Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Yes I was referencing the tweet before...the Wrong Tweet, apologies it looked like the fucking hell was a response to the post prceeding it, I dont actually see tweets without copying and pasting URLs due my anti-twatter settings so I sometimes miss them (Note: No angry shouty twats were harmed in this message)

Yes I was referencing the tweet before...the Wrong Tweet, apologies it looked like the fucking hell was a response to the post prceeding it, I dont actually see tweets without copying and pasting URLs due my anti-twatter settings so I sometimes miss them (Note: No angry shouty twats were harmed in this message)

Explains a lot.
Never knew there were such things as anti twitter settings.
Interesting to know.

Last edited:

Cheers for replying and clearing that up.

What a decision to have to make.

"As hospitalizations climb, the Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency (EMS) directed ambulance crews not to transport patients with little chance of survival to hospitals and to conserve the use of oxygen."

Positivity rate here in Ireland is 20.8%.
According to the covid app today. That's based on previous 7 days average.

6000 cases reported yesterday from testing.

HSE CEO has suggested anyone with any symptoms more than likely has covid19 now and should self isolate.

With only 40000 vaccines for the entire month of January it's hard not to see it as a complete and utter fuck up.

Meanwhile the underground party scene in LA is carrying on regardless:

Apparently two suspected organiser of the NYE rave in France might face up to 10 years in jail (probably just prosecutors bluster though)

Specifically due to B.1.1.7 Israel have changed their strategy, introducing a full lockdown (including schools), despite having the fastest vaccination programme rollout of any country by far.

Portugal has hit a record 10k cases today . It’s the north and the centre round Lisbon/ Coimbra that are still the drivers . Fortunate where I am in the South that there’s not many cases . Everything is still open bar the airports

Italy will announce new measures on Friday but I think we can already see in the daily case numbers that the much harder Christmas lockdown here compared to the UK has had a real impact on bringing numbers down again.

The Australian government is as inept, corrupt and right wing as the uk government. But even so there's a subtle cultural contrast that's made for a different lockdown narrative.

Obviously there's huge differences in covid transmission due to the space and weather we have here, but still, when and where a hard lockdown's necessary our experience of essential services, lockdown rules, and the consequences for breaking them has been much tighter than the UK.

I'm wondering if this is because the government have more confidence in applying stricter rules, because they know and trust from our regular large disasters, that the population have the resilience and necessary solidarity to follow them.

Last edited:
The Australian government is as inept, corrupt and right wing as the uk government. But even so there's a subtle cultural contrast that's made for a different lockdown narrative.

Obviously there's huge differences in covid transmission due to the space and weather we have here, but still, when and where a hard lockdown's necessary our idea of essential services, lockdown rules, and the consequences for breaking them has been much tighter than the UK.

I'm wondering if this is because the government have more confidence in applying stricter rules, because they know from our regular large disasters that the population have the resilience and necessary solidarity to follow them.
Or, it's not actually all that much to do with the rules, and more to do with geography.

Spain also had very strict lockdown rules as I understand it.

Or, it's not actually all that much to do with the rules, and more to do with geography.

Spain also had very strict lockdown rules as I understand it.

Yes, I get what your saying about the geography ( I think) but I'm not talking about the rate of transmission but the governments capacity/ confidence to make harder lockdown rules.

Some anecdotal reports of reinfection post-vaccination, however one should bear in mind full protection won't be achieved until a few weeks after the course is completed plus, trial data would suggest, around 1 in 20 recipients (of BNT162b2) are still going to get ill, albeit not seriously so. Likely that also means at least 5% of the vaccinated can still act as vectors.

Last edited:
Yes, I get what your saying about the geography ( I think) but I'm not talking about the rate of transmission but the governments capacity/ confidence to make harder lockdown rules.
I know. But there are other countries which had similarly hard lockdown rules yet saw a much worse outcome. Spain being an example. Perhaps Australia's timing of the lockdown was better, and significant, and that could be to do with the government but it could also be a consequence of geography.

To be clear, when I say geography I'm not mainly talking about how spaced out people are, I mean things like controllability of borders and the number of people travelling to and from other locations.

Quite a lot of speculation that Portugal might shut commercial businesses at 1pm at weekends . Dunno whether that would be regional or national though.

I know. But there are other countries which had similarly hard lockdown rules yet saw a much worse outcome. Spain being an example. Perhaps Australia's timing of the lockdown was better, and significant, and that could be to do with the government but it could also be a consequence of geography.

To be clear, when I say geography I'm not mainly talking about how spaced out people are, I mean things like controllability of borders and the number of people travelling to and from other locations.

Ok, I get what your saying, and yes we have a huge advantage with the borders, timing etc :) I was commenting on what gives a government the ability and confidence to actually make harder rules, rather than what the outcomes are based on geography or timing. Perhaps some of the confidence comes from knowing that they have the geography to enforce them.

Perhaps it's also something to do with the population always being drilled to be disaster ready. It's a way of life.

But geography doesn't explain the differences in things like what is considered an essential service, or maybe it does as in regional and remote areas services are already reduced . I also think that the Aus gov had increased confidence to close more services / businesses because they have the experience of seeing a large amount of people managing without during times of disasters, and more importantly perhaps not blaming the government because of the overall acceptance of environmental/natural disasters. There is a demonstrated compliance by the population.

I wonder what gave the Spanish gov the confidence. And did it not work because of their geography or because disasters aren't a way of life for their population..

Really I'm just wondering about why Boris Johnson ditthers so much I suppose

Last edited:
^^^Interesting. I guess here in the UK it's not been so much lack of confidence as lack of conviction on the part of Boris Johnson. The remark about the "freedom-loving British people" as opposed to the rule-following continental Europeans. Even in last Monday's (or whenever it was - the coronacalendar is getting a bit blurry) lockdown address, he couldn't help himself saying - and later tweeting - that he was sure that the British public was sick of getting more government instructions around this. When my perception was that the opposite is true - people were desperate to see some leadership, and for measures that would actually bring the situation under control.
Having said that, when it all started back in spring, I was admittedly also wondering how well people would follow it, also perceiving the national spirit, if there is such a thing, to be a bit more rebellious than in say, Germany. So I don't know how well restrictive measures would have flown if the situation wrt threat of death to loved ones and threat to the healthcare system hadn't been so grave, then and now.

^^^Interesting. I guess here in the UK it's not been so much lack of confidence as lack of conviction on the part of Boris Johnson. The remark about the "freedom-loving British people" as opposed to the rule-following continental Europeans. Even in last Monday's (or whenever it was - the coronacalendar is getting a bit blurry) lockdown address, he couldn't help himself saying - and later tweeting - that he was sure that the British public was sick of getting more government instructions around this. When my perception was that the opposite is true - people were desperate to see some leadership, and for measures that would actually bring the situation under control.
Having said that, when it all started back in spring, I was admittedly also wondering how well people would follow it, also perceiving the national spirit, if there is such a thing, to be a bit more rebellious than in say, Germany. So I don't know how well restrictive measures would have flown if the situation wrt threat of death to loved ones and threat to the healthcare system hadn't been so grave, then and now.
one day boris johnson will have a conviction

Back
Top Bottom