Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

this sort of shite. that star is probably £70 :D:D

View attachment 335441
ETA 3 pints of guiness rant

Individually crafted by 10 year old Vietnamese children, worth every penny

I live on Facebook market place, I’ve only bought one piece of new furniture since 2005.

Is the economy not biting hard enough for people yet? Surely this is a house of cards, when the “think they are comfortably middle class” stop buying silver sprayed geegaws struggle with the interest on their debt and suddenly can’t pay the finance or the fuel for their shiny SUVs what happens

Do we all fall in a pile and fight it out or do some pillars of the house of cards wobble but stay upright ?

I’m expecting the multi generational wealth of the great 80s council house hand over, property as pension and landlordism to run out in a decade, eaten up by future generations debt from living, from education, from the cost of living, from the encroaching private health care system

My parents (quite well off) can see their life’s toils down the shitter in one generational jump. My nieces and nephews will see no transfer of wealth because it’s already engaged in the survival of their parents in the keeping food on the table, heating, roof over heads

Has anyone ever mapped/measured maslows hierachy of needs and mapped societies rise and slide against them. Shot is going backwards fast

Last edited:
i get that Spray Painted Twig shops are not actually much to do with the debate at all. And have no baring. But to me they are like the platonic ideal of "cheap shit over priced probably through greed".

They're probably not raking it in tbh. High rents, staffing costs etc.
i know, i know. and it;s basic economics isn't. they have to buy all the other over priced stuff in their lives too.

somethign has to give eventually.

i'm not really knocking them much, but i will refuse a £70 quid star made out of linen or a candle holder that costs £15. i get that it's the game pretty much rather than the players.

I mean it is a particularly objectionable shop, and I'm quite surprised it survived the pandemic. Possibly someone with alternative funds.

i feel bad genuinely

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((craft shop owners))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0

people say "oh why don't you move out then to somewhere cheaper." not easy with two parents in their 80s five minutes away, my kids nearby, how much it would cost to commute. i sometimes feel like an insect under a magnifying glass. But i'll survive. i would say disposable income is being cut by about £30 every few months. I'll probably do what i normally do and go for promotion to try and free up some extra.

ETA 3 pints of guiness rant

Individually crafted by 10 year old Vietnamese children, worth every penny

I live on Facebook market place, I’ve only bought one piece of new furniture since 2005.
my flat is gorgeous - nearly all free stuff of marketplace, freecycle, stuff that work are chucking out, and charity shops.

As I recall (because I once had a numberplate stolen, and presumably used for fuel theft) they have centralised systems that allow pumps to be cut off if your plate is recognised. I think that was a motorway service station, smaller ones may not have them, but yeah it's not a great idea to go around committing crimes in something which is directly tied to your identity. Also generated a kind of side thought that we might see a bit of a rise in FOTLer type stuff... Think similar to covid; group solidarity requires a great deal of commitment that is made harder by struggling to make ends meet, isolation etc. Simple explanations that give you 'this one weird trick' are easier, even if they're illusory.
Actually my mate drove away without paying by accident last year. Next time she went to the pumps she found they wouldn't work although it was at the same place as previous. I'll be interested if he manages to get fuel elsewhere now.

I think it might be targeted at shell aswell so I guess it's quite likely they at least will have such a system.

I’m absolutely shitting it on behalf of my elderly parents because come October, the bills will be more than their pensions. I’m gonna try buy all my winter solid fuel next invoice payment, get it delivered to their garage, (I’m off grid and don’t face the same rises), because I think we (my brothers and I) will need to bail them out, constantly.

We wrote a budget for them after the previous rise, now got to write another. I don’t know how much more we can tighten our belts - we can’t really. We’re thrifty, we batch cook, shop second hand, dry the washing outside, don’t eat out, go to pubs, get haircuts, any of that, but it’s never enough is it?

I can’t put into words how angry I am with the Tories, I’m raging.

My parents have a chimney and fireplace, it looks more decorative to me though, will ask dad, he built the house, because honestly, I think a lot of fires will get lit in this area this winter. Wonder if we’ll get smog? 💀💀

Yes I think shit will kick off. It needs to kick off.
That makes me think there might be a forthcoming risk of house fires and/or carbon monoxide poisoning as people are tempted to open up and use old fireplaces, as many probably won't realise chimneys need sweeping before they do so and people will have blocked up air vents over the years to keep the cold out. Coal fires etc used to be more common when I was growing up, my grandparents had one, but lots of people won't have grown up with solid fuel fires and won't know how to use them safely.

That makes me think there might be a forthcoming risk of house fires and/or carbon monoxide poisoning as people are tempted to open up and use old fireplaces, as many probably won't realise chimneys need sweeping before they do so and people will have blocked up air vents over the years to keep the cold out.

if of course they have houses old enough to have fireplaces. wonder what people without them will do. can you still get paraffin heaters and fuel for them? a fair proportion of house fires in the 60s / 70s were caused by them...

if of course they have houses old enough to have fireplaces. wonder what people without them will do. can you still get paraffin heaters and fuel for them? a fair proportion of house fires in the 60s / 70s were caused by them...
Calor is pretty awful too, makes so much moisture.

I’m on kerosene fuel in a big plastic tank for my heating & hot water. That makes me better off now I think than people on mains gas at the mercy of the decisions of company ceos, because I have some degree of agency as to when to buy and where from. It’s still almost double per litre of what it was a year ago though. But well down from a massive peak just after the Russian invasion. Which of course is when I last bought some, because I’d almost run out, in march.

I’m on kerosene fuel in a big plastic tank for my heating & hot water. That makes me better off now I think than people on mains gas at the mercy of the decisions of company ceos, because I have some degree of agency as to when to buy and where from. It’s still almost double per litre of what it was a year ago though. But well down from a massive peak just after the Russian invasion. Which of course is when I last bought some, because I’d almost run out, in march.
Do you wait till the tanks low to order or battleship refuel little and often ?

Back
Top Bottom