Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Supremely wealthy and knowing the covid is not going to affect them or their family?
I meant the stated reasoning, not the reality.

(Though I should say that I know fuck all about the place or people involved!)

Supremely wealthy and knowing the covid is not going to affect them or their family?
No, I don't actually think that's at all the case for Caputova - she's from a working class family, there's no guilded political class in Slovakia (yet). It's sad we're so used to living under such bastards that this is what we expect of leaders. I mean, Slovakia's politics leaves much to be desired I am sure, but at least they haven't got a public school system and the 'leaders' that produces.

So, considering whether to take the family to Tenerife for Xmas, if the 'non-essential travel' advice is lifted and normal travel insurance is therefore available. Can anyone who has spent more time looking at this comment on their much lower cases per million people? Less testing, more testing? Is the relevant metric actually active cases as a % of the population?

Didn't book anything for fear of change in rules.

For people that did though, if you booked the Canaries when they opened the travel corridor a week ago, I assume you can't go if you booked for November?

It does look like the pandemic marks an inflexion point in the rise of Chinese and Far Eastern technological and global influence relative to the West. It's a huge change that has occurred within the lifetimes of many people posting here and iit's accelerating.

How we're seen: drawing from the South China Morning Post contrasts a sensible Chinese woman with dozy-looking Western manchild.

15fb159e-7665-11ea-ab8f-988daf8efd6f_image_hires_155527.jpg

When I open the link it has ‘coronavirus free to read’ emblazoned across the top.:hmm:
That is puzzling. Maybe there's a limit or they don't like adblockers (beyond a limit; I've been able to access their free stuff before...)

854 deaths in France. Fuck

Well you know I'm not one to downplay deaths, quite the opposite, but I will take the opportunity to add this explanation to the reporting of deaths in France, and what we should therefore expect on certain days in future:

The sharp rise of the daily death toll is in part due to the fact the nursing homes fatalities are taken in account twice a week, on Tuesdays and on Fridays.

From 3h ago 19:13

And based on their hospital figures I expect it to get much worse.

Since I last did this graph I fixed the Italy data because my previous version didnt include intensive care patients in the overall hospital numbers there. And the UK figure is at an awkward moment due to a data blip so best not to read anything into the recent change in trajectory just yet.

Number of Covid-19 patients in hospital:

Screenshot 2020-11-03 at 23.23.35.png

2020 setting itself up for a strong finish...

Mutated coronavirus from mink is a threat to humans

The situation regarding corona infection among mink has now developed to a critical stage in North Jutland.

According to B.T.'s information, a mutated coronavirus migrated from mink to humans and has since spread strongly among the citizens of Vensyssel in North Jutland.

On Tuesday, the government received a note from the Statens Serum Institut, which has exposed the mutated coronavirus to antibodies. The result, according to SSI, was deeply troubling because the mutated coronavirus did not respond well to the antibodies.

Thus, there is a risk that a possible vaccine against covid-19 will not have the desired effect if the mutated virus from mink spreads further among humans.
:eek:

I think its Covid-19 but the articles I've seen so far are badly worded in key places.

The Covid-19 in mink is not news, and the Netherlands already did a cull some time ago as a result. The mutations in question are news, but very unclear news due to the way the stories have been written in English so far.

I would need to know more about the strain in question and the mutations in question before I could say more. In particular the stuff about antibodies is very poorly worded in the following article:

Ms Frederiksen cited a government report which said the mutated virus had been found to weaken the body's ability to form antibodies, potentially making the current vaccines under development for Covid-19 ineffective.

In theory the default thing I'd assume from reading that is that they mean the strain in question is sufficiently different to the main strains in humans at the moment that the antibodies people produced in response to those common human strains are a poor match for the strain that has passed back to humans from mink. So you could catch the mink version even if still immune to the other strains, and a different vaccine may be required to offer protection against the mink strain. Because that would fit with my previous knowledge on the broad subject of viral mutations. But the way they've worded it points in a different direction, they make it sound like this strain does something to the bodies antibody production capabilities. But I suspect that may just be down to poor government communication or translation or interpretation by journalists. I will see if I can find out.

The Guardian managed to include enough detail that its still a fit for the assumption I mentioned in the last message.

The country’s health authorities fear the new strain could prove to be more resistant against a vaccine. Kåre Mølbak, head of the State Serum Institute, the national authority for the control of infectious diseases, said the strain had mutations on its spike protein, the part of the virus that infects healthy cells.

He said the strain posed a potential threat to the efficacy of Covid-19 vaccines, which work by disabling the spike protein. “There is a risk that vaccines targeting the spike protein will not provide optimal protection against the new viruses occurring in mink,” a report published by the institute said.

Denmark’s health minister, Magnus Heunicke, said laboratory research had “shown that mutations may affect current candidates for a vaccine against Covid-19”. He said: “It is a threat to the development of vaccines against the coronavirus. This is why we must lead a national campaign.”

The World Health Organization said it had been “informed by Denmark of a number of persons infected with coronavirus from mink, with some genetic changes in the virus”.

Back
Top Bottom