work. Or the other way around. :hmm:
VB281_MED.jpg
fbsm-jpg.19910

Had another look at the pattern pieces and decided that the skirt was likely to hang in an unflattering way. So the skirt bits have been split lengthwise (not at centre back or centre front) and a long wedge of extra paper is taped in. The alternative is shapewear, but the final version of the finished dress is likely to get worn in v hot weather (summer in Poland can reach 38C) and I'd rather just add ease.

An out of print Vogue V8235 (18-22 and petitable). Either the version on the left or the right, possibly the top from the right and the skirt from the left. Hence copying the top parts into all 3 sizes because if that bit's wrong the rest won't hang properly. The final version will use this cotton.

Haven't quite decided on which order to use them in though, and there's enough for more than one dress. I think I want the palest one at the top... OTOH feather pattern at the top then the dark for the skirt could work. Or the other way around. :hmm:
VB281_MED.jpg
fbsm-jpg.19910

Good colours - the peacock fabric is lovely and I think the only way to do it that wouldn't look so good would be to use the paler fabric as the top skirt section. Pretty much any other combo would be nice.

Good colours - the peacock fabric is lovely and I think the only way to do it that wouldn't look so good would be to use the paler fabric as the top skirt section. Pretty much any other combo would be nice.
Thanks. :) More of the peacock will be needed to allow for the added fullness, but it'll be worth it. The muslin for all except the back section of the skirt and the frill (which will need extending) is now cut.

Ive not done much exciting apart from non specific blanket squares and adapting a primark dress.

The dress was a tropical/parrot print halter neck summer dress with a random yet intended hole under the bust. I switch the halter neck to shoulder straps and used some of the excess material from the straps to plug up the hole :D

Loving you needle felting spirals :)

I can't knit at the mo, so have been making other odds and sods.

Next couple of projects are to make a cushion cover, can i just do this with two squares of fabric and zip or is it more complicated than that? :hmm:

The other is to change a dress into a skirt... this might be trickier.

to make a cushion cover: first catch your wedding dress ;)

nah two squares is fine or even easier a square and a rectangle and just do it envelope style. you can add a button if you like.

I reckon the zip would be easier for me than envelope, made skirts and dresses with zips, but never done a button hole :hmm:

Fantastic fabric Rubes :)

Hmm... I've not got enough of my tattoo fabric for the cushion... maybe a double sided one depending on my mood :D

Oh and I'm going to do the version with the bows, and add some pockets, maybe with bows as well. It wants me to line the whole dress but I'm not sure the skirt really needs it.

If it's quite thin cotton is it worth adding interfacing or not? :hmm:
I've got four horizontal strips to make up a square... I should put the interfacing on each strip then join them shouldn't I? Rather than make the square then attach the interfacing :hmm:

Can you tell I have no pattern? :D

attach square > press > add interfacing makes most sense to me :) less wastage and less things sticking to things they're not supposed to stick to :)

eta: oh and less double layers of interfacing to piss you off later if you're a princess-and-the-pea type ;) *hands up* :oops:

I did think about the extra folds annoying me when I leant back on them, but then with dress bits it always tells me to attach it to the separate pieces then join... but I'm not wearing the cushion cover I guess :D

Ta, less waste and less faff is good for me :)

Back
Top Bottom