Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

Since the cost of gas went up, all I see is prepay gas pumps. The clerk where I get gas said they were getting multiple drive-offs a day.
I've only been to the US twice (and both times to Florida) so perhaps not the broadest of samples but all the gas stations I saw were pre-pay even then (2001 and 2010). Here in the UK pre-pay are a minority but they do exist.
Costco is pre-pay at the pump (there is no kiosk) and at £1.81 for a litre of diesel it's actually worth the 20-mile round trip rather than go the 2 mile round trip to the local BP at £1.99 per litre.

I've only been to the US twice (and both times to Florida) so perhaps not the broadest of samples but all the gas stations I saw were pre-pay even then (2001 and 2010). Here in the UK pre-pay are a minority but they do exist.
Costco is pre-pay at the pump (there is no kiosk) and at £1.81 for a litre of diesel it's actually worth the 20-mile round trip rather than go the 2 mile round trip to the local BP at £1.99 per litre.

I'm in Nebraska. We tend to be a decade behind trends anywhere else in the country.

Yeah my local Asda is as well, but that's just because they haven't got a booth. I couldn't imagine filling up at Shell or BP or the like the right now. I've always been price sensitive, but it's bonkers.

It's purely phycological, but I like letting mine get to near empty any more. Last time was £120.

I'm in Nebraska. We tend to be a decade behind trends anywhere else in the country.

It's all prepay in California too IIRC.

Did you know in New Jersey and Oregon people aren't even allowed to pump their own gas? Some bizarre law apparently.

I vaguely recall that when passing through Oregon - which also has no sales tax IIRC
Same here. I knew there was somewhere I'd been in the US where they had pump attendants! I thought it was odd, but quite quaint. No idea of the reasons why until I read that article.

So my Mum & step-Dads gas & electric direct debit has gone up from £85 a month to over £500 a month! British Gas. I’ll be following this up :mad: That’s like a fucking mortgage!

What the actual fuck is going on in the UK? Energy costs rising like that, petrol costs are now just fucking insane, food costs are soaring.

I’m in the lucky position to not only be okay but also help my Mum. But this has got to come to a head this autumn/winter hasn’t it? I mean huge swathes of the population- not just the unemployed, retired and those on UC but lots & lots more- are simply not going to be able to meet their basic living costs.

Anyone have any advice on how to tackle British Gas? My step Dad (ex forces) is vigilant about sending in meter readings. How can it of gone up that much 😱

The people of the uk are absolutely fucked.
I'm interested to hear how you got on with British Gas Edie . They have just told me that my direct debit should go up from £150 to £521 (and the account is in credit by over that amount)! Spoke to them today and just got a load of flannel.

Really worried about it all, and I am relatively comfortably off.. God knows how others will cope.

I'm interested to hear how you got on with British Gas Edie . They have just told me that my direct debit should go up from £150 to £521 (and the account is in credit by over that amount)! Spoke to them today and just got a load of flannel.

Really worried about it all, and I am relatively comfortably off.. God knows how others will cope.
When you complain to British Gas about stuff like this, write to them recorded delivery and tell them you expect correspondence in writing only. It signals you're getting your ducks in a row to go to the ombudsman or otherwise cause them serious issues so they back down and sort the problem out

Just seems to be no end to this crisis - on a personal level I can ride it out - if it doesn't go on for years that is. But if people are spending more and more money on heating/rent/mortgages (interest rates are on an upward trajectory) then they will spend less money on going out, buying stuff - so companies that own bars/restaurants are going to suffer - and companies that sell stuff we don't really need will suffer too. That will lead to more people unemployed, and less spending going on - leading to more and more of similar issues - a downward spiral - am I being melodramatic ?

My bills are all in and the landlord hasn't contacted me at all yet. I don't know much about this kind of shit, but if he's on some kind of fixed tariff will these rises not affect him?

Bracing myself.

Not far! I called them and got nowhere as was not the account holder, even tho I have LPA. I have now written to them (pretending to be my Mum) requesting all meter readings, past bills, and explanation of how the debt has seemingly accrued, and asking why it’s been changed mid contract and an explanation of why they think they can legally do this. I marked it as a complaint.

Awaiting reply. Have done a bit of research about the complaints process and ombudsman service.

Sorry you are experiencing the same thing. Were you also under the impression you were on a fixed tariff contract?

God almighty she’s so thick.
She is indeed. Makes me quite weary, why can't we have leaders that are at least baseline competent ? Found myself harking back to the good old/bad old (delete as appropriate) days of Gordon Brown, whatever else he was, at least he gave the impression he was brighter than most. And then we got Cameron. Oy vey. Anyway this was also sparked by this Gordon Brown: ‘Set emergency budget or risk a winter of dire poverty’

All very depressing especially if we end up with Truss, who will panic, ad-lib and "Oh it's not my fault there's nothing we can do" her way through the coming recession, surrounded by a cabinet all grateful it isn't them in Number 10 during a crisis. Bother.

Here's a good side to it though, people won't be able to afford asparagus and strawberries in the winters and that's got to be good for the planet innit ?

Well it’s funny you say that izz , about strawberries and asparagus.

Cos it seems fairly obvious to me that whatever is causing all this shit and grief, this is what the end result of capitalism and consumerism looks like anyway. So if we don’t get used to it and find ways to live with it now, we’re fucked in the long term anyway.

Apart from those who are very well paid, there’s always this huge divide though, between people paying market rates for housing (renters and recent buyers) and those paying for their homes at the price of housing in previous times.

That’s how we don’t have a critical mass of fury. That’s how people are still able to take foreign holidays and drive cars they can replace every few years. Home ownership through the 90s and 00s was attainable for lots of people and those people, many if them working class, actually aren’t struggling in the same way as the private tenant paying market rent. (Around here that’s £1200 /month for a 1 bed flat). People might be miffed at the increases in costs, and might have to cut back a bit, but there’s a huge chasm between the desperate and the safe, and an enormous proportion of the Uk are on the safe side because they have a manageable (or paid off) home. Those people won’t riot. They won’t revolt. Solidarity is lip service when your mortgage is only a few hundred a month.

When you complain to British Gas about stuff like this, write to them recorded delivery and tell them you expect correspondence in writing only. It signals you're getting your ducks in a row to go to the ombudsman or otherwise cause them serious issues so they back down and sort the problem out
Thanks for that, will do so.

Well it’s funny you say that izz , about strawberries and asparagus.

Cos it seems fairly obvious to me that whatever is causing all this shit and grief, this is what the end result of capitalism and consumerism looks like anyway. So if we don’t get used to it and find ways to live with it now, we’re fucked in the long term anyway.
yuppidyyupps, the people that will do better are those that drag a mattress down into the living room to sleep as that's the only place that's warm in winter, and don't get a face like a slapped arse at the absence of lettuce/dragon fruit/kumquats/mangos (In the UK) in January. I propose to slap anyone who whinges in supermarkets, we've been living incredibly unsustainably for decades. Hey ho and pass the dried apples :D

Apart from those who are very well paid, there’s always this huge divide though, between people paying market rates for housing (renters and recent buyers) and those paying for their homes at the price of housing in previous times.

That’s how we don’t have a critical mass of fury. That’s how people are still able to take foreign holidays and drive cars they can replace every few years. Home ownership through the 90s and 00s was attainable for lots of people and those people, many if them working class, actually aren’t struggling in the same way as the private tenant paying market rent. (Around here that’s £1200 /month for a 1 bed flat). People might be miffed at the increases in costs, and might have to cut back a bit, but there’s a huge chasm between the desperate and the safe, and an enormous proportion of the Uk are on the safe side because they have a manageable (or paid off) home. Those people won’t riot. They won’t revolt. Solidarity is lip service when your mortgage is only a few hundred a month.
This is absolutely true. And many on urban inc me are in the fortunate position of having bought in the 90s or 2000s. So yes diesel and utility and food prices are going up but that means less disposable income and savings, not heat or eat decisions.

Not far! I called them and got nowhere as was not the account holder, even tho I have LPA. I have now written to them (pretending to be my Mum) requesting all meter readings, past bills, and explanation of how the debt has seemingly accrued, and asking why it’s been changed mid contract and an explanation of why they think they can legally do this. I marked it as a complaint.

Awaiting reply. Have done a bit of research about the complaints process and ombudsman service.

Sorry you are experiencing the same thing. Were you also under the impression you were on a fixed tariff contract?
No I knew I was on standard variable, but my account is in credit. Hardly used gas at all since March, just don’t understand where this figure comes from.

Neither of us earn much, but our housing costs are low, we are fundermentaly safe. Even if I loose my job I could do agency social care and just about pay the bills.

The idea of paying current rents would fill me with dread. I honestly don't know how we'd do it.

yuppidyyupps, the people that will do better are those that drag a mattress down into the living room to sleep as that's the only place that's warm in winter, and don't get a face like a slapped arse at the absence of lettuce/dragon fruit/kumquats/mangos (In the UK) in January. I propose to slap anyone who whinges in supermarkets, we've been living incredibly unsustainably for decades. Hey ho and pass the dried apples :D
Dried apples are really nice but I haven't seen them for years. A trip to the healthfood shop beckons

Reactions: izz
Dried apples are really nice but I haven't seen them for years. A trip to the healthfood shop beckons

My apple tree is dumping apples by the armful right now. Not ripe yet so I guess it’s the drought and heat. I guess I’ll be making apple butter and drying apples from now til proper harvest. Tree is laden, I thought it would be a “good harvest” but it’s mostly abundant rather than good. Still a blessing, to be sure.

Good weather for drying anyway.

Back
Top Bottom