Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

The ‘unthinkable’ is terrifying to envision.

Im already hearing advice (social media) to stock up on canned goods and water, just in case.

Yeah, taking advice from idiots on social media is always a great idea, did you stock up before brexit?

Yeah, taking advice from idiots on social media is always a great idea, did you stock up before brexit?

Lol, I get your point, but I’m getting the impression that this (Coronavirus) is spreading faster than anticipated and with China being central to the global economy, it may well be prudent to take some precautions.

It is entirely understandable that some people on social media started going on about that sort of thing now.

Yesterday the US CDC started going on about pandemic possibilities, and have recently mentioned updating their existing flu-based pandemic plans in case they need to apply them to Covid-19.

That, combined with other indicators this week, is expected to trigger this sort of thinking. Indeed I was asked a question yesterday where part of my response was this:

Dont get carried away hoarding certain items, no panic buying or shelf stripping, but maybe consider slightly increasing the amount of spare supplies of certain things you keep at home.

And that sort of thing is a feature of the sort of pandemic advice that the USA has given to its citizens in the past.

I havent looked for any updated Covid-19 pandemic advice the US may have published yet, I'm assuming its still slightly too soon, but here is an example from their 'Get your household ready for pandemic flu' guide from April 2017.

Plan to have extra supplies of important items on hand. For example, keep on hand extra supplies like soap, hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol, tissues, and disposable facemasks. If you or your household members have a chronic condition and regularly take prescription drugs, talk to your health care provider, pharmacist, and insurance provider about keeping an emergency supply of medications at home. These supplies can always be used for a different emergency and then restocked.

From page 8 of https://www.cdc.gov/nonpharmaceutical-interventions/pdf/gr-pan-flu-ind-house.pdf

Of course this advice is not quite the same as hoarding all manner of things like water. But such messages and planning have long been given a higher profile in the USA, and probably some other countries, than has tended to be the case in the UK.

Last edited:
It is entirely understandable that some people on social media started going on about that sort of thing now.

Yesterday the US CDC started going on about pandemic possibilities, and have recently mentioned updating their existing flu-based pandemic plans in case they need to apply them to Covid-19.

That, combined with other indicators this week, is expected to trigger this sort of thinking. Indeed I was asked a question yesterday where part of my response was this:

And that sort of thing is a feature of the sort of pandemic advice that the USA has given to its citizens in the past.

I havent looked for any updated Covid-19 pandemic advice the US may have published yet, I'm assuming its still slightly too soon, but here is an example from their 'Get your household ready for pandemic flu' guide from April 2017.

From page 8 of https://www.cdc.gov/nonpharmaceutical-interventions/pdf/gr-pan-flu-ind-house.pdf

Of course this advice is not quite the same as hoarding all manner of things like water. But such messages and planning have long been given a higher profile in the USA, and probably some other countries, than has tended to be the case in the UK.

I shall certainly add to my at least 60% alcohol supplies

Yeah, can’t do any harm I suppose.

Be aware that however shit the Government is, there are plans in place to protect Critical National Infrastructure (CNI). These plans are tested to assure a minimum level of availability of these services to be maintained during worse incidents than this mild (for 80%+ of those infected) disease. In addition, the plans also include recovery of these services within an acceptable timeframe, if disrupted. Water is listed as part of the CNI. There may be some reduction/disruption in the realistic worse case scenario of this service but it will be resumed as a priority. Be assured this work has little to do with competence of the wankers at Downing Street.

Be aware that however shit the Government is, there are wider plans in place to protect Critical National Infrastructure (CNI). These plans are tested to assure a minimum level of availability of these services can be maintained during worse incidents than this mild (for 80%+ of those infected) disease. In addition, the plans also include recovering these services within an acceptable timeframe if disrupted. Water is listed as CNI as while there maybe some reduction/disruption in the realistic worse case scenario this service will be resumed as a priority. This has little to do with the wankers at Downing Street.
protect it for who?

In the coronazombie future, people will think of ‘wear a mask’ as we think of ‘duck and cover’. :(

The ruling class will be very aware that the continued protection of their capital by the state relies on a minimal level of services for the population. Plus major incident planning is a wide responsibility for various section of those in the defined services.
yeh - the population will receive a minimal level of service.

Sensible, proportionate preparation would be wise. Don’t skint yourself by wildly buying all the things but maybe adding non-perishables that youll use anyway to your cupboards will not cause harm.

Back
Top Bottom