Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Nice article on spread in different settings

Hard lockdown in Slovakia now according to my folks - essential shops only, people only allowed out 1-5pm, and also in their case 9-11am for 'oldies shopping', as mum puts it!

I congratulated them on being in a country that's actually attempting to bring numbers down properly.

Hard lockdown in Slovakia now according to my folks - essential shops only, people only allowed out 1-5pm, and also in their case 9-11am for 'oldies shopping', as mum puts it!

I congratulated them on being in a country that's actually attempting to bring numbers down properly.

What is the furlough scheme like? Is there a furlough scheme?

Last edited:
451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact customerservice@idahopress.com or call 208-467-9251.

Ah, ok another link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/30/idaho-covid-lieutenant-governor/

The video shows Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin (R) sitting in the driver’s seat of a pickup truck, a Bible in her hand, as she rails against the coronavirus restrictions carried out in the state she helps lead.

“We recognize that all of us are by nature, free and equal, and have certain inalienable rights,” she says, grabbing a gun and placing it on top of the Bible with a wide smile on her face. “Among which are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing and protecting property and pursuing happiness and securing safety."

Plenty of Democratic and Republican governors have faced backlash from a vocal minority of residents and lawmakers for their health directives, but few have faced such vocal opposition from their No. 2 in the state capitol. Alabama’s lieutenant governor, Will Ainsworth (R), blasted a statewide mask mandate instituted by Gov. Kay Ivey (R) over the summer.

What happened to all FT coronavirus coverage being free to read?

Good link from krtek a houby above :), but my best way of remembering how to get FT stories was just to Google the exact headline -- does that still work?

Also, a good while back, the FT were making some of their Covid-related stories free to read anyway -- it that still the case or not? :confused:

Long but very worthwhile article from Chuang on the pandemic, lockdown, and worker organising during both. Also has some interesting insights into the responses by elements of the Chinese State and people living in China and why they were effective.

545 more deaths in France. Fuck, :(

I'm not sure how of a mistake it might be to attribute all of the numbers in this section of their dashboard to care homes, given that EMS is also mentioned, but it looks like a lot of those deaths are coming from there rather than hospital figures. Which is tragically not a surprise as we can see from the confirmed cases stats for EHPAD & EMS that high numbers of confirmed cases have suddenly been reported in those stats recently. As shown in the orange graph part of this screenshot I took of the dashboard, along with that red tile detailing cumulative and daily deaths.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 23.10.04.png
Elsewhere on the dashboard we have the hospital deaths. For both of these death statistics, the number in brackets is todays reported figure, so that total you have for today is the sum of 255 hospital deaths and 290 EHPAD & EMS deaths.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 23.38.54.png

I havent found time in the pandemic to study the care home aspect in France properly, but its always sounded like Frances EHPAD care home system was left especially vulnerable in this pandemic, and there are now indications that the same thing has happened again. Horrible stuff. A story repeated in many countries to somewhat varying degrees, and a very particular source of shame and future change.

Back
Top Bottom