Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I've pretty much finished the dress I was making, except that I have this idea that I want to put fancy pockets on it. Probably gathered into a band of the contrast fabric I'm using for the collar, possibly slanted. It would help if I could find a picture of something similar but I've drawn a blank really. Any ideas?

Also I quite fancy doing some embroidery on the collar and have bought some Briggs transfers off ebay if anyone knows anything about how to use them.

The dress is very much of this style (the one on the left).
Advance_3074_495d12e52bb81.jpg

E2A: picture seems to be screwing up: http://ornamentgal.com/joomla/index...category_id=25&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Blimey, haven't seen Briggs transfers for ages! As far as I remember you just cut them out with loads of space round the design so you have room to pin it in position, and press briefly with a hot iron, no steam. I'd practice with a tiny corner of a transfer (sometimes they provide a test piece, or the brand name) and a scrap of fabric.

Blimey, haven't seen Briggs transfers for ages! As far as I remember you just cut them out with loads of space round the design so you have room to pin it in position, and press briefly with a hot iron, no steam. I'd practice with a tiny corner of a transfer (sometimes they provide a test piece, or the brand name) and a scrap of fabric.

Hm. I should have done the embroidery before making up the dress really in case I bugger it up or it doesn't look right. It's a bit late to be putting an actual transfer onto the collar. I wonder if I can do the "prick & pounce" thing (fnar). Presumably pounce powder washes off. They are actual ancient 30s transfers btw.

Last time I saw one, it was a commemorative Battle of Britain tray cloth transfer my mum had found in a biscuit tin, and decided to have a crack at in the 70s :D

Can you not freestyle the embroidery on this one, and use the transfers for something else?

Using scraps of old clothes mostly, with some felt round the outside. Also doing a hooky mat, but progress is very slow - I might keep them both small and use them to make a cushion of some kind.

I'm an immigrant to the North East (originally from Lancashire) so I should show willing - I learned progging in the bit of old mine next to my house :)

Back
Top Bottom