Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

because it has quite a few pieces, would it be called a panelled shift dress?

a lot of the patterns seem to have darts to shape :hmm:

because it has quite a few pieces, would it be called a panelled shift dress?
Maybe, or try princess line, if the panels on the dress you like are vertical.
a lot of the patterns seem to have darts to shape :hmm:
If you want to avoid darts, look for princess line (the bust shaping gets done with curved panels instead) and if you want it lined, look for a "lined shift dress". HTH

you are a star greebo, it is a princess line shift dress... the shape of the front panel fits that description.

ok, one more question, then I'll go off and search...

is there an advantage to using panels (princess) over darts? if it's all one colour you can't notice the shape of the panels, so is one style stronger or just quicker?

(bugger, I've just realised my fabric is very patterned, so might not have enough to match the panels anyway :facepalm: )

ok, one more question, then I'll go off and search...

is there an advantage to using panels (princess) over darts? if it's all one colour you can't notice the shape of the panels, so is one style stronger or just quicker?

(bugger, I've just realised my fabric is very patterned, so might not have enough to match the panels anyway :facepalm: )
If you haven't done darts before, I'd steer clear. Marking them can be a bit of a pig, but it's down to preferences. Panels make it slightly easier to adjust where your bust line is in relation to the armhole, I think. Wayward bob's probably a better person to ask about this.

I have done darts before, I was thinking more about the fit and the hang, and whether that might be down to the panels? :hmm:

Darts would make more sense with the material I've got, hmmmmmm.

I have done darts before, I was thinking more about the fit and the hang, and whether that might be down to the panels? :hmm:

Darts would make more sense with the material I've got, hmmmmmm.
Maybe 2 patterns, and 2 dresses?

I have the material for one dress, but changed my mind about the pattern. So nope, for the moment, one dress one pattern.

the fit will definitely be down to the construction bee (as well as the drape of the fabric) - how the grain line runs on each piece will affect the hang/cling in various places.

darts are a piece of piss :) you just have to remember to shorten the stitches right down when you come to the point and press over a curved surface (rolled up towel). princess line is slightly trickier because where there's shaping (bust, waist, hips) you're sewing two curved sections together, but one curves out and the other curves in. there are various techniques to get that spot on usually involving stay stitching which is a line of stitching 1/8 out from the seam line that prevents stretching on the outer curve and can be used to snug up the inner curve if required. there's plenty of tutorials around and i can dig you one up if you like.

if you're trying to replicate the fit of the dress i'd recommend starting with a pattern and choosing fabric to work with that, rather than working back from the fabric, as it sounds like it's already different enough (drape, pattern) that it's bound to alter the end result. so my advice would be pick another pattern to work with the fabric you have and find something spot-on for the remake of the dress.

xxx

If you ignore the rather dodgy jacket, I think this could be about right:

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1237-products-14148.php?page_id=865
It's not far off, but I'm after a slightly higher neckline, sabrina (?)
the fit will definitely be down to the construction bee (as well as the drape of the fabric) - how the grain line runs on each piece will affect the hang/cling in various places.

darts are a piece of piss :) you just have to remember to shorten the stitches right down when you come to the point and press over a curved surface (rolled up towel). princess line is slightly trickier because where there's shaping (bust, waist, hips) you're sewing two curved sections together, but one curves out and the other curves in. there are various techniques to get that spot on usually involving stay stitching which is a line of stitching 1/8 out from the seam line that prevents stretching on the outer curve and can be used to snug up the inner curve if required. there's plenty of tutorials around and i can dig you one up if you like.
Aye, I've not had problems with darts before, well I had to learn how to do them, but was wondering if it was as straight as 'darts are stronger' or 'fit shape better' than panels iykwim?

The dress I'm making in a couple of weeks has a princess bodice (now that I know what princess line is :oops:), my bust and waist are very different dress sizes so I made up a toile for the bodice and pinning it together was a bit of a bugger. Def is some stay stitching in there, but not had a chance to read through all the instructions... so will be interesting trying to make it!
if you're trying to replicate the fit of the dress i'd recommend starting with a pattern and choosing fabric to work with that, rather than working back from the fabric, as it sounds like it's already different enough (drape, pattern) that it's bound to alter the end result. so my advice would be pick another pattern to work with the fabric you have and find something spot-on for the remake of the dress.

xxx
As much as I want a shift dress in my tall ship fabric I think you might be right... for the hang and the fit, a thin cotton just isn't going to work. So, backing up to my post yesterday, I'll get on the hunt for the pattern I want (might even have a rummage through my MiL's stash). But also need a pattern for my lovely ships, don't really fancy the simple summer dress pattern I have...

:hmm:

6459.jpg

Cheers for all replies... feel like I've gone round in a little circle, but have got a few questions answered with your help, so ta :)

Aye, I've not had problems with darts before, well I had to learn how to do them, but was wondering if it was as straight as 'darts are stronger' or 'fit shape better' than panels iykwim?

everything depends on the skill of whoever drafted the pattern tbh, alongside the techniques used in construction. this is why i love vintage patterns quite so much. i've had much better luck with fit from original vintage patterns (not the reissues). i'm guessing because home sewing was so much more popular then that a) the user was more skilled, and more familiar with complicated techniques and b) there was a greater value on the skill of the draft, rather than just the eye appeal, yunno?

so i know it takes a lot longer but i'd recommend mooching around etsy and the vintage pattern sites and nosing around the blogs: sewretro's great as is the "what have you made" thread on the fedora lounge: some patterns are pretty common so chances of catching one on ebay in your size (or near enough) is pretty high :)

eta: if you're working from originals it's really handy to have a sewing book from around the same time as they generally cover the techniques you're likely to find in the patterns. they come up all the time on ebay :)

4563272201_e72d8b7111.jpg

I have enough projects for April, so not in too much of a hurry, but unfortunately I don't have the build for vintage patterns, they weren't often made in my size ;) :D

small boobs, big bum :D

that says forties to me: do those styles appeal at all?

patterns were made in all sizes: from slip-of-a-girl to doughty matron :D but the larger sizes were more likely to be reused, which is why they sometimes appear less often as second hand patterns. but one glance at the stuff on the fedora lounge in particular tells you there are patterns/styles to fit/suit pretty much everyone out there and you don't fall as far as you think from the average ;)

Some of them do, but then there are some styles I love from the 60s too - not necessarily the colours, but the cuts. I need time to do some searching I think :hmm: or a stylist :D

I don't think that's true at all. It's only in the last 10 years or so that there have really been any patterns at all available above about an 18, AFAIR.

they certainly did exist even if they may be fetching a premium second hand these days.

ooh i'd not seen she has new patterns: she's more into 30s stuff as a rule but this looks like a really cute 40s one :) (can't comment on how well they sew up but she's a decent seamstress and afaik she reproduces original patterns just grades them up for you)

edit2: this is cute as fuck too :)

il_570xN.244278643.jpg

I've only got one now, and that's the only item of clothing I've been searching for for ages... maybe I could make a tall ship shirt dress?

what's the edging bit called? it's not tubing is it? I'm not sure about that with the material, and quite fancy pockets too.

was it fully lined?

piping: think i added that don't think its on the pattern. and easy enough to leave pockets off :) and no not lined: i has a posh slip :oops:

Back
Top Bottom