Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

Next up, I suspect, is that the Labour left split and try to take the name 'Labour' with them into a new party that is explicitly re-aligned with unions.

Obviously then there'll be a massive court case over it that will entertain us all through the next ten years of nascent fascism, and by the time it's settled both wings will find themselves banned anyway.

So , what you are quite literally saying is you think Stratford East London is identical to Monaco. I bet you’ve never even read any Shakespear.
No it is better than Monaco because it has the great British sense of humour, is part of a country that includes Scotland and has outdoor escalators but all they have is the escalators.

No it is better than Monaco because it has the great British sense of humour, is part of a country that includes Scotland and has outdoor escalators but all they have is the escalators.
So what you are unequivocally saying is that you literally think the tow path of the River Lee is nicer than the Upper Corniche along the coast from Nice to Monaco....

Or indeed, thousands of people actually dying of hypothermia. Talking about triggers for social unrest etc.

dunno really.

more than a few people died of covid, and the only unrest has been the twats who think it's all a hoax / object to wearing a mask for the few minutes they are in shops and so on, and the prime minister of the day (can't remember what he's doing now) was dismissive because it was 'only' over 80's who were likely to die.

i expect a lot of deceased felines - headline tax cuts (that will mostly benefit the already rich) paid for by spending cuts (that won't get mentioned), more culture wars to blame immigrants, LGBT people, 'scroungers' and trade unions for it all, and starmer whipping labour MP's to abstain in a highly forensic manner.

we're doomed.

Surely people will protest, or riot or something? Where I live almost everyone (including me) is on pre-pay meters - since it's summer and noone's using heating, it will be a massive shock when it goes on in the Autumn. A friend is already talking about only heating one room in her house and all sleeping in the living room.

I know folks often think us liveaboards - those of us off grid without a shoreline, are the struggling ones, but I know I’ll be able to heat my home this winter. Off grid can be expensive in winter - you don’t get enough solar power and have to run the engine to compensate, generating electricity with diesel or petrol isn’t economical, but I think this is the winter it’s gonna change. Especially with the charging and battery technology improving. It is shit though when shore power electric goes up so much it makes more sense burning coal than using a radiator - caravan parks and marina dwellers are exempt from help with bills. I predict more pollution and perhaps carbon monoxide poisoning as folks who have no experience of using burners try keeping warm with solid fuel.

Last edited:
Glad to see you are at least consistent in your wrongness.

View attachment 335343
a.

View attachment 335344

b.
Let's not get chauvinistic in either direction here. Monaco's a cesspit of dirty money that exports such unsightly things as poverty and industry into the surrounding towns and villages. London's also a cesspit of dirty money, and merely includes both its beautified horrors and its masses within one boundary. Also the Lea has some very pretty bits if you know where you're going.

Surely people will protest, or riot or something? Where I live almost everyone (including me) is on pre-pay meters - since it's summer and noone's using heating, it will be a massive shock when it goes on in the Autumn. A friend is already talking about only heating one room in her house and all sleeping in the living room.

It's going to be brutal. Next increase at the time people want to start heating their homes. Don't most people turn the heating off when they go to bed though?

Have fuel thefts gone up?....I just saw a post from a friend on Facebook saying he's been in a Shell garage and paid them £1.40 a litre.

I suspect there's a video going round encouraging people to do it but the content has been deleted.

Have fuel thefts gone up?....I just saw a post from a friend on Facebook saying he's been in a Shell garage and paid them £1.40 a litre.

I suspect there's a video going round encouraging people to do it but the content has been deleted.

How?

I don't know, I suspect the video encourages people to go in and pay cash. A mate of my son's posted it and said he's fully expecting to see the inside of a courtroom at some point but it felt good doing it.

i live in a fairly good area of london, and i can tell that the shops around here are total piss takers. it's very rare that you catch a bargin, or think something is reasonably priced. i was thirsty this mornign and popped into a co-op, 2quid for a tiny bottle of fucking orange juice. charity shops where a t-shirt is £6. books are £1.50 instead of bloody 50p. to "pop down the shops" now to get some shopping and maybe a coffee and sandwich costs about £50 around here. I just don't do it. I have a weekly treat of a coffee and a cake, a night out a fortnight, my pret subscription and that's about it. I don't earn terrible money either. the idea of foreign holidays is just a far off dream. saving? forget it.
I’ve been cultivating relations with takeaways around my way.

A tourist-tastic 14 quid for cod and chips down to local price 5 quid

My kebab man did me a simple locals deal. Small orders 5 quid large orders 10 quid

Local hipster bar knocks a quid off its drinks for me

People are just being stolen from, rolling over and getting their tummies tickled while greedy Cunts have their finger in their wallets

Greed is now dressed up as economic necessity, either to make up for corona years, brexit or as protection against the future

Country is fucked, world is ducked

Or indeed, thousands of people actually dying of hypothermia. Talking about triggers for social unrest etc.

Nothing good, unfortunately. The problem is that nothing good can now come from not kicking off either. And rioting and burning stuff, is a very good way to keep warm.

I look forward to our becoming East Eire in due course :thumbs:
Mr Crow

If you fight you won't always win.
But if you don't fight you will always
lose

I wonder if we'll have to start prepaying soon like in some countries.

an increasing number of places are encouraging 'pay at pump' (which means you put your card in before you get anything) and / or only do 'pay at pump' after a certain time of an evening, which means they can cut more jobs as well.

I’ve been cultivating relations with takeaways around my way.

A tourist-tastic 14 quid for cod and chips down to local price 5 quid

My kebab man did me a simple locals deal. Small orders 5 quid large orders 10 quid

Local hipster bar knocks a quid off its drinks for me

People are just being stolen from, rolling over and getting their tummies tickled while greedy Cunts have their finger in their wallets

Greed is now dressed up as economic necessity, either to make up for corona years, brexit or as protection against the future

Country is fucked, world is ducked
I get a peverse satisfaction at seeing some of the "trendy" craft type shops selling absoloute shite to people with money. Spray painted twigs and soaps and candle holders etc, where the price is so high that even if you have loads of money, you'd have to be an absoloute idiot to buy it. Packets of crappy incense for 5 quid because tehy are in nice packaging etc. One thing about being pretty much skint is that what is bought suddenly has more value, and my charity shop purchases, because they are a treat, ornomonts, homewear etc, are very much treasured. A fool and his money are easily parted. You're right, it's a literal shafting esp in these trendy areas of London.

I don't know, I suspect the video encourages people to go in and pay cash. A mate of my son's posted it and said he's fully expecting to see the inside of a courtroom at some point but it felt good doing it.

As I recall (because I once had a numberplate stolen, and presumably used for fuel theft) they have centralised systems that allow pumps to be cut off if your plate is recognised. I think that was a motorway service station, smaller ones may not have them, but yeah it's not a great idea to go around committing crimes in something which is directly tied to your identity. Also generated a kind of side thought that we might see a bit of a rise in FOTLer type stuff... Think similar to covid; group solidarity requires a great deal of commitment that is made harder by struggling to make ends meet, isolation etc. Simple explanations that give you 'this one weird trick' are easier, even if they're illusory.

I get a peverse satisfaction at seeing some of the "trendy" craft type shops selling absoloute shite to people with money. Spray painted twigs and soaps and candle holders etc, where the price is so high that even if you have loads of money, you'd have to be an absoloute idiot to buy it. Packets of crappy incense for 5 quid because tehy are in nice packaging etc. One thing about being pretty much skint is that what is bought suddenly has more value, and my charity shop purchases, because they are a treat, ornomonts, homewear etc, are very much treasured. A fool and his money are easily parted. You're right, it's a literal shafting esp in these trendy areas of London.
One of the flatmates mums has a Costco card. I’ve tried to explain the difference between wholesale and retail to both flatmates in the hope that they see passed the local londis when they run out of everyday household consumables…. But I don’t hold out hope it’s about 900 meters further to walk

Back
Top Bottom