Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

and how many homes built since about the 1960s have got fireplaces?

And lots of older houses, particularly terraces, will have had their chimneys blocked off long since. Hard to see how getting a builder in to undo that, then a chimney sweep to clear out 40 years' worth of dead pigeons, then buying a wood burner is going to save anyone money clean air act or no.

Last edited:
I'm kinda relying on the people who produced the graph knowing what it is or what it's based on. It would be good to know what FT article it came from because that would likely explain in more detail but my previous reply is my best guess.
The graph is from the FT article: 'UK consumer confidence hits record low as household mood darkens'.
Here is a link to a paywall free copy: archive.ph

The confidence index is drawn up by research firm GfK and comprises the five elements listed below:

Attachments

• consumer-confidence.png
    consumer-confidence.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 4

Looks like we maybe in for a hard long autumn/winter:confused:

And lots of older houses, particularly terraces, will have had their chimneys blocked off long since. Hard to see how getting a builder in to undo that, then a chimney sweet to clear out 40 years' worth of dead pigeons, then buying a wood burner is going to save anyone money clean air act or no.
+ the installation of a liner if the chimney is ropey

Looks like we maybe in for a hard long autumn/winter:confused:
It won't stop in spring

Grain prices up, fertiliser so expensive some factories are stopping making it.

It will hit in harvest 2023. 2024 harvest depends on what happens in 2023
Just have a look at the restaurants utility bill

Just have a look at the restaurants utility bill

It's mad - farmers are trying to weigh up if running generators off bio or even regular diesel is a better option.
Obviously most people don't have generators or tons of veg oil lying round.

It's bonkers

There has to be a limit.

Perhaps what people can afford, after that they will stop buying because they can't afford it.

Perhaps there is a natural limit.

You can see why he never got a look in as the presidential nominee for the democrats /stating the obvious

Fair play.

There has to be a limit.

Perhaps what people can afford, after that they will stop buying because they can't afford it.

Perhaps there is a natural limit.

TBH that's something the State and capital are probably struggling with at the moment. Like they can't risk people stopping paying bills, defaulting on loans, stop spending, etc. en masse. The whole edifice would crumble very quickly, so they're likely to try and prevent that with some 'bail out' measures, but that will be contested even internally within governments etc. between proper loon Darwinian free market types and the others. It's going to be an interesting time ahead...

They're just regurgitating the article they published back in the spring about a summer of unrest:
smiley_yawn.gif

Nor in my dad's village. Although there is a mains gas pipe passes by at the bottom of the field in front of his house.

Christ, am I your dad? The mains gas for England passes through the next field but one in front of my house. We have no gas in our village.

As for oil bimble and others, it's an unregulated industry and you are at the mercy of people who can charge what they like. Theft from oil tanks has been a thing around here for a while now.

I don't have an oil tank. I burn wood.

Nothing. There is still an old lady who claims to be in charge of you all.
Politicians are mugging you off by giving all your money to their mates.
You are paying half a million pounds a day on storage for masks that weren't fit for purpose*.
And apparently there's no money.
Brought up believing there is no alternative. It's just the way things are.
Do not question your lot in life.

There is no cost of living crisis. The money is definitely still there. Just people are sitting on it.

*Government wasted £10 billion on PPE - East Anglian MPs implicated

Last edited:
We're not on mains gas, we've a tank in the garden. We filled it in April and it's still 90% full, which we'll top up in October. We've two multifuel stoves and an open fire - the open fire was previously decorative, but we've opened it up to use properly.

We'll be burning lots of wood this winter - benefits of living next to a forest - and being as sparing as we can with the gas heating. The price is going to be shocking, but potentially the biggest issue is going to be availability....

If we get a long, hard winter we'll get to Easter with about 30% of the tank left, more if we start closing off bits of the house and living downstairs with the fires, which will cover us until September-November. After that - assuming we can get gas - we'll have to see...

and how many homes built since about the 1960s have got fireplaces?
we have a fireplace, we have, atm, coal but it has doubled in price and apparently won't be for sale to the public as of May next year because only smokeless will be allowed. Our fire needs to be roaring to burn smokeless. Our coalman has quit buying coal, great :(

Back
Top Bottom