Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of living- what’s going to happen?

i think there is a big chance of public disorder though
We’ve had over 10 years of Tory austerity & no one’s got angry. Everyone is treading water at a ‘grassroots’ level - as said earlier, the students can’t even kick off, they’re struggling too, & if there’s to be any disorder then we need the younguns.

I was having a rant in my own head today whilst driving home - why can’t the working class unions be more militant like the Spanish & the French? I mean, proper kick the fuck off, but we can’t & the cunts in power know it.

don't know how much larger an event you think will do it than many thousands of people being put in peril of dying from hypothermia
I suppose what I meant would be one of those people in particular cutting through - wasn’t the events in Tunisia which kickstarted the Arab spring someone self-immolating?

HIGHRISE.GIF

A mass non-payment of energy bills seems not impossible, in the very least. Even if for no other reason that so many people will simply not be able to pay it, full stop.

economic background:

"A July survey of more than 8,000 UK adults carried out by the housing charity Shelter and YouGov has revealed that close to 40% of UK households are just one paycheque from potential homelessness.

The survey found that 37% of respondents would be unable to cover their housing costs for more than a month with almost a quarter of those surveyed saying that they would be unable to pay them at all if they lost their job.

UK consumer borrowing doubles as cost of living bites​

" The amount of extra debt taken on by UK consumers doubled last month, according to data from the Bank of England on Friday, raising fears that people are resorting to credit cards and other forms of borrowing to fund increases in the cost of living. The BoE data found that UK consumers borrowed a net £1.8bn in June, up from £0.9bn in May, most of which was on credit cards. The annual growth rate for consumer credit hit 6.5 per cent, the highest level since before the coronavirus pandemic."

Last edited:
We’ve had over 10 years of Tory austerity & no one’s got angry. Everyone is treading water at a ‘grassroots’ level - as said earlier, the students can’t even kick off, they’re struggling too, & if there’s to be any disorder then we need the younguns.

I was having a rant in my own head today whilst driving home - why can’t the working class unions be more militant like the Spanish & the French? I mean, proper kick the fuck off, but we can’t & the cunts in power know it.
My theory is that the French government knows that the people won't put up with it and they regularly don't put up with it. The Spanish were under the jackboot of fascism and won't let that happen again easily. The Brits however need sudden flashpoints to rise up.

Police & Crime bill will get used no doubt, they got that through just a couple of months ago, massively widening the range of ways you can be a criminal if you protest.
Was thinking about that - like, the stuff the PCSC bill criminalised was mostly low-level stuff that had been previously legal (well, obv the only things it criminalised were stuff that had previously been legal, but you know what I mean). But like actual rioting had been illegal in March 1990 and August 2011, and that didn't seem to stop people then. So how much of a difference will it make? Dunno.

Was thinking about that - like, the stuff the PCSC bill criminalised was mostly low-level stuff that had been previously legal (well, obv the only things it criminalised were stuff that had previously been legal, but you know what I mean). But like actual rioting had been illegal in March 1990 and August 2011, and that didn't seem to stop people then. So how much of a difference will it make? Dunno.
I think the difference is in its provisions regarding stopping protests before they happen, by criminalising turning up.

kick what off? A load of arrests are likely, more than there'd have been before the act passed, but that doesnt get anywhere does it?
you don't know until it happens. who gets arrested. why. in what circumstances. who'd have thought that the cops shooting dead mark duggan would have kicked off the biggest riots since fuck knows when, when their killing so many other people hadn't? you don't know what will lead to what until it does.

No, that bill won't make any difference to it kicking off I think. If we're thinking activists and lefties there might be some demos and even riots, but most people outside those bubbles don't know and even care about that bill I would say. What is going to be critical is a base of strength in areas and workplaces, partly involving the unions where possible but also probably dealing with them trying to re-direct struggles and anger into less confrontational stuff (some unions might be different). The reality is it needs to involve a fuck load of people previously not 'involved' in politics, and if anything much of the left will be an hindrance rather than a help.

I think that strength takes years to build in times of low struggle, but can be built very quickly as how things are now. The Don't Pay thing is an example of how something might start and then hopefully escalate. But I don't think it'll be one thing, if anything grows and has potential I think it'll be on the background of the 'cost of living crisis' (hate that term btw) but then it'll need other stuff; a hard winter maybe, Ukraine/Russia war escalating, crop failures impacting Europe, etc.

I think the difference is in its provisions regarding stopping protests before they happen, by criminalising turning up.
Obviously the situation in Russia is very different from here (to put it mildly), but what seems to have happened there is that protest got criminalised so they don't protest there anymore, but they do molotov recruitment offices and sabotage train lines. With the caveat that there's only a small number of people doing that, but they're quite effective tactics. So who knows?

i am a big pessimist and don't want to piss on anyone's hopes for what might come of the expected "kicking off".
There's a Pat the Bunny song I'm quite fond of called "We'll get arrested, or shot", that's usually about the upper limit of my political hopes tbh.

It’s such a shitshow that we are paying EDF, so basically buying our triple priced electric from the French government.

On 'the warm day' last week we paid Belgium 5000% more than the usual price for electric so people in Kent could still run their air-con.

Bloomberg reported that National Grid Electricity System Operator (ESO) had to pay £9,724.54 per megawatt hour to bring much-needed electricity from Belgian suppliers. It is estimated that the price was more than 5,000% the typical price on Wednesday.

No, that bill won't make any difference to it kicking off I think. If we're thinking activists and lefties there might be some demos and even riots, but most people outside those bubbles don't know and even care about that bill I would say. What is going to be critical is a base of strength in areas and workplaces, partly involving the unions where possible but also probably dealing with them trying to re-direct struggles and anger into less confrontational stuff (some unions might be different).

I think that strength takes years to build in times of low struggle, but can be built very quickly as how things are now. The Don't Pay thing is an example of how something might start and then hopefully escalate. But I don't think it'll be one thing, if anything grows and has potential I think it'll be on the background of the 'cost of living crisis' (hate that term btw) but then it'll need other stuff; a hard winter maybe, Ukraine/Russia war escalating, crop failures impacting Europe, etc.
you might be right. but equally you might be very wrong. if you imagine a demonstration to parliament led by maybe vicars, housewives, people who aren't the usual suspects, demanding concessions over fuel prices in the context of hundreds of dead pensioners and some dead children, that march being attacked by the police - utterly legally, of course, they're just enforcing the police & crime act. who'd have thought a loyal march in 1905 could lead to the greatest crisis the romanovs had before 1917? so there's some precedent for demonstrations leading to a great crisis for the state.

Completely different as you know well.

Well exactly, I guess what I mean is I'm not that interested in a demo that 'kicks off' - the State generally has no issues dealing with them. What will be interesting is stuff that happens that's a real challenge to capital/State; mass refusal to pay or work type stuff. Especially if (as has been said) it runs alongside demos across the country with a wider mix of people involved. And alongside our ability to wield power and provide essential services to people to get them over the crisis. Standard stuff, but stuff that takes work.

What air con? The vast majority of homes in the UK don't even have it. A tiny minority of air con users are the wrong people to get angry at.

Chill Winston. It was a throwaway remark for effect, reflecting the extra electricity was indeed for the south east of England.

Chill Winston. It was a throwaway remark for effect, reflecting the extra electricity was indeed for the south east of England.

Maybe the the biggest city in the UK being located in the SE has something to do with it. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom