Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

I wonder how much electricity my computer uses?

It is the most on electric item I have.
According to Google

A complete desktop uses an average of 200 Watt hours (Wh). This is the sum of the average consumption per hour of the computer itself (171 W), the internet modem (10 W), the printer (5 W) and the loudspeakers (20 W). Assuming that a computer is on for eight hours a day, the annual consumption comes to 600 kWh.

I don't use a printer so that is 5W down, and mine is only on for perhaps 4 hours a day weekdays.

They're just regurgitating the article they published back in the spring about a summer of unrest:
smiley_yawn.gif

Note the bit about the likely increase in police corruption:
Greater financial vulnerability may expose some staff to higher risk of corruption, especially among those who fall into significant debt or financial difficulties

as if it wasn't bad enough already.

How much electricity your TV uses largely depends on what kind of TV it is. According to the blog EcoCostSavings, the average TV will use around 0.0586 kilowatts per hour, when they are switched on – which is equivalent to a 60W light bulb.26 Aug 2022

I don't use a TV..

Have you got/can you put a good lock on it? You might need to :(

There was an attempted burgarly out in the wilds of Powys where the would-be villains attempted to use a stolen forklift to simply run off with the tank. They got stuck in a lane with an empty tank - they'd lifted it off its standings, the pipes had been ripped out the bottom, and presumably the regulators had been damaged, and all the gas flowed out...

(Aquisitive crime out here is off the scale, every night there'll be some attempt. Lots farmers have constructed physical barriers like ditches and 1ton concrete blocks on their access points)

Things must be tough for HRH and her loveable mop haired brood. Having to heat all them palaces must be expensive. We should set up a crowdfunding for them . Tourism yeh.

Things must be tough for HRH and her loveable mop haired brood. Having to heat all them palaces must be expensive. We should set up a crowdfunding for them . Tourism yeh.
We can use Buckingham Palace as one of these proposed warmth banks

Not far! I called them and got nowhere as was not the account holder, even tho I have LPA. I have now written to them (pretending to be my Mum) requesting all meter readings, past bills, and explanation of how the debt has seemingly accrued, and asking why it’s been changed mid contract and an explanation of why they think they can legally do this. I marked it as a complaint.

Awaiting reply. Have done a bit of research about the complaints process and ombudsman service.

Have you heard from them yet?

As you have researched the complaints process and ombudsman service, you will know once a complaint has gone in they have 8 weeks to resolve it before you can escalate it to the ombudsman, and you are at around the 4 week period now.

Be warned the ombudsman service is very busy ATM, and if you put in a complaint with them it is likely to take some weeks before they appoint a case handler, but from my experience, once that happens it moves very quickly, although when they have made their ruling, the company have another 4 weeks to comply.

In my case OVO took another 10 days after that deadline to actually resolve it fully, but the relief when it happens made the wait worth it, at one point my account was showing me as being over £300 in debit, now it's just over £700 in credit (inc. a £150 'goodwill payment'), despite me reducing my DD to just £1 per month once my ombudsman case handler was appointed. :)

I've only kept the DD going to prevent them from putting me on a higher tariff.

It looks like we can finally answer the question raised by this thread.

According to the Guardian/BBC:

18m ago11.05

BBC: Truss to freeze energy bills for 18 months

The BBC are reporting that Liz Truss is planning to freeze household energy bills at the current level for this winter and next, paid for by government-backed loans to energy suppliers.

During a news bulletin citing its business editor, the BBC said:

“Energy companies would take out government guaranteed loans to bridge the gap between the wholesale price in the market and the fixed price they are charging customers.
Those loans would be repaid over the next 10 to 20 years through supplements to customer bills.”
The scheme could cost between £100bn and £130bn, it added.

So:

• The government will borrow (mechanism not clear yet, maybe bonds?) and we - all of us - will pay this back through higher bills over the next two decades.
  • At a stroke a massive transfer of money from us to the billionaire energy providers of around £100Bn will therefore take place
  • Corporate profit will remain untouched: no windfall tax on profits it appears
  • these companies will also have corporation tax cuts on top
  • no assistance for those already struggling to eat or heat as far as I can see
  • The Bank of England will say the plan supports high energy prices - which is the main driver of the current inflation - and so will increase interest rates again
  • A further permanent lowering of living standards is about to occur for millions
ETA The sun is reporting that the handout to the rich will be paid through general taxation…

Last edited:
It looks like we can finally answer the question raised by this thread.

According to the Guardian/BBC:

18m ago11.05

BBC: Truss to freeze energy bills for 18 months

The BBC are reporting that Liz Truss is planning to freeze household energy bills at the current level for this winter and next, paid for by government-backed loans to energy suppliers.

During a news bulletin citing its business editor, the BBC said:

The scheme could cost between £100bn and £130bn, it added.

So:

• government borrowing and we will pay this back through higher bills over the next two decades and at a stroke a massive transfer of money from us to the billionaire energy providers of around £100Bn will happen.
  • Corporate profit will remain untouched: no windfall tax on profits it appears
  • these companies will also have corporation tax cuts on top
  • no assistance for those already struggling to eat or heat as far as I can see
  • The Bank of England will say the plan supports high energy prices - which is the main driver of the current inflation - and so will increase interest rates again
  • A further permanent lowering of living standards is about to occur for millions
Energy companies get state handouts,but they have enough money themselves to help household greedy b******s

Gsv and I are going to have the 'energy strategy' conversation today. We are in the minority for whom its not a massive issue, but that doesn't mean we're not going to change how we do things as we'd rather be able to spend money on other stuff.

I'm wondering if this year we'll see intergenerational moving in together, and hence overcrowding as people with kids move in with their parents or vice versa because neither household can meet costs alone.

Energy companies get state handouts,but they have enough money themselves to help household greedy b******s
they could keep prices as they were in 2019, 20 and take a hit but massively improve their public image. the government could legislate a maximum price that's actually affordable for most people and give grants to those in need. they chose instead to do the worst thing, to safeguard the profiteers. so for me truss's first act in government will prove to be undermining the legitimacy of government for people who'd perhaps never thought so much about such matters before.

Does anyone think wfh will become a thing again and schools will return to remote teaching for a couple of days a week?
It must be costing schools a fortune to run the heating.

Turning on the heating....
Not happening. Unless its below 5 degrees in the daytime. We have had an energy meeting and agreed the following.

I've bought the octogenarians some merino under crackers 😁 long johns etc.. and we will layer up with extra jumpers and cardigans.
All sockets are switched off except when in direct use.
All lights are off unless we are in the room.
No gas fires will be used
I've an economy electric heater which can be moved from room to room as needed.
Got the octogenarians an electric underblanket which is zoned as mum loves a warm bed but dad likes to be cool in bed.
Mum has an old fur coat which she says she will wear indoors if she needs to ..
I have my granny's fur coat and one from my aunt from the 80s. It can go on the bed if needed.
The sunroom gets lovely and warm any day in autumn or winter if there is sun. So that will get used and will direct some heat into the kitchen.

Telly....only on from 6pm to 10pm
Toaster .... once a day per person.
Will use the crockpot a lot.
And airfrier. As opposed to oven or gas hob.
Boiling the kettle....3 times per person per day.
Microwave....unlimited use.

As we will all be at home ...once dad gets out of hospital...we will stay in bed later than usual. And go to bed earlier.
Exercise will be important so plan is walk 60 mins a day in the afternoon.

The government here is talking about asking the public to avoid cooking during peak hours so the crockpot will come in handy.
We will have a hot meal middle of the day...maybe 2pm. And maybe soup and toasted (or not) sandwiches at 7.30pm.

The heating is gas boiler...which has been checked. But wont be on unless it's really quite cold.

I'm thinking of having one of the gas fires removed so we can have a real fire. I believe it does not entail much?

Its a bit scary ...because minding old people means keeping them warm. I hope we are doing the right thing.

Does anyone think wfh will become a thing again and schools will return to remote teaching for a couple of days a week?
It must be costing schools a fortune to run the heating.
Not a chance. Damage from lockdowns has been too terrible is too many ways.

If they change things it’ll be allowing kids to wear coats in class, as they did when the windows were open during covid.

Not a chance. Damage from lockdowns has been too terrible is too many ways.

If they change things it’ll be allowing kids to wear coats in class, as they did when the windows were open during covid.

I was reading this...

And other articles where they say that 3 and 4 day weeks are being conaidered because of energy costs. And shorter days.
I would think a 4 day week would be a good idea. We teach 183 days a year. If spread out over 4 day weeks it would mean that the school would stay open potentially longer in the summer. Currently we close for nearly 9 to 12 weeks over June, July and August (depending on whether its primary or secondary school)

If we worked shorter weeks during colder months it would be no harm.

Turning on the heating....
Not happening. Unless its below 5 degrees in the daytime. We have had an energy meeting and agreed the following.

I'm thinking of having one of the gas fires removed so we can have a real fire. I believe it does not entail much?

Its a bit scary ...because minding old people means keeping them warm. I hope we are doing the right thing.
Apparently less than 10 degrees can be dangerous to older people, especially if they are recovering from something, and as someone who has lived with an open fire in the NE of Scotland I can tell you only heating bits of the house is unfortunately a false economy. We now have the fire on trickle much of the winter(it doesn't burn more fuel). It took 3 days to get the rest of the house back to an ok temp after that 26 hr powercut last November.
I'd check supplies of fuel before you even think about going for an open fire. Not sure where you live but coal in the UK doubled in price at the start of September and apparently won't be sold as of next April, only the smokeless shite which ime won't burn on an open fire til the fecking thing is roaring. We've had to go over to peat, that's £9 a bag and we're mixing peat, coal(already bought) and wood and just hoping something 'good' will happen on the coal price front :(

I know it's still September but I'm already wearing a wool jumper over a long sleeved top, then a scarf on top. Grandma's thick wool socks, too. Early in the morning/late in the evening I walk around wrapped in a wool blanket. I've been taking cold showers for a month or so. Once the temperature drops some more I will roll out the heavy artillery - my water bottles and perhaps even my trapper hat. My partner is walking around in a t-shirt and laughing. But I am impressed with myself - normally I'd be heating the crap out of the house at this time of the year. I've got a little bit of money to spend so considering whether to buy wrist warmer fingerless gloves (to wear indoors) or merino base layers (and whether top or bottom).

That said, we can actually afford the heating, it's more about not wanting to pay through the roof. My heart goes out to people who literary can't heat their house, this will be such a horrendous winter. But hey, at least the rich can still heat their swimming pools alright at the taxpayers' expense.

Back
Top Bottom