Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Some really good news from Spain if the worldmeters site is accurate. Seems like yesterday almost 2000 people came back to life! :eek:

View attachment 214804

Its not just the worldometer site. I've been collecting certain data from Spains official daily update for months, and I didnt enter yesterdays numbers because they went down instead of up and I didnt have time to search for the official explanation.

If there was one piece of data I could choose to have access to for the UK in a timely, localised fashion now, it would quite possibly be that sort of sewage sludge data.

Reading the paper I see that their sewage data was only 3 days ahead of hospital admissions, but thats still much better than nothing.

Its not just the worldometer site. I've been collecting certain data from Spains official daily update for months, and I didnt enter yesterdays numbers because they went down instead of up and I didnt have time to search for the official explanation.

I translated the explanation from an official document and it said:

An individualized validation of the cases is being carried out, so there may be discrepancies with respect to the added notification of previous days.

South Korea re-imposes some coronavirus restrictions after spike in new cases
Thu 28 May 2020
More than 250 new infections were traced to clubs and bars in the Itaewon district of Seoul in early May, while the latest cluster has been linked to a distribution centre in Bucheon, near Seoul, owned by the e-commerce firm Coupang.

Local health authorities have tested about 3,500 of the centre’s 4,000 employees, the Yonhap news agency said, with 69 cases confirmed so far.

The company reportedly failed to enforce preventive measures, such as requiring employees to wear masks and keep a distance of about two metres.

Media reports said some employees had been told to continue working even after they started displaying symptoms of the virus, including a woman in her 40s who is thought to be the first person at the centre to have contracted the virus.

Sk are doing well and didn't need a lockdown but the last conversation I had with my friend everyone was getting fed up with the 2 metre thing and were anxious to return to sine sort of normality, they've had social distancing in place before almost everyone else too

I was so nervous about that stuff that for a long time I refused to give much credit and cheer to nations that had done well in the early days. Eventually I relented and gave credit where it was due, but that doesnt mean I'm any less nervous about their futures, or any more complacent about the challenges they face.

Eventually the UK will be in a somewhat similar position too (albeit presumably with a much higher proportion of health & care staff having already had the disease), which is why I keep going on about the future being lots of local stories of outbreaks in many ways, wth full nationwide lockdown just there in the background as a last resort if we completely lose control again.

Here in Turkey things are getting weird. Mosques reopened today so there's been gathering there (with some restrictions, but still...) As of midnight there's another weekend curfew (uffffffffff) but as of Monday, everything will be open again, apart from bars and nargile cafes (that's convenient!)

I was so nervous about that stuff that for a long time I refused to give much credit and cheer to nations that had done well in the early days. Eventually I relented and gave credit where it was due, but that doesnt mean I'm any less nervous about their futures, or any more complacent about the challenges they face.

Eventually the UK will be in a somewhat similar position too (albeit presumably with a much higher proportion of health & care staff having already had the disease), which is why I keep going on about the future being lots of local stories of outbreaks in many ways, wth full nationwide lockdown just there in the background as a last resort if we completely lose control again.

I think credit and cheer is still deserved by countries that have suppressed the virus to the point where they can count the cases and track them. I really hope that eventually the UK is in a similar position.

Further deflation of the restrictions come into play next week with the exception of Lisbon where 80 percent of new cases are coming from. Restaurants / bars can exceed 50% capacity if they have tables socially distanced and screens between tables, theatres cinemas can open with masks and socially distanced seating , maximum groups up from 10 - 20 , decision to open or close larger shops over 400m square delegates to local councils and a warning that although beaches open next week they’ll be closed if social distancing and occupancy rates are not adhered to. Border between Portugal and Spain open but on designated days . Next overall review every three weeks but Lisbon reviewed weekly .

Our premier has been staunch, in the face of bullying, and has refused to open Qld boarders yet. Not until other states get their numbers down. This has pissed a lot of people off because they like traveling to Qld ( the sunshine state) in winter. Plus our biggest income is from tourism.

But they've started a huge campaign about 'holidaying in your home state', only until now you could only travel 150k, and this wasn't going to be changed to 250k until June 14th.

But today it was announced that the schedules been changed so that from tomorrow Queenslanders can travel anywhere within Qld :) which means I can go and see boy 3 and the grandbaby :)

I personally think that this is a good compromise, between health and economy.

Screenshot_20200531-142714.pngScreenshot_20200531-142705.png
Screenshot_20200531-143343.png

Last edited:
Thought I would revisit the worldometers charts briefly:

1590950581938.png

1590950650607.png

The numbers don't tell a good story, we haven't been testing much, till recently, and don't have so many cases, but we have been counting deaths and we are #2 in the world! No 2.

I would love to believe this, too. But while it's just one article quoting one doctor, I remain sceptical. Also, wouldn't a question be if the virus necessarily would behave that way everywhere? (Genuine question, I have no idea myself.). And if it's only doing this after first ravaging a large part of the population...mind you, we are very much at that point in the UK, so one can dream...

There is no peer reviewed research to verify this hypothesis - there's a clue in the article: "pending scientific evidence to support the thesis".

Other clues are to be found in additional quotes from that doctor:

“We’ve got to get back to being a normal country,” he said. “Someone has to take responsibility for terrorizing the country.”

Not a good look! Although I do understand where they are coming from when they in terms of alarmism about the prospects of the second wave. My own stance is that I have no bloody clue, and my instincts are conflicted. I do not like assumptions about the timing and inevitability of a second wave. But neither am I confident such a scenario will be avoided. And I do expect some future twists to the tale. A lot of these feelings cancel eachother out and I am left with a rather blank sense of what to expect in the future. Its one of the reasons I am about to take a holiday from discussing the pandemic, I will exhust myself with these conflicting feelings, I will go round in circles for who knows how long.

There are also a whole bunch of very different things that can feed into the perception about the current 'potency' of this virus. Has the nature of the virus itself actually changed in some way? Or is there a big difference in the sorts of people who are getting infected with it now, compared to earlier on? eg, to give a very crude example, have the most vulnerable and exposed already been killed off?

There have been jokes in recent months about how we have all become armchair epidemiologists. Well I am a long way away from having the full spectrum of knowledge that epidemiologists have, and some of that missing detail might be very important for understanding the chances of and timing of subsequent waves. I will try to learn a few more things this month to see if it helps, but I fear I'll still mostly be stuck in a waiting game that will sap my energy if I let it.

Ah.

The name of Alberto Zangrillo, however, is strongly linked to Silvio Berlusconi. The professor has been the Knight's personal doctor for several years and has followed him in the various operations that the leader of Forza Italia has undergone in recent years With the passage of time, a friendship was established between the two and not only of doctor and patient. And who knows if he advised the ex-prime minister to move to Nice during the coronavirus emergency.

Machine translated from Chi è Alberto Zangrillo, il medico personale di Silvio Berlusconi

What the fuck is wrong with people, man...

Sense of entitlement plus an unexamined wellspring of contempt which snobbish women in particular sometimes unleash on low-ranking male workers. In the US this is the hallmark of the Karen, in the UK it's sometimes accompanied by a distinctive barking tone of voice reserved for the lower orders.

Back
Top Bottom