Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

Apparently less than 10 degrees can be dangerous to older people, especially if they are recovering from something, and as someone who has lived with an open fire in the NE of Scotland I can tell you only heating bits of the house is unfortunately a false economy. We now have the fire on trickle much of the winter(it doesn't burn more fuel). It took 3 days to get the rest of the house back to an ok temp after that 26 hr powercut last November.
I'd check supplies of fuel before you even think about going for an open fire. Not sure where you live but coal in the UK doubled in price at the start of September and apparently won't be sold as of next April, only the smokeless shite which ime won't burn on an open fire til the fecking thing is roaring. We've had to go over to peat, that's £9 a bag and we're mixing peat, coal(already bought) and wood and just hoping something 'good' will happen on the coal price front :(

Yes...I meant 5 degrees outside.

The octogenarians wont be cold. The house is actually massively insulated. My dad put in triple insulation after the bitter winters in 2010 and 2011. The windows are double glazed too so once some heat builds up the place does hold heat well. But we wont be running the heat to reach 23 degrees like other winters.

The fire would be timber only...ig we go down that route. I am hoping some really good electric heaters will be a better option. My brother picked up 2 wall electric heaters to check them out. He has no central heating. But has triple glazing and the entire house is massively insulated. He didnt have to run more than one heater last winter. So I will try out one of those. If we dont attach it to the wall we can move it around.

We won't be cold....we just wont have the heating on all the time.

I've worn my thermal leggings for the past 2 days under a dress. They're really cozy. I'm pretty sure we will manage. Once we keep the rooms the octogenarians are in warm it'll be alright.

I was reading this...

And other articles where they say that 3 and 4 day weeks are being conaidered because of energy costs. And shorter days.
I would think a 4 day week would be a good idea. We teach 183 days a year. If spread out over 4 day weeks it would mean that the school would stay open potentially longer in the summer. Currently we close for nearly 9 to 12 weeks over June, July and August (depending on whether its primary or secondary school)

If we worked shorter weeks during colder months it would be no harm.
In the Uk kids do 190 days a year (staff do 195) and the summer break is six weeks - but there is some scope.

My issue with the whole thing being about heating and fuel is that so many kids will be much colder at home, and won’t have access to free school meals.

I'm thinking of having one of the gas fires removed so we can have a real fire. I believe it does not entail much?

i have a feeling it may not be as simple as that - depends of course whether it was a proper fireplace adapted for a gas fire. think someone on here did start a thread about re-opening a fireplace not that long ago.

If spread out over 4 day weeks it would mean that the school would stay open potentially longer in the summer.

when i was at primary school, they did come up with the bright idea one winter to make the xmas holiday a week longer than usual and take a bit out of the easter / summer holidays, so as to save on heating.

everything froze solid, so we ended up with an extra week on top of the planned week. and think they had to repair bits of plumbing where pipes had burst...

That said, we can actually afford the heating, it's more about not wanting to pay through the roof.

Ditto.

I had smart meters fitted recently, so I can actually see how much energy I am using at any moment in time or check my use by every half an hour on the OVO site for pervious days, plus a new combi boiler has replaced the other one that was over 30 years and should use at least 30% less gas for heating.

The Combi boiler means it costs me about 10p for a shower and washing up water, it used to cost around 40p to heat the hot water tank for the same use.

I've got an Air-flyer this week, just under £47 new, that will use less electric, e.g. I did some sausages & chips in it and used just 0.4Kw, if that had been done in the oven it would be about 1.5kw, saving about 33p, not a lot, but it soon adds up, the Air Flyer should pay for itself after about 142 times it is used.

I've got a couple of spot lights in both the kitchen & bathroom which are not energy efficient, unlike all my other blubs, because the pervious people left behind a loads of spares. But, they are now going to be replaced, to see cost per hour for electric use almost double from 4p with a laptop, Alexa for the radio & fridge/freezer doing its thing, to 7p when I switch on 2 of those spot lights is nuts.

Can't see how I can reduce my electric use further, the big different can be made on heating, I'll still have it on for 18c first thing in the morning to take the chill off the place, otherwise it's warm slippers, fingerless gloves, and my new 'space-suit' if it gets seriously chilly, it makes me look like a complete twat, but fuck it. :D

4y.jpg

Just to add, following my complaint to the energy ombudsman about over charging for electric by OVO, since they took over SSE, being resolved, my combined energy account is still over £600 in credit, despite dropping my DD to just £1pm a few months back, just so I can keep the cheaper rates for paying by DD.

Before all this shit started to kick-off I was paying £60pm, that should be £125pm now, with the government's discount of £65+ per month from Oct-Mar, plus the new boiler & reduced use of heating, my target is to be still be in credit come April despite only paying £1pm.

My issue with the whole thing being about heating and fuel is that so many kids will be much colder at home, and won’t have access to free school meals.

It's a problem here too.
Although schools dont have school meals here in general. Students bring their own lunches.
There are some schools, particularly in deprived areas, where pupil teacher numbers are lower and meals are delivered. It's a problem
Because there is an implication that deprivation is based on location. Its crazy.

I worked in a very old cold school when I started teaching. The principal didnt turn the heating on until December. No matter what. It didnt make a massive difference anyway...
There were single block walls and no insulation. The windows rattled in their frames. And we all got pneumonia at worst and chillblains at best... Everyone wore multiple layers of clothing. I can remember wearing a vest, t shirt, polo neck jumper, knitted waistcoat, cardigan, tights and trousers and socks...wool coat .. hat scarf...gloves....
The students all wore coats indoors plus often wore their pjs under their uniforms.

It will probably be like that in some schools. Although many are much more energy efficient with double glazing and insulation.

We work 5 hours 40 mins direct teaching per day. 183 days for Primary schools and 167 for post primary. That doesn't include agreed non teaching days which account for another 7 days. Nor do they account for in service training and professional development courses which we are encouraged to take during the summer. For example, I would normally do 3 courses...accounting for 15 days.
So my working year would be 205 days normally. With 2 weeks off at Easter and 1.5 weeks at Christmas.
Well that was what my working year used to be. .. sadly not any more.

I will struggle through the winter as I have learnt to do, trying not to turn on the heating because it doesn't work, there is no insulation and single glazed leaky windows. So I will be wearing most of my clothes, trying not to work from home because that just doesn't work in a cold house.

My bed with its electric blanket will be the warmest place in the house.

Telly....only on from 6pm to 10pm
Toaster .... once a day per person.
Will use the crockpot a lot.
And airfrier. As opposed to oven or gas hob.
Boiling the kettle....3 times per person per day.
Microwave....unlimited use.

This discriminatory policy has clearly been written by an anti-toast tea fanatic.

If I was living under this regime I would stage a protest.

This discriminatory policy has clearly been written by an anti-toast tea fanatic.

If I was living under this regime I would stage a protest.

Well there are three teas per person per day. So there are 4 of us...and if each of us makes a pot of tea that's 12 pots. So plenty tea for all.
The toaster takes 4 slices. So again thats 16 toasts a day. I may give my toast to someone else in the family.

Well there are three teas per person per day. So there are 4 of us...and if each of us makes a pot of tea that's 12 pots. So plenty tea for all.
The toaster takes 4 slices. So again thats 16 toasts a day. I may give my toast to someone else in the family.
But that's 48 teas vs 16 toasts, a ratio of pieces of toast to cups of tea of 1:3 whereas the correct ratio is 2:1.

If they are big mugs then it's even worse because the toast quantity becomes yet more deficient.

And teapots are wrong in any case.

I'd certainly be looking at trying to escape from whatever kind of institution you are running there.

Got the new rate for electrical service. It only went up a little less than 6%. I can't believe that I think that's actually a good number. Next month is the big one where I'll see how much the heat bill will go up. My mother's bill went from just under $100 to $190.

We have invested in some big cosy fleecy hoodies, and will hopefully be able to keep the central heating off until as late as possible, and even then only have it on minimally.

Normally it stays off until October. We’re going to try to keep it off until November this year.

Remember, by the way, to do your meter readings as close to the end of September as you think feasible before the suppliers’ websites crash. And even then, interrogate them about bills. We had a battle over several months after this cap because British Gas kept insisting on using estimated readings, despite the fact that we send regular readings.

In fact, they double counted, because they paid our winter quarter using a surplus they accrued on our account, and then charged us again for it once the surplus had gone! Check, double check, ask for paper bills, and don’t trust online accounts: they can be (and are) changed!

Cancelled my direct debit after provider told me they wouldn’t consider reducing it unless I filled in a patronising budget form

Looking for a new provider which allows the customer to reduce their payments. I don’t use the heating generally until it gets below zero

We have invested in some big cosy fleecy hoodies, and will hopefully be able to keep the central heating off until as late as possible, and even then only have it on minimally.

Normally it stays off until October. We’re going to try to keep it off until November this year.

Remember, by the way, to do your meter readings as close to the end of September as you think feasible before the suppliers’ websites crash. And even then, interrogate them about bills. We had a battle over several months after this cap because British Gas kept insisting on using estimated readings, despite the fact that we send regular readings.

In fact, they double counted, because they paid our winter quarter using a surplus they accrued on our account, and then charged us again for it once the surplus had gone! Check, double check, ask for paper bills, and don’t trust online accounts: they can be (and are) changed!

I normally turn mine on about Oct. 15-20. I bought an electric blanket and I'm hoping to hold off for a while too. All I really need to do is to keep the pipes from freezing. I can use the blanket to keep warm at night.

Mrs21 told me to get meter readings in today to beat the price rise 🤣 She can't read the meters as they are in the basement , via a 5 rung ladder , or through the basement flat , I'm sure they'd let us traipse through their bedroom to read the meter but I don't want to.

That ladder means we haven't been able to get smart meters as energy company staff can't climb down ladders , whereas blokes of 57 can 🙄

Edinburgh Film Festival, the Filmhouse cinema and now the Modern Art Gallery 2 building have all closed/folded in the last fortnight because of 'a perfect storm' of cost of living increases, energy bill increases and reduced audiences.

Edinburgh Film Festival, the Filmhouse cinema and now the Modern Art Gallery 2 building have all closed/folded in the last fortnight because of 'a perfect storm' of cost of living increases, energy bill increases and reduced audiences.
Wow thats bad
I was speaking to someone this week who works at the ICA in central London
they said its not uncommon for some of their film screenings to have zero sales...and it wasnt like that precovid
no idea about their finances, probably subsidised to the eyeballs, but that doesnt sound sustainable

Wow thats bad
I was speaking to someone this week who works at the ICA in central London
they said its not uncommon for some of their film screenings to have zero sales...and it wasnt like that precovid
no idea about their finances, probably subsidised to the eyeballs, but that doesnt sound sustainable
It's really noticeable how quiet central London cinemas are, presumably because a lot of people are working from home (local cinemas still seem pretty busy). I went to Curzon Soho on a Thursday night recently and screen 1 -- which is v big -- had ten people max in it. (I had a free ticket and I imagine some other people did too). The bar was closed when I arrived at 7:30 which is unheard of. :(

(The ICA does show some quite niche stuff mind.)

Back
Top Bottom