Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

heh i didn't think mine had pockets :hmm: my posh slip is a 1940s silk one that has made occasional appearances on the nekkid thread ;)

hey bee what do you think to this? pleats on hip are good, nice pockets, not hugely blousy/puffy up top, factory folds :cool: i've done one hollywood pattern and i really rated it.

il_570xN.298849468.jpg

actually, looking at the sizes on the back 34 is the smallest that one goes (you're somewhere between a 34 and a 36 bee, depending on the style) but it goes right up to 48 bust :cool:

the main difference to modern patterns is you only get one size in the envelope, but because the pieces are pre-cut it saves you masses of work and makes cutting/marking a dream (unless you're like me and feel you have to trace it all anyway :rolleyes:)

I don't iron very much, so not sure about pleats :oops: :D

Saying that, I quite like this one, the first or second versions, will look more when I've got some time :)

350px-H1127.jpg

No I didn't know that about pleats!

Your mushroom one? I thought that had buttons down the front and a different collar :hmm:

ah, the one you made your red cardy for :cool:

Would it be easy to do that with an off white collar (if I could find at pattern in my size)?

Would it be weird if I tried to make the same dress :hmm:

I've still got hundreds to flick through... first a cuppa.

yeah there's a contrast collar on the pics so they must be separate pieces (i don't remember). i bloody love it tbh. buttonholes were fiddly but well worth doing over machined ones.

i have it in a 32 which technically should have been too small but i *think* that was the size i made up, with adjustments. i still have all the traced pieces too, somewhere :hmm: grading patterns up a size or so really isn't too tricky and if you have a good fit up top it's often easy to just add a little onto the waist/hip.

Would it be weird if I tried to make the same dress :hmm:

not at all :D and if you could work from my tracings you'd be welcome to have em :)

edit: actually i do remember adding extra in various places and a princess line dress is ace for that as you have a load of seams to spread it around = can mostly wing it :cool:

edit2: it's also incredibly helpful to have a made-up one to try even if it isn't quite your size as it still works as a muslin to see what needs adjusting/where :) we're pretty similar sizes except i have no arse :(:mad:

i'm making a charm bracelet for kid1 for her birthday and having the best time shopping for bits on ebay :D

edit: heh i think i'm gonna get her custom made love hearts :cool:

not at all :D and if you could work from my tracings you'd be welcome to have em :)

edit: actually i do remember adding extra in various places and a princess line dress is ace for that as you have a load of seams to spread it around = can mostly wing it :cool:

edit2: it's also incredibly helpful to have a made-up one to try even if it isn't quite your size as it still works as a muslin to see what needs adjusting/where :) we're pretty similar sizes except i have no arse :(:mad:
ah, so you traced the original pattern out onto other paper? ooh, that would save me a few bob (heh :D) if I could borrow them, and if it was the right(ish) size... not sure if I'd be out of my depth in terms of altering patterns that much (sizing up).

You're about a foot taller than me aren't you? Most people seem to be!

I may possibly have just bought this pattern. Which comes without an instruction sheet so will be interesting, although it looks fairly straightforward. The skirt might not be flattering as is, might change it for more of a circular one.
il_570xN.257612791.jpg

What do you do with your pieces? Do you sell them? I think they look fab!!:)
I try to sell them at South Lambeth Market once a month but tbh, I'm not much of a saleswoman and some days are better than others. I make things for my sanity mostly, I don't expect to make a living out of it.

Back
Top Bottom