Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

And that’s fucking key with the ‘Don’t Pay’ campaign - imo it should be intertwined with the private rental sector too, which is the biggest piss take going.
Exactly. "Cut me off then, and?"

Will they kick people put of publically heated places like a town hall. How many people will they lock up and for how long? How big are the prisons to deal with public disobedience and at least are heated.

Exactly. "Cut me off then, and?"

Will they kick people put of publically heated places like a town hall. How many people will they lock up and for how long? How big are the prisons to deal with public disobedience and at least are heated.
Sorry, had to edit my post cos it didn’t make fucking sense to me :D

it's not very impressive, us being one of the handful of biggest net importers of electricity in the world, with all that windy sea all around and everything. And it didn't used to be like this.
Nice map of us being coloured in red, along with only a couple of other places on the planet. Net electricity imports

I saw a thread about crumbling infrastructure in the UK and I think that's something that can easily go overlooked. I'm in an incandescent rage not just because of the cost of living but the fact that so much stuff is just inherently unsafe nowadays.

I went swimming earlier this week and had to speak to the lifeguard about something and had the horrific realisation he was not remotely equipped for that job and if something goes wrong I'm on my own. The supermarket shelves are grimey with food spillages that aren't cleaned for weeks, the receptionist at my vet gave me advice that would have killed my pet, more generally there seems to have been a massive decline in first aid training or the quality of it at some point as well as there being an uptick in accidents because of gestures at everything. Most HE courses that don't lead to some sort of protected job title have been thoroughly hollowed out and I essentially don't have a GP because of the way my practice is behaving.

That's the shit that's winding everyone up. Too many people are getting hit with horrific one off personal traumas in one go like their mum's cancer got missed and now she's dead and the local council are giving them grief about the house, or they've had to sue their employer for leaking a load of sensitive data that's really messed them up, or they found out their mate died via Facebook and it's the third death they're dealing with in a month and they found out about the other two through Facebook too because there's basically no local newspapers anymore and even going up the pub feels like a chore after everything else (assuming you can afford it in the first place). Things kicking off isn't some sort of logic response, even if it seems logical, it's an emotional one

Edit: whoops went on a massive rant there

I saw a thread about crumbling infrastructure in the UK and I think that's something that can easily go overlooked. I'm in an incandescent rage not just because of the cost of living but the fact that so much stuff is just inherently unsafe nowadays.

I went swimming earlier this week and had to speak to the lifeguard about something and had the horrific realisation he was not remotely equipped for that job and if something goes wrong I'm on my own. The supermarket shelves are grimey with food spillages that aren't cleaned for weeks, the receptionist at my vet gave me advice that would have killed my pet, more generally there seems to have been a massive decline in first aid training or the quality of it at some point as well as there being an uptick in accidents because of gestures at everything. Most HE courses that don't lead to some sort of protected job title have been thoroughly hollowed out and I essentially don't have a GP because of the way my practice is behaving.

That's the shit that's winding everyone up. Too many people are getting hit with horrific one off personal traumas in one go like their mum's cancer got missed and now she's dead and the local council are giving them grief about the house, or they've had to sue their employer for leaking a load of sensitive data that's really messed them up, or they found out their mate died via Facebook and it's the third death they're dealing with in a month and they found out about the other two through Facebook too because there's basically no local newspapers anymore and even going up the pub feels like a chore after everything else (assuming you can afford it in the first place). Things kicking off isn't some sort of logic response, even if it seems logical, it's an emotional one

when historians look back at this time, they'll be amazed at how little rioting there was in the period 2011-2022

why doesn't UK have its own electricity supply what is wrong with it?

Showing its age now but this is a decent explanation of how we got into this mess.

Things have gotten worse since it was written.

I had a discussion today with a couple of NHS workers, and we admitted we now feel like we're working in a second rate health service. It's a crumbling mess, only held together by over-worked staff, a total refusal to look into the future, and blind optimism it hopefully will get better next shift/week/month/year...

I had a discussion today with a couple of NHS workers, and we admitted we now feel like we're working in a second rate health service. It's a crumbling mess, only held together by over-worked staff, a total refusal to look into the future, and blind optimism it hopefully will get better next shift/week/month/year...
it's amazing there's anything left of the health service after 12 years of tory attacks and the private finance bollocks under labour. so much stuff's been handed over to private companies, like when i went for a colonoscopy and after asking to go to one nhs hospital found myself sent to a private hospital about 10 miles away

Showing its age now but this is a decent explanation of how we got into this mess.

Things have gotten worse since it was written.
thank you. I'm going to read that, he's good at writing as i recall too.
*but not to read immediately because this year i'm only allowed young adult fantasy novels, preferably with dragons in, as an antidote to real life.

EDF is. What kind of mad country would privatise its Electricity generation, grid and markets...

Such depressing reading. My Dad worked for SEEboard all his life from the age of 18 and we was given a substantial amount of 'free' shares when it was all privatised. He wrote a personalised letter to 'management' explaining he would be unable to accept these shares, as it was unlawful, as the electricity board was already owned by the nation. We were all nasty, ungrateful and unpolitical kids and sneered a bit at his stance on 'free' money.

He died at a youngish age (45) four years later. SEEboard pushed through a 'retirement' payment for him of £45k, even though he had been given 6 x weeks to live. I thought there was a double funeral going on at the crematorium. No, it was all the SEEboard employees remembering him with 'love and respect'.

Us nasty, ungrateful kids benefited from his retirement money.

Such depressing reading. My Dad worked for SEEboard all his life from the age of 18 and we was given a substantial amount of 'free' shares when it was all privatised. He wrote a personalised letter to 'management' explaining he would be unable to accept these shares, as it was unlawful, as the electricity board was already owned by the nation. We were all nasty, ungrateful and unpolitical kids and sneered a bit at his stance on 'free' money.

He died at a youngish age (45) four years later. SEEboard pushed through a 'retirement' payment for him of £45k, even though he had been given 6 x weeks to live. I thought there was a double funeral going on at the crematorium. No, it was all the SEEboard employees remembering him with 'love and respect'.

Us nasty, ungrateful kids benefited from his retirement money.
I refused to buy my 1/3 price BT shares when they privatised the phones as an 17 year old apprentice.

I could have stuck this on the climate thread (or a few others tbh), and at the risk of stating the obvious a huge part of the political struggle we have is being able to clearly explain (and then act on) that what are treated as isolated individual crises is false and part of the problem. That the 'cost of living' (urgh), the slow collapse of the NHS and social care, the climate crisis, the endemic unhappiness among people, housing problems, etc etc. all have a common root, and a large part of what we need to do is clearly name that problem, and then show how we can take it and its adherents on and win.

I am probably going to haul the crappy gasfire out of my fireplace, bring a shitload of poplar and oak from my wood and run a rocket stove in the
kitchen. Slightly worried about smoking chimneys but I still have my old chimney brushes somewhere. To be perfectly honest, I don't give the tiniest of fucks about particulates or smoke-filled rooms. I am fucking angry, frightened and fully inclined to burn the fucking street down.

O and probably shoplifting.

Back
Top Bottom