Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

It is snugglier and less easy to lose too. I've almost convinced myself that was the plan from the outset :D

Your woolly legwarmers won't be flattering because they never are, even if you are a gazelle. The net skirt sounds brilliant - I would love to do one.

Gosh, those are beautiful vm!

I am really ashamed of my poor efforts but ruby was a complete genius for suggesting I make the scarf into a neck warmer

He is very happy with it:
P2090210.JPG

especially as it also turns into a ninja thing (that's a fierce ninja face obv)
P2090211.JPG

That's brilliant!

I made a sleepmask for my daughter for valentines day and a made some reusable sanitary towels for me (really!)

I'm so glad I got a sewing machine for my birthday - now I can join this threa

I will get a pic of the sleepmask but I'll leave the other to imagination...;)

foal looks cosy in his scarf, Trashy:cool:

was just about to say the same as wayward bob!
Your hair goes really well with the colours in your scarf :cool:
Wish time was on my hands - would love to spend my days creating things like that

Been meaning to crochet myself a similar scarf to go with the green coat (which has been doing good service) but not got round to it yet. Looks great.

Meanwhile I've finished a legwarmer. It's definitely cosy, I've got it on and I don't want to take it off. Snot too flattering but is better with boots... been wondering if they would be better if I didn't taper the leg to the ankle but just made them straight and a bit baggy.

legwarmer1a.jpg

legwarmer2a.jpg

Here's the net circle skirt I'm making laid out on the floor. I wanted to trim the lining even with the net prior to worrying about hemming it. I think the lining should really be a bit shorter than the net, but not sure by how much yet.
IMAG0003.jpg

Here's a not very accurate close up shot of the fabric showing the lining (blue with little brocade flowers), the layer of stiffer net and the top layer of floppy net with polka dots (both black). Am planning to sew some little sequins onto the dots here and there.

IMAG0012.jpg

This is one of my favourite dresses now (thank you clothes swap), I love the cut and the way it hangs... would it be quite easy to replicate? The material I have in mind is quite light cotton, whereas the dress is something heavier... not sure if it would work :hmm:

Also, can someone tell me what this style is called so I can look for a pattern? ta :)

image-upload-7-765001.jpg

What about the other questions? ;)

*googles shift dress*
:rolleyes: :p

Yes, you could make it out of a light cotton but it wouldn't hang so well. Generally (although I can't tell from the pic), shift dresses have quite complex pieces in them to make them go in and out at the right places so I think it would be hard to copy without either a) taking it to bits or b) getting a pattern. Is your dress lined? Lining helps with the 'hang'

Thank you trashy, my dress is lined, so maybe a thicker lining will help. I'm off on the search for a pattern :)

IMO, it's not so much whether a particular style of dress is hard to make as what the actual pattern is like. You could have a really simple shift dress pattern or a massively complicated one with fancy pockets and bound buttonholes or something.

I can't think of any particular type of garment that's inherently massively tricky to make. Bags are the worst IME, lots of fiddly little bits that have to fit together just so and assorted bits of haberdashery that you can't actually get anywhere.

Looking closer, it is made up of 7 pieces (3 front, 4 back). Seems like it would be quite easy to copy and add a seam allowance.

But the lining looks trickier... that's 6 pieces and all a bit complicated round the zip.

Am I safer to just follow a pattern?

Looking closer, it is made up of 7 pieces (3 front, 4 back). Seems like it would be quite easy to copy and add a seam allowance.

But the lining looks trickier... that's 6 pieces and all a bit complicated round the zip.

Am I safer to just follow a pattern?
Yes - and you can find patterns for lined shift dresses quite easily. Fairly sure Vogue carries them right around the year as an officewear basic.

Back
Top Bottom